Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Schedule charging start time and end time advice please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, it looks like with the new update on my M3P, i cannot set the start and end time of when i want the car to charge. I did a trial run last night and set the off peak rate ending at 04:30 as i am with octopus Go. I set my scheduled departure time for 08:15 with preconditioning turned on but i think this is irrelevant to the set charging times i want. I checked the app at 07:00 this morning and it was still charging so clearly it wont stop charging when the off peak cheaper rate ends.

I want the car to start charging at 22:00 and stop at 04:30. Could anyone advise me how to set this up? I don't have a 7KW charger with that app that would make this easier yet but i plan to get this later in the year. I am currently just using the 3 pin wall charger

Cheers in advance

Reactions: Nmpool
Good question. As a new user with a 3LR on order, I have same questions on charging!

Thought it would be simple (as above), but seems overly complicated. Like I just want to set start and finish time, why is it so difficult? ha

There's never been a way to set both the charge start and stop times from the car directly, you can set one or the other but not both. No idea why, but there are a few workarounds people have tried to get around the problem. My fix is to leave the car set to "charge immediately" and let the timer in the charge point control when charging starts and stops, so it always only charges during the off-peak period.

Not sure why Tesla haven't implemented a proper timed charge schedule, as other EVs have it. It may be because in some parts of the US time-of-use tariffs aren't that commonplace.

Thanks, good explanation.

So you can set the Tesla to charge immediately, in settings like semi-permanently? Or do you have to select it everytime?

I have an Ohme charger being installed, so appears I can set times of charge through this, and then just off peak with Octopus Go.

There are third party apps that can do this by connecting to the car via the API. Ohme and EV.Energy are both free (no need for the Ohme cable) and will tell the car when to start and stop based on understanding your energy provider, and work well with Octopus, including the dynamic agile rates.

More general third party apps like TeslaFi (my choice), TeslaMate, Tesla Stats can send scheduled commands, so simple start/stop charging is easy.

For new users I would suggest some caution with third party apps as they will have a degree of access to your Tesla account, I would suggest doing your own research before accepting risk. Personally I use TeslaFi with it's 2FA which I've decided I'm happy with. I've also tried Ohme which seems to work ok, but not very configurable. I fell out with EV.Energy because something it did kept my car awake but that was a year ago.

So you can set the Tesla to charge immediately, in settings like semi-permanently? Or do you have to select it everytime?

I have an Ohme charger being installed, so appears I can set times of charge through this, and then just off peak with Octopus Go.

Yes, the car remembers the "charge immediately" setting, so you can leave it like this and use something else to turn the charge point on and off as required. I have timers in our charge points, that only activate them during the off-peak period (with an over-ride boost switch for emergencies), but there are several apps that do much the same, including the Ohme one. My personal concern is that for some of these apps to work they need to be given your Tesla account log in details. As they all work via an internet connection, and most probably store your credentials somewhere on someone's cloud server, I'm a bit cautious about using such an approach - it's a bit like giving you car keys to a stranger.

Hi, it looks like with the new update on my M3P, i cannot set the start and end time of when i want the car to charge. I did a trial run last night and set the off peak rate ending at 04:30 as i am with octopus Go. I set my scheduled departure time for 08:15 with preconditioning turned on but i think this is irrelevant to the set charging times i want. I checked the app at 07:00 this morning and it was still charging so clearly it wont stop charging when the off peak cheaper rate ends.

I want the car to start charging at 22:00 and stop at 04:30. Could anyone advise me how to set this up? I don't have a 7KW charger with that app that would make this easier yet but i plan to get this later in the year. I am currently just using the 3 pin wall charger

Cheers in advance

As has been said you can't presently do both start and stop times (unfortunately). The solution that I use is to just set the start time ... in your case 22:00. You then (on one occasion) note what percentage that you are able to add to your battery over a 6.5 hour period. You now know what to set your charge percentage at on your Tesla app because you just add that to your present SOC percentage. In my case I know that I can add 56% during my cheap rate so if my SOC is 30% when I plug in I can set my battery limit on the app to anything up to 86% and still be within the cheap rate.

As others have said that isn't possible. You can either setup a start time, and work out by the time it will take to charge and adjust your charging limit to that. Alternatively use an app such as EV Energy, you can put in your tariff and it will only charge in off peak times.