TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Scheduled a Toronto test drive "international driver license required"

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by MikeL, Oct 27, 2013.

1. MikeL

MikeL some guy

Will be in Buffalo NY next month so I made a reservation for a test drive across the river. The conformation email says:

" Please bring a valid driver’s license and arrive at least 15 minutes early to begin the check-in process. If you are visiting us from outside the country we require an International driver's license. All drivers must be at least 25 years of age. "

huh? Really, from USA to Canada? Seems to me like something one might need coming from other countries to US and/or Canada, but not between the two. OTOH if you are in Canada, the US is, indeed "outside the country" so I don't know. Oh, and WTH is an "international drivers license" anyway. Google search looks like it's a scam. Not long ago I rented a car and drove it all over Ireland -right hand drive!!- no mention of such a thing. Any info for me?

Btw, I'm asking here first, of course :biggrin: I'll contact the Toronto store eventually. Thanks, ML

2. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I'm pretty sure that your US driver's license will be just fine.

My Canadian driver's license was "just fine" when I test drove a Roadster at Menlo Park.

3. Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill Active Member

I got to test drive in San Jose with a Norwegian licence. Luckily, someone there knew Norwegian. I think the important part is that they can understand what it says. (Silly to let someone drive with a Chinese library card, or something.) But this can vary, I would think.

4. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

It's a standard email. It's not just that the International License is readable, it's that it's of an acceptable standard.

Many countries have basic tests for drivers that you wouldn't consider tough enough. That includes India.

5. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

As was mine at the Newport Beach store.

Are they still asking for the signed waivers before test drives? I had to sign them both in Toronto and California before I could go on the test drive. Not a huge deal, but I thought it was a bit much. Never had to do anything like that test driving other cars.

6. MikeL

MikeL some guy

Thanks to All, I figured my Utah DL would work. The thing has more authentication stuff on it than my passport does, and probably some secret ones too.

I will let you know how it "goes". Fast, I imagine :biggrin: ML

7. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

I test drove a Model S last August at a Get Amped event.
    I queried the international license requirements but they let me drive on my Australian drivers license.
    I think you will be fine.