Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled Charging failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a known Scheduled Charging software bug?

My car has been at Tesla Service for going on 2 weeks with no explanation and with estimated completion dates being pushed back every day (new estimated date I got today is next week/ first estimated date was the afternoon of the day that I dropped it off).

My car will charge no problem if I turn scheduled charging off so if this is a known software bug that can be fixed with the next download, I would rather go back and get my car so that I will at least have a car to drive instead of continuing to accrue Uber credits every day.

Scheduled charging works on my 2020. If you are more than 6 hours past the scheduled charging time when you plug in, it will not charge until the next day's scheduled time. Scheduled charging is for setting the charging start time, not the scheduled departure time (the time your vehicle should complete charging).

Reactions: zoomer0056
Scheduled charging works on my 2020. If you are more than 6 hours past the scheduled charging time when you plug in, it will not charge until the next day's scheduled time. Scheduled charging is for setting the charging start time, not the scheduled departure time (the time your vehicle should complete charging).
Thanks. I have a refreshed 2021 Model S (LR). Since I am now working from home, I don't have a scheduled departure time so don't use that one.

The issue is if I leave my car plugged in all day (say from a morning Costco run) and it is scheduled to charge starting at 9 pm, I wake up the next morning and discover it has not charged. Rinse and repeat many times (leave car plugged in for 48 hours/ plug in car right before 9 pm/ etc.) and you get my problem. The odd thing is that sometimes it does start charging at 9 pm like it's supposed to. If I go to the garage after 9 pm and it's not charging, I can unplug the car and plug it back in and it starts charging no problem (or if I turn off scheduled charging, it charges no problem).

It appears to my non-technical eye to be a software issue which is why I wondered if this was a known issue.

The minor issue I decided to take care of while the car was in for service anyway (TuneIn hadn't worked for weeks throwing a no connectivity message when Spotify and other apps worked) got fixed by the guy checking me in who asked me to show him the problem. We did the reset of the screen and it fixed the connectivity issue with TuneIn. Had I known that they were so backed up with service calls that they could end up keeping my car for weeks waiting in their parking lot (hopefully not months), I would have taken my car back and tested scheduled charging again at home to see if the reset (holding scroll wheels down for 10 seconds) worked on that too.

I’ve encountered that if I came home after midnight with scheduled charge, it’ll wait till the following evening to start the charge. Wish they would just establish charge windows, but this is more of a nuance than a bug.

Otherwise no issue experienced

I’ve encountered that if I came home after midnight with scheduled charge, it’ll wait till the following evening to start the charge. Wish they would just establish charge windows, but this is more of a nuance than a bug.

Otherwise no issue experienced
I wish that were my case. I let it sit 2 days thinking the same thing but it didn't charge the second night either. Tried several other plugging situations: plugging in the morning (no charge at 9 pm), plugging in afternoon (sometimes charge at 9 pm but sometimes not), and lots of others. Oh well. The last message I got from Tesla service was that their diagnosis team has been too busy to even look at my car yet so 2 weeks of sitting around with nothing being done. Sign of Tesla sales outstripping its ability to service their cars.

I used to always use scheduled charging on my Classic S, but somewhere along updates in 2021 Tesla completely broke the software. After 3 instances of waking up to an uncharged car, I no longer attempt scheduled charging.

I wish I could have the factory original software back from 2013. This auto-updating junk has done nothing but break and remove features, install nagware (autopilot prompts), and make the screen extremely laggy when scrolling, navigating, etc. Plus all the monochrome color changes that make it hard to see anything from more than 6 inches away, and moving the controls from the top of screen (at my eye and road level), to the bottom where I have to take my eyes off the road and look at my feet to adjust anything.

Last edited:
I wish that were my case. I let it sit 2 days thinking the same thing but it didn't charge the second night either. Tried several other plugging situations: plugging in the morning (no charge at 9 pm), plugging in afternoon (sometimes charge at 9 pm but sometimes not), and lots of others. Oh well. The last message I got from Tesla service was that their diagnosis team has been too busy to even look at my car yet so 2 weeks of sitting around with nothing being done. Sign of Tesla sales outstripping its ability to service their cars.
My M3LR has the same problem. I have a gen3 wall charger (V22.7.0). In my case, my utility plan energizes the charger only from 11P-7A. It is dark at all other times. Was working fine until last car SW upgrade. Since then, it will not charge at scheduled time of 11:15. If the cabled is unplugged after 11:15 and plugged back in it charges.

My M3LR has the same problem. I have a gen3 wall charger (V22.7.0). In my case, my utility plan energizes the charger only from 11P-7A. It is dark at all other times. Was working fine until last car SW upgrade. Since then, it will not charge at scheduled time of 11:15. If the cabled is unplugged after 11:15 and plugged back in it charges.
I finally got my car back and (knock on wood), scheduled charging works again. I'm not sure whether we have the same issue but before getting fixed, my car would also not charge at the scheduled time but would charge if I unplugged and plugged it back in again.

If you take it in, you should ask about how long the "diagnosis queue" is. The reason my car took 2 weeks is because they had a backlog of issues that required a diagnosis tech to review and my car sat on their lot for 2 weeks waiting for a tech to look at it.