Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled Charging Bug

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BACKGROUND: Time of Use Plan; off-peak hours 7pm-7am, weekends and holidays

Assuming you have the car set to only charge off peak hours during the weekday (and not weekends also), I’ve experienced the following issue:

- Car charges fine Thursday night off peak
- Drive car Friday am, come home and plug in before 7pm
- Car will start charging immediately during Friday peak hours (before off peak hours start at 7pm)

Anyone else have this issue? I

BACKGROUND: Time of Use Plan; off-peak hours 7pm-7am, weekends and holidays

Assuming you have the car set to only charge off peak hours during the weekday (and not weekends also), I’ve experienced the following issue:

- Car charges fine Thursday night off peak
- Drive car Friday am, come home and plug in before 7pm
- Car will start charging immediately during Friday peak hours (before off peak hours start at 7pm)

Anyone else have this issue? I
Have you set your home location in the Navigation system? The off-peak charging is active whenever the Tesla vehicle's GPS detects that the vehicle is parked at the home location.

Yes, I have my home location set.
First, I would try re-setting the Home location while parked just outside of the garage (if you park in a garage the GPS signal may not be reliable inside the garage.) Next, set the Off-Peak Rate charging window from 1201 AM to 0700 AM to see if that solves the issue. In almost all cases when you are charging at Level 2 (240V) daily charging will take less than 7 hours; off-peak charging always calculates the latest start time so that off-peak charging will complete by the end of the off-peak charging window. (In my experience off-peak charging always seems to finish at least 15 minutes before the end of the off-peak window.)

Yes, there is currently a bug where it charges immediately during the day on Friday. I first noticed it two weeks ago and confirmed it one week ago. I presume because it sees no delayed departure time for the next day, it assumes it can charge immediately. An egregious and obvious bug that never should have made it out of test at Tesla.

I assume the current hack is to also designate off peak charging for the weekend, then turn that option off on Saturday when you drive and move it back to week days only. You’ll also need to change the precondition settings to off since you might not have a specific departure time/ schedule for the weekend. Kind of a PITA...

I don’t think you can set the beginning of your off peak hours, only when they end.
You are correct, I was blanking on setting only the end of the off-peak charging window. I have scheduled departure turned on, set for 0630 AM but I don't plug in to charge every evening so I never encountered the Friday bug or perhaps only once and since it did not recur on other days of the week I thought it was a one time glitch.

what might help if you use Teslafi is to put a schedule item to set the charge limit low, maybe 60% at some appropriate time like noon. Then when you get home, plug it in and it should not charge. Of course you also need a schedule item to set the limit up again whenever your time of use kicks in.

the easiest way to do this is to just set scheduled charging time. Ignore the off peak hour system in the car and schedule it to start charging whenever your off peak hours start. Works perfectly that way for me.

Attachments

• BF8BD107-E213-47D9-BDCD-85713153023A.png
    BF8BD107-E213-47D9-BDCD-85713153023A.png
    682.1 KB · Views: 78
  • Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H