Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled charging not working for me :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm having a similar problem with 2022.8.2 SW release.
Best current solution,
1. Plug-in;
2. Go into the phone app, and command the charge to stop; and
3. Wait and see how it charges in the wee hours, as expected.
I tried stopping it with the app & a minutes later…it starts charging again! I can stop it several times but it will just keep restarting. It’s very frustrating.

I really think there's a firmware bug. Not a rocket science to choose "Scheduled Charging" and specify the start time as "12:30am". BUT, the system would revert back to "Scheduled Departure" charging. I'm retired and have been doing "Scheduled Charging" the last 4 years with no problem. The system for some reason now ALWAYS revert back to "Scheduled Departure" and worse, it starts charging as soon as you plug it in regardless of time. TESLA...Hellloooo!!!
Have the same problem and only work around is to lower charge limit to 50% plug in and set alarm to raise limit and start charging at bedtime.
What do you know about doing a Factory Reset? That is the only remaining option I can think of

My wife's M3 began having charging issues this week. Started with an unresponsive MCU where she couldn't use the climate controls via the screen. She was turning on the AC via the phone app for half a day. A reset (holding down both scroll wheels) fixed that problem but that night her scheduled departure charge never activated so she woke with a low battery and was forced to supercharge to get to work. I changed her charging to "scheduled charge" to start at 9pm. Checked at 9:30pm and it was not charging. Hit "start charge" on the Tesla app and it gave some message about a charge request already being activated but still would not charge. Went to the car and pressed "start charging" on the MCU and still nothing. Unplugged the cable and plugged it back in and it began charging. Something is bricked in the charging software that it's either not waking the car up to charge or not accepting the schedule charge nor departure charge settings. It's worked fine for 2 years. I'm charging on a 14-50 outlet using the Tesla charger. I've tried every suggestion in this thread, we do not use Optiwatt or any 3rd party apps. Put in a service request for Tesla to reset or reload whatever software controls the charging. Hopefully this doesn't require a SC visit. Growing very frustrated. My 2016.5 MS schedules charges just fine, never had an issue like this before.

Well after 2 months of total frustration, searching numerous sites & YouTube videos, and a very high electric bill…I finally took my car in to the dealer to have the scheduled/departure time charging issue looked at & they did some type of reset & now I am able to schedule a charge with no problem!! So if anyone is having this issue & can’t seem to resolve it…you probably need to take it in to have it corrected!

I just bought a used 2021 MYP and I have the same issue as many described here. I have tried both Schedule Departure with Off-Peak turned on and Scheduled Charging. The experience is the same. After I plug it in the system initially does as expected and it does not charge. After 5 min it turns on automatically.
Maddening please share solutions if you find it.

If you are using any other app that schedules charging, such as Optiwatt, you should make sure that the scheduling function on that app is disabled. It overrides the Tesla scheduldd charging function. I had the same issue, and when I deleted Optiwatt, the problems disappeared. I then reinstalled Optiwatt and made sure the scheduling function on Optiwatt was disabled and the Tesla scheduled charging function has worked fine ever since. I shared this with Tesla service, and they confirmed that third party apps can conflict with Tesla’s function and should be disabled.
I agree i removed a third party app thinking it would remove my scheduled times and info and just use my tesla app. But since I didnt sign out or remove my car the info was still stuck in the third party app. Had to sign back in and remove my car and my account to get it to stop.

I agree i removed a third party app thinking it would remove my scheduled times and info and just use my tesla app. But since I didnt sign out or remove my car the info was still stuck in the third party app. Had to sign back in and remove my car and my account to get it to stop.
This is a common misunderstanding people have about these. A decent analogy is like if you use a telephone to call your bank to set up recurring payments to someone. And then people think disconnecting their phone stops it. But the phone was just your interface to tell the bank to make changes. The bank will continue doing its thing even if they don't hear from you. The app on your phone is not what is directly communicating with the car. It's the computer of that charging service company, and they will continue on if they don't hear from you because you deleted the app.

Reactions: Hugh Mannity
I know this is an old thread, but I found it very helpful. I was having this problem and found the issue. I had briefly tried out Optiwatt a couple of years ago with my Model 3. I decided it didn't do anything I needed, disabled it, and forgot it existed. Then I traded in my Model 3 for a Model Y. It appears Optiwatt detected the new car and reenabled itself!

Changing the password to my Tesla account now. Thanks to those who suggested checking for a third party app.

Well after 2 months of total frustration, searching numerous sites & YouTube videos, and a very high electric bill…I finally took my car in to the dealer to have the scheduled/departure time charging issue looked at & they did some type of reset & now I am able to schedule a charge with no problem!! So if anyone is having this issue & can’t seem to resolve it…you probably need to take it in to have it corrected!
So after reading this thread, it seems like the answer is to take it in to the dealer. I've been using scheduled charging for three years, and it just stopped working and charges immediately. Thanks to Zuzama.