Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled Charging Mystery Solved (Starts Charging Immediately)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, I've finally solved a mystery that I and others have reported, namely, you set up scheduled charging, and the car starts charging immediately. Some have said this happens because the car does some charging to figure out how long it will take, but I think the problem is a misunderstanding of the interface.

Here's a video that explains the problem and its solution:

In other words, in Mac (or windows) a button usually states what will happen if you click it, as seen here (click "Open" to open the file)

Screen Shot 2021-08-20 at 9.57.47 AM.jpg

But in the car's interface, the button shows you the current state, and clicking it will change the state:

Screen Shot 2021-08-20 at 10.03.28 AM.jpg

I was clicking that button as if to confirm (OK) the scheduled charging. It's such a paradigm shift from Mac or Windows, that I'm not surprised that after a year and a half with the car I still hadn't understood the interface.

Here’s another possibility for the car ignoring charging schedule. Some third party apps, notably Optiwatt, continue to interfere even after you delete their app.

Shortly after taking delivery of a MS a month ago, I downloaded Optiwatt to my iPhone to do a better charging job. Shortly after, I decided I didn’t want Optiwatt and deleted it. Unfortunately, Optiwatt continued to override my Tesla app’s plans for charging, even though I thought it was gone. I have contacted Tesla and Optiwtt bout this problem, and I hope they will get it fixed.

Meantime, if you are having unusual problems, change your Tesla app password to make sure no apps are controlling your car without your permission or awareness.

Unfortunately, Optiwatt continued to override my Tesla app’s plans for charging, even though I thought it was gone. I have contacted Tesla and Optiwtt bout this problem, and I hope they will get it fixed.
Sorry, but your not understanding how it works is not something for them to fix. The app on the phone is for you to contact Optiwatt's servers to give input and make changes. Then it is their servers that contact your car and send commands to do things. If you just remove your frontend interface for giving input, the servers still just keep doing what they are set up to do. That's not a defect or something for them to fix.

That's how all of these services work that have an app and then servers that talk to your car.

Analogy time:
It's like if someone uses telephone banking to set up some recurring transactions. It's not your phone that does the transaction, and turning off your phone won't make it stop. You need to call again and give different input to tell them to stop the transactions.

Reactions: davewill