Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled Charging and Software Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

omarsultan

Supporting Member
Jun 22, 2013
Northern California
Anyone know if scheduled charging resumes after a scheduled SW update? The specific scenario is that I have timed charging kick off at midnight (ToU EV plan). If there is SW update scheduled for say 1am, does anyone who this would play out?
1) The SW update will abort since the car is charging
2) If the SW update kicks off, will the car be smart enough to resume charging after the reboot

O

Yes, remembered it for updates 4.5 -> 5.6 -> 5.8.

My last Software update was at 3AM, I schedule charging for 2AM and it usually takes 4 h (HPWC at 60A for 150 miles or so). Therefore, update was during charging, and in the morning I had a full battery.

Does anyone know if there's trickle charging if the car is left plugged in yet not driven for a few days? In other words if I'm away on travel and the car auto updates with the new firmware and left plugged in, will the car's vampire drain be negated because it's left on the plug?

Sorry for the newbie question.

Yes--Tesla's advice is to leave your car plugged in whenever you are not driving . I have seen this in my own car, where range will drop across the day while its sitting in the garage (due to vampire drain), then top off again at night when the scheduled charging kicks off. Before I got the ToU meter, I noticed the range would drop a couple miles then top off.

O

Interesting story about that. I watched my car all day as it vampire drained after charging the night before. Then at night, the car was set to charge starting at midnight and going to 5am. At 3:30, it had not started charging. The next morning it did have a full charge. I don't know how, but it is like it knew it only needed a top off, so it waited to the end of the window.