Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled a Toronto test drive "international driver license required"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MikeL

some guy
Jan 24, 2013
Will be in Buffalo NY next month so I made a reservation for a test drive across the river. The conformation email says:

" Please bring a valid driver’s license and arrive at least 15 minutes early to begin the check-in process. If you are visiting us from outside the country we require an International driver's license. All drivers must be at least 25 years of age. "

huh? Really, from USA to Canada? Seems to me like something one might need coming from other countries to US and/or Canada, but not between the two. OTOH if you are in Canada, the US is, indeed "outside the country" so I don't know. Oh, and WTH is an "international drivers license" anyway. Google search looks like it's a scam. Not long ago I rented a car and drove it all over Ireland -right hand drive!!- no mention of such a thing. Any info for me?

Btw, I'm asking here first, of course :biggrin: I'll contact the Toronto store eventually. Thanks, ML

I got to test drive in San Jose with a Norwegian licence. Luckily, someone there knew Norwegian. I think the important part is that they can understand what it says. (Silly to let someone drive with a Chinese library card, or something.) But this can vary, I would think.

My Canadian driver's license was "just fine" when I test drove a Roadster at Menlo Park.

As was mine at the Newport Beach store.

Are they still asking for the signed waivers before test drives? I had to sign them both in Toronto and California before I could go on the test drive. Not a huge deal, but I thought it was a bit much. Never had to do anything like that test driving other cars.

Thanks to All, I figured my Utah DL would work. The thing has more authentication stuff on it than my passport does, and probably some secret ones too.

I will let you know how it "goes". Fast, I imagine :biggrin: ML