Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Schedule Departure One Time Only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my Model Y yesterday and I love it!

I'm leaving for a trip tomorrow morning and I would love the car to be 100% and ready to go at 6:45 so I wanted to use schedule departure. Seems like you can't do it from the Tesla ios app and from in the car you can only set it for weekdays or everyday. I ended up setting it for everyday and will just cancel after I get in the car tomorrow.

Is there really no way to set up a one time scheduled departure? I also have the SharePoint and Stats application and they don't see to allow for a one time Scheduled Departure either.

When you set the Tesla for Scheduled Departure and specify a departure time two things will happen. The Tesla will compute when it needs to start charging so it will complete charging NLT 0600 (Tesla always assumes that peak grid usage, also peak rates, begins at 0600, your time.) The second thing that will happen is the Tesla will turn on the climate control so that at your specified departure time the cabin temperature should be close to what you had previously set, any seat heater settings are also applied. The option for all week or just weekdays only applies to the climate control so if you normally sleep in on Sat and Sun the Tesla will not automatically warm up the cabin on those days.

I would not be concerned if charging to 100%, the battery will not be harmed by sitting at 100% for a few hours. If this is a concern you can set the charging limit to 90% the night before you leave, in the morning top off the battery before you depart.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Earl
The scheduled departure "feature" is a pathetic, unfinished, buggy mess, so don't rely on it. It also has that problem that @jcanoe mentioned, where whatever programmer they assigned this to within Tesla assumed that everyone around the world has the same peak and off-peak electricity rate times as California, so it stops at 6:00 AM no matter what--useless.

So here's the easiest most practical way that's available right now. Just set your limit for a little over 90% for overnight and let it do its thing. (Scheduled start time still works perfectly fine.) Then, when you get up in the morning, open the app on your phone, move the limit up to 100% and get it charging again, while you shower, have breakfast, and get ready. It'll be nearly to 100% by the time you're ready to leave. It may sound like an unnecessary work around, but it's simple and foolproof.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Yeah, blame the developer :) Doing a more flexible system requires more time and work. It's possible that product management decided not to invest the proper time developing this and redirected effort to other features... Ask me how I know :D
Yes, I full well am going to blame the developer, because of fundamental specifications for a feature. The fundamental #1 requirement of a "Scheduled Departure Time" feature is that the USER selects the time! If the specific programmer who is doing it decides that he or she knows better and thinks that it should stop at 6:00 AM for whatever reason instead of the time that the user selected, it has failed to meet the basic minimum criteria for the function.

Yeah, blame the developer :) Doing a more flexible system requires more time and work. It's possible that product management decided not to invest the proper time developing this and redirected effort to other features... Ask me how I know :D
Hahaha...as a product manager, I'd say that the failure on this feature falls with the PM, too.

Honestly, really wished they would fix the Schedule Departure Time feature and add this and the Scheduled Start Time to the Tesla mobile app.

I just got my MY 1+ week, also getting puzzled about to use this auto scheduled/departure option.

Here is my scenario:

When I get home after work, I'd like to start the charging right away. I don't care about the electricity rates' difference as much. This way I'd have a peace of mind that the car is always close to full charge as a 'stand by' readiness just in case I have to go out at nights. However, I do like the auto climate feature, so I do like to have the car warmed up to the temperature around 7am every morning. But I realized if I set up the auto departure schedule as 7am, the car seems stop charging the night before, it would probably start charging a few hours before 7am as long as it'd have sufficient time to make the full charge by that time.

Any suggestion?

The car will not do what you would like. You either charge now or you use scheduled charge. Scheduled will finish at 6am or sooner and will top up and heat / cool a bit before you leave.

Your only alternative is to use other tools. For example, some tools like teslafi or others let you define automation rules. You could use tasker on an android phone with some extensions to send commands to your car. There's just nothing out of the box by Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
The car will not do what you would like. You either charge now or you use scheduled charge. Scheduled will finish at 6am or sooner and will top up and heat / cool a bit before you leave.

Your only alternative is to use other tools. For example, some tools like teslafi or others let you define automation rules. You could use tasker on an android phone with some extensions to send commands to your car. There's just nothing out of the box by Tesla.

Thanks! Just wanted to make sure that I didn't miss anything in the setup. Looks like Tesla is 'bonding' the scheduled charge and scheduled departure together. Hope they can decouple these two set up in the future update.

My Scheduled Departure hiccuped this morning and didn't work at all. First time it hasn't worked for me after successfully using it 5 or 6 times. I think I'll follow Rocky_H's advice and wake up to 90% and set 100% to charge as I get ready. Maybe a bug in the new software update?... anyone else seeing this? I only use the feature once a week, but when I do, I need it to work correctly. Yes, it would be SO much more useful if it was selectable on the app. Also need to make the 0600 off peak hour a selectable on/off feature.