TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Schedule Time to Charge

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Soolim, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Soolim

Soolim Member

#1 Soolim, Aug 2, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
    I wished MS Schedule Time to Charge will have an option that considers the departure time. That is, one programs the time to leave home, and the car will start charging the battery to the set charge limit at the right time so that the car is ready to leave. I think that the car conditions the battery temperature during charging, and it would be nice to drive when the battery is still at its right temperature. Too early charging means the battery is charge but has cooled off so that it needs to be reconditioned again.

But short of that, I made a spreadsheet to calc the charging time based on my normal driving schedule. The spreadsheet is attached.

View attachment Time to charge miles.xls

2. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

If they'd just steal the implementation used on the Volt, that's be a great start... The scheduling software there is top notch...

Jeff

3. mikeash

mikeash Active Member

Seconded. This would be great for a range charge where you want it to sit at 100% for as little time as possible. Tell the car you're leaving at 9:30 and it'll hand you 100% at precisely 9:30. That would be nice.

4. 1101011

1101011 Proud TSLA/SCTY shareholder since 2012.

Especially in the winter, when you'd like to have a warm battery and warm car.

5. Khatsalano

Khatsalano Member

The Chevy Volt has this function.

Too bad that UI is a pain to work with. I sometimes drive Volts for work and I just don't bother anymore with that interface.

- K

6. gnxs

gnxs Member

My wife's Focus EV has the functionality too. She always leaves home with a nice warm car/battery in the Winter.

7. gordo

gordo Member

So I developed a bash script that does exactly this and it runs on my wireless router every night when I go to bed. It has different target SOCs for weekdays and weekends. When I go on vacation or need to make a specific change, I simply log into the router's web UI and modify the target SOC.

I asked a few months back if anyone was interested in a service or small device that would do this, but didn't see much of a response...

8. Soolim

Soolim Member

did you make the small device?

9. beeeerock

beeeerock Active Member

Can you expand a little on how your script accomplishes this?

10. hingisfan

hingisfan hingisfan_Mark_V

You could do this with VisibleTesla daily commands too.

11. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

You can use pytesla to write a python script that does this as well. It should be fairly trivial. I used it to pull stats off of my car to dump into Splunk and it was straightforward.

nside/pytesla · GitHub