Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled charge vs let it charge on its own

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've done some light research and can't find anything either way, so I figured I'd ask here... I live in an area that doesn't have any time-of-day energy cost differences - so given that, is there any short-term/long-term benefit of turning off scheduled charging and let it charge when the car wants to when it's plugged in (up to 80-85%) or keep scheduled charging turned on? I always keep it plugged in when it's at home and in the garage as per Tesla's (and everyone else's) recommendations.

I know there's guidance about letting it go through cycles and not letting it get to extremes very often, but I haven't seen much guidance on if its better to schedule or not, or if scheduling is a convenience option for those that do have ToD energy rates. Any recommendations here? (We're all passionate Tesla folks; I'm SURE there's going to be recommendations.)

Following.. I am curious as well. I plan on charging at work during the day (free EV slots in company parking lots), and at home as needed. My question is more if I should leave it plugged in at home even when a charge is not necessary and/or can I just leave it plugged into a standard outlet at home since it will charge to my 80% each workday. I am moving in early Winter, so trying not to invest in a higher output outlet in the current house. I do have outside standard power outlets.

Following.. I am curious as well. I plan on charging at work during the day (free EV slots in company parking lots), and at home as needed. My question is more if I should leave it plugged in at home even when a charge is not necessary and/or can I just leave it plugged into a standard outlet at home since it will charge to my 80% each workday. I am moving in early Winter, so trying not to invest in a higher output outlet in the current house. I do have outside standard power outlets.

Tesla recommends leaving it plugged in whenever you can, regardless of if its charging or not. The car will wake up periodically for checks and diagnostics and such, and if it's plugged in it'll pull power from the wall for those routine activities versus taking it from the high volt battery (thus preserving your range.)

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I think people overestimate this idea that the car is constantly waking up to do miscellaneous battery maintenance things. That doesn't really happen much.

Please understand that Tesla is trying to keep things simple for a very general public audience and having to dispel some weird myths of "Battery cars are scary and can blow up!" kinds of things. So there was some fear of people thinking EV's could "overcharge" if they were left plugged in, which Tesla was having to dispel, and they don't want people avoiding plugging in, and then being mad because they forgot to charge and didn't have enough range to drive, etc.

So they are trying to encourage people to have the habit to just go ahead and plug in as often as they want and not avoid doing it. That way the car will always have enough range.

But as long as you are avoiding the extreme high and low ends of the charge state, it's pretty much fine and not going to make a difference when you plug in at home or whether it's scheduled or not, or if you miss a day or two.

What I use Schedule Charging for is to ensure that the completion of charging coincides with when I leave in the morning. Specifically if it's cold out AND I have a long distance to drive. It does really work and loss of range from cold weather is a lot less. Plus loss of Regen from having a cold battery is mitigated. Other than that I don't see any reason to use it if you have same cost of electricity all day.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
But as long as you are avoiding the extreme high and low ends of the charge state, it's pretty much fine and not going to make a difference when you plug in at home or whether it's scheduled or not, or if you miss a day or two.

Thanks - that's helpful and confirmed what I was already thinking. I flipped it out of scheduled charging mode, since it's in the garage charging, I'll let it do its thing whenever it wants.