Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled charging issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received my M3 12/31 and I recently set up a scheduled charge to start at 11pm everyday. I noticed last night my charge didn’t begin until 11:15pm abs today it didn’t even notify me that the charge hadn’t begun or that it was stopped. I noticed that if I begin charge of the car and stop it then attempt to restart from app it will not. I have to manually go outside unplug and replug so it can begin the charge once again. I use the standard plug in my garage for now as I am awaiting installation of a NEMA14-50 and don’t have any other closer plug to it. Is anyone else experiencing issues ? The first few days the charging worked fine and now I’m worried that not even two weeks in I’m starting to have issues with it

A simple troubleshooting tip could be to turn off all scheduled charging and just plug it in and charge. Start and stop it from the app and from the car. If it all works, then you're probably looking at a software issue with the recently updated scheduled charging feature that Tesla clearly released a bit too early. If you have problems not related to scheduled charging, you might have an issue with your car, the UMC (charger), or the power going into it.

Congrats on the new car!

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and Vram09
I've had the same scheduled charging issue. I set to 1:00AM and it doesn't start at that time. Over the past 2 weeks the car charged 3 times but at 6:45AM. I rebooted many times, did shutdown, turned off/on scheduled charging. I am supposed to have a mobile service out this Monday, but Tesla says they have found no issues with the car when doing remote diagnostics and requested I do most recent 0.30 firmware update. This update failed. Tesla ordered a new UMC even after I started in the messaging that I have a wall connector that I use. I rebooted the car again today given the failed update yesterday and changed charging to 1:30AM. Let's see what happens tonight.

Tesla Mobile Service came out yesterday to diagnose the scheduled charging issues. Apparently they couldn't see any log items from the times it didn't charge at 1:00AM. The technician cleared the cache and re-pushed ...30 firmware since it failed when installing previously. This morning car didn't charge at 1:00AM, but did start charging as soon as I woke the car up via the app. Same as previous times after the ....28 firmware that it started charging when car was woken up and not when scheduled. Wonder if there is a software issue where software is not properly triggering charging when in deep sleep.

I think the guy up above has it right. I experienced this error last night for the first time, the day of my trip, so now I am at a Supercharger paying for it. After the 1/6 update, I had all kinds of small annoying problems, like premium sound won’t hold favorites. And more than the usual connectivity issues, like you can use Valet feature, but it takes a half hour to get out of it. There are a lot of people complaining about your issue, but a lot are different but similar. I don’t think the last update a week ago helped.

I found that after a software update or a reboot, the pre-conditioning toggle defaults to On even though scheduled departure is turned off and scheduled charging is turned on. I've had to go into the menu item and turn off pre-conditioning and the charging with work fine on next charge cycle. Another issue I found that can prevent scheduled charging is if there is USB error such as the USB drive that is plugged in is corrupt. Reformatting or unplugging USB drive will then fix issue and scheduled charging occurs next cycle properly. Allot of quirks. Currently I am having the scheduled charging issue again after it has been working fine for a few weeks (after doing the described steps). Need to do some more troubleshooting.

I found that after a software update or a reboot, the pre-conditioning toggle defaults to On even though scheduled departure is turned off and scheduled charging is turned on. I've had to go into the menu item and turn off pre-conditioning and the charging with work fine on next charge cycle. Another issue I found that can prevent scheduled charging is if there is USB error such as the USB drive that is plugged in is corrupt. Reformatting or unplugging USB drive will then fix issue and scheduled charging occurs next cycle properly. Allot of quirks. Currently I am having the scheduled charging issue again after it has been working fine for a few weeks (after doing the described steps). Need to do some more troubleshooting.
I have been having the same type of problem for about 10 days. Started after I had scheduled a charge for a trip, but when I got back and turned off scheduled charging it wouldn't charge during the day when I plugged in, but didn't say "charging scheduled" either, which was throwing me off. What was strange was that it would charge what I perceived to be overnight. I read this thread, went in and noticed the "off peak charging" toggle was on, with the hour to start at 6am. Mystery solved. Works now with no interruption.