Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled charging not working for me :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone.

I’m aware this topic gets discussed often, but I can’t seem to figure out how to solve my issue:
My model 3 with 1 year of life has been scheduled charging at 2am for the longest time, up until a couple of months ago;
Off peak is off, pre heat is off.
Scheduled charging is on, at 2 am.

Yet, when I get back from work at 4pm, and I plug in the charger in my garage, I keep checking the app in the early evening, and punctually my car is fully charged (limit set to 75%).
It’s maddening, especially considering that here in California, that’s literally peak rate, aka it costs me a lot.

Any help is greatly appreciated 🙏🏽

Reactions: Bob R.
Yet, when I get back from work at 4pm, and I plug in the charger in my garage, I keep checking the app in the early evening, and punctually my car is fully charged (limit set to 75%).
It’s maddening, especially considering that here in California, that’s literally peak rate, aka it costs me a lot.

Try changing the off peak setting.

I recently set up Scheduled Departure and as soon as I plugged in my car would start charging. I don't need the off peak settings here, but I tried changing them just to see what happened. I discovered that after changing the off peak settings Scheduled Departure worked as I expected.

Later I changed the off peak settings back, trying various time settings. Scheduled Departure still worked. I think it's a bug in the firmware.

Reactions: Bob R.
I'm not using schedule departure though, I'm doing schedule charging.
Tried resetting but it still fails and charges shortly after I plug it in, instead of the scheduled 3am.
I’m having the same issue. Scheduled charging for 12:00 am but it starts charging as soon as I plug it in. I even stop it via the app & it’ll start right back up. And it’s killing my electric bill. I’ve looked everywhere for a solution…guess I’ll call Tesla.

Hello everyone.

I’m aware this topic gets discussed often, but I can’t seem to figure out how to solve my issue:
My model 3 with 1 year of life has been scheduled charging at 2am for the longest time, up until a couple of months ago;
Off peak is off, pre heat is off.
Scheduled charging is on, at 2 am.

I'm having the same issue. We have solar panels and I have scheduled charging to be at my lowest rate/kWh (10:00am to 3:00pm) and west the Tesla charges whenever it feels like it, often during the highest rate times (3:00-8:00pm). Kinda maddening and way more expensive. So perhaps it is firmware. My only solution at this point is to unplug the car during peak rate times. Darn it.

I'm actually having the opposite of this problem with my new MY. The charging doesn't start when it should. I initially set for my car to begin charging at 10pm when off peak begins and I woke up the next morning at 7:30 to find that my car still had 3+ hrs of charging to do (was going from like 35% to 85%). The next time I was to charge, I changed to a 6am departure time (when off peak ends). Again, I wake up at 7:30 to find that my car still has 3 more hours of charging left.

The kWh rate suggests that from 10pm-6am there should be no problem getting to 85% battery. I know it's not an issue with the charger because my SO also has MY and is having no issues whatsoever. I just changed my notification settings so I can confirm when the car actually begins charging, because it seems like it's starting later than it should.

...or just schedule it only for a charging start time? You can just set that at 1 AM and then it will be during off peak times, and you won't have to worry about it.
I’ve tried that…scheduled it to start charging at 12 midnight & it starts charging 5 or so minutes after I plug it in walk away. Some days it’s just fine & other days I have to keep turning it off via the app or just unplug it & get out of bed to plug it in after my peak hours end.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
I really think there's a firmware bug. Not a rocket science to choose "Scheduled Charging" and specify the start time as "12:30am". BUT, the system would revert back to "Scheduled Departure" charging. I'm retired and have been doing "Scheduled Charging" the last 4 years with no problem. The system for some reason now ALWAYS revert back to "Scheduled Departure" and worse, it starts charging as soon as you plug it in regardless of time. TESLA...Hellloooo!!!

Hello everyone.

Are any or all of you that are experiencing this problem running a non Tesla charging app of some sort. Had some friends using Optiwatt and it had their passwords. Despite signing out of the app their charge schedule was thrown off by the Opitwatt server (as I understood the mess) over the air. Changed passwords without telling 3rd party app and their scheduled charge problems disappeared.

If you are using any other app that schedules charging, such as Optiwatt, you should make sure that the scheduling function on that app is disabled. It overrides the Tesla scheduldd charging function. I had the same issue, and when I deleted Optiwatt, the problems disappeared. I then reinstalled Optiwatt and made sure the scheduling function on Optiwatt was disabled and the Tesla scheduled charging function has worked fine ever since. I shared this with Tesla service, and they confirmed that third party apps can conflict with Tesla’s function and should be disabled.

Are any or all of you that are experiencing this problem running a non Tesla charging app of some sort. Had some friends using Optiwatt and it had their passwords. Despite signing out of the app their charge schedule was thrown off by the Opitwatt server (as I understood the mess) over the air. Changed passwords without telling 3rd party app and their scheduled charge problems disappeared.
Nope…no 3rd party app. I’m so frustrated. I’ve tried both options for charging my car but with both settings, no matter what…my car just randomly starts charging…I want to cry!