Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey, folks,

I set my scheduled start time for charging to 12:00 AM in order to take advantage of off-peak rates. I leave my Model 3 plugged in at all times. I also set a calendar reminder on my phone to remember to stop charging at 8:00 AM (I charge at 120V, so don't always get a full charge overnight). This has worked fine for 18 months+ of Model 3 ownership. But lately - possibly since the latest update - turning off charging in the Tesla app only temporarily stops charging. It then starts charging again automatically after a few seconds.

The correct behavior would be to stop charging when I click "stop charging" in the app. And stay off until 12:00 AM when it should resume charging, based on the scheduled charging start time. But it isn't working that way any more. I'm wondering whether it is related to the new "Scheduled Departure" feature (which I am not using). Anyway, I was kind of annoyed that the car was going to be charging all day during peak house while I'm at work. But I did find a workaround, which I'll share in case anyone else has the problem.

If you go in and adjust the "max charge" slider to below your current charge level, the app switches to "Charge Complete" and then it does *NOT* resume charging automatically. And now that you have done that, you can actually slide the bar back up to your normal daily charge point, and the car will respect the "Scheduled Charging" time again.

I'm going to contact Tesla support about this but was curious whether anyone else has noticed this issue. It probably doesn't affect most users, who charge at a faster rate and likely have a full charge in the morning.

• Helpful
Reactions: Phlier
I can confirm that this is happening. It started when the Scheduled Departure was introduced, however I am not using that feature either. I have a HPWC and I usually plug in when i got home but stop the charging. The car will stop from the app but it will start charging again 60 seconds later. Actually, i cannot stop it from charging from the display panel. It ignores my presses on the Stop Charging button. I was hoping the latest update 2019.40.2.1 would have fixed it but unfortunately it didn't. I've rebooted the car just to see if that made a difference but it didn't. I asked a friend to see if he was able to duplicate what was happening to me but his works properly. The only difference is he has HW3 while i have HW2.5.

• Helpful
Reactions: Phlier
I can confirm that this is happening. ... I asked a friend to see if he was able to duplicate what was happening to me but his works properly. The only difference is he has HW3 while i have HW2.5.
I have the old CPU too (for now). Weird if that's related.

Did you try the workaround? Slide the charge limit bar in the app down to below your current charge level. Stop charging (in the app). Then when it says "Charging Complete" you can slide the bar back up to your preferred limit and the charging will stay off until your scheduled charge start time.

I'm having a different charging issue that could be related.
I have a level 2 charger scheduled to start charging at 10 pm. It will not start charging until I wake up the car with the app and it definitely started after 40.2.1. That means if I go to sleep the car wouldn't charge? I've never had charging issues before!

I have tried using Scheduled Departure twice since upgrading to 2019.40.2.1 and it has failed to charge the car at all either time. I had set it up to be ready to depart at 7:15am. If I disable all that and just let the car start charging as soon as I plug it in when I get home in the evening (what I've done since getting the car 1+ year ago) it works fine.

It's getting cold here in the Northeast US and it would be really nice to have the battery in particular preconditioned when I leave in the morning. Warming up the cabin automatically would be nice too, but I can force that on through the app while getting ready to leave.

I don't have any off-peak discount on my electricity rate so the 6am deadline to have the charging done by then is meaningless to me. But I don't see any way of telling the system to ignore that. My scheduled departure time is after 6am, but that doesn't seem to have mattered in that the car wasn't charged at all.

I'm wondering if there might there be some issue with the car being asleep when it should start charging. Maybe something to do with the EVSE I'm using? It is a Clipper Creek HCS-50 if that has any bearing on the problem. The car is a 2018 Model 3 LR AWD with HW 2.5.

Any thoughts on how to proceed will be greatly appreciated!

• Disagree
Reactions: jdcollins5
I also have similar issues after updating to 40.2.1. I’ve always set the car to start charging at 4am to 80%. The day after the update, I plug in the car when I got home from work and my phone immediately told me charging was completed at 158 miles. I went into the map and my charge limit was moved to 50% to 80%. I moved it back to 80% and that fixed it.

I have tried using Scheduled Departure twice since upgrading to 2019.40.2.1 and it has failed to charge the car at all either time.

So I got home a little while ago and plugged in; I had left it set up for a 7:15am departure. It realized that and actually displayed on the charging screen that it would be ready for a 7:15 departure. "Cool!", I'm thinking - "I don't why, but now it's working!"

But no - my hopes are dashed. Minutes later I happened to check the app and noticed it is happily charging now -- hours before it needs to. I have no idea what it thinks it's doing...

Hey, folks,

I set my scheduled start time for charging to 12:00 AM in order to take advantage of off-peak rates. I leave my Model 3 plugged in at all times. I also set a calendar reminder on my phone to remember to stop charging at 8:00 AM (I charge at 120V, so don't always get a full charge overnight). This has worked fine for 18 months+ of Model 3 ownership. But lately - possibly since the latest update - turning off charging in the Tesla app only temporarily stops charging. It then starts charging again automatically after a few seconds.

The correct behavior would be to stop charging when I click "stop charging" in the app. And stay off until 12:00 AM when it should resume charging, based on the scheduled charging start time. But it isn't working that way any more. I'm wondering whether it is related to the new "Scheduled Departure" feature (which I am not using). Anyway, I was kind of annoyed that the car was going to be charging all day during peak house while I'm at work. But I did find a workaround, which I'll share in case anyone else has the problem.

If you go in and adjust the "max charge" slider to below your current charge level, the app switches to "Charge Complete" and then it does *NOT* resume charging automatically. And now that you have done that, you can actually slide the bar back up to your normal daily charge point, and the car will respect the "Scheduled Charging" time again.

I'm going to contact Tesla support about this but was curious whether anyone else has noticed this issue. It probably doesn't affect most users, who charge at a faster rate and likely have a full charge in the morning.

I am now experiencing this glitch. Did anyone ever find a fix?

I’ve tried scheduled departure twice. First time started charging immediately which was not wanted since it was not off peak so I stopped it. Last week prior to a trip I thought it would be great to have it charged fully and warm for my trip. Plugged in and it seemed to be charging or thinking about it (slow charging) but alas it interrupted at 3 am which was hours before the scheduled departure and well below what it was set to charge to.....needs some work. Won’t use it again for a while.

I also have the same issue on my 2016 Model S. And I think it is since the last software update. I have cheap rates overnight so schedule charging and both last night ans the night before it didn’t charge and when I woke up it just said “charging stopped” on the app. So I’m now having to charge at the expensive rate. I have tried to reset the car (or keep steering wheel buttons down) and the. Did a scheduled charge this morning. And it worked. However, it would have worked before the car had “gone to sleep” so I don’t know if that has fixed the issue. It’s very disconcerting not knowing if the car will charge or not when I have a long journey to do the next day. And now I can’t trust it.

Has anyone been in touch with the service centres about this? I will do so if it happens a third time. (Ie tonight).

Since the OP didn't every specify in his what version his car has - my car has had 5 software updates since the first post, so probably best avoid using phrases like "latest software" :)
it seems to be working in 2020.4.1 which looks like the widest release currently for Model 3, but the next version is already in the wings. . . .

I'm guessing this is a HW 2.5 issue? Does anyone writing with issues in here have 3.0?
I have 3.0 and I've never had a single issue with scheduling the charging.
When you guys plug the car in does the message pop up on the touchscreen that tells you when the car will begin its scheduled charge? Both the car and the App notify you of the scheduled charging time. I override the scheduled charging time on the App if I have to charge right away.
The scheduled departure feature is my favorite though. I don't charge every night but the scheduled departure gets the cabin toasty warm before work in the AM.

I have HW 2.5. SW version 2020.4.1. Scheduled departure is working great for me. I have it scheduled for 5 AM departure, charge to 80%. When I get home around 7 PM, I plug in (32A 240V), display comes up with "Scheduled Departure 5 AM". When I come out in the morning around 5:10, the car is nice and warm, fans are running. I have notifications turned on from the App, and I get a notification around 4:45 that charging has completed.

Keith

I have HW 2.5. SW version 2020.4.1. Scheduled departure is working great for me. I have it scheduled for 5 AM departure, charge to 80%. When I get home around 7 PM, I plug in (32A 240V), display comes up with "Scheduled Departure 5 AM". When I come out in the morning around 5:10, the car is nice and warm, fans are running. I have notifications turned on from the App, and I get a notification around 4:45 that charging has completed.

Keith
So you don't schedule a time to start charging? Just scheduled departure? Does the car work backwards and know what time it has to start charging to get to the 80% that you desire?

Same thing is happening to me. I have the HW3. My Tesla ver is currently running 2020.48.30. Even having the latest version did not fix the scheduled charging issue. I contacted TSC and they told me they cannot do anything and to just wait for the update fix release. Obviously, they are don’t know that if you passed 80% of your scheduled charging. It will bypassed the schedule charging. Why? I don’t know. But this thread her @TMC FIXED MY ISSUE! I encourage everyone to give that a try. If it doesn’t work. Try soft reset on your car, then a hard reset if it still doesn’t fixed the issue after doing that and setting your charge schedule limit to 80%. Make sure it is exactly @80% to test it. I just used the app to set my charge limit. Not on the car directly. I have the 06.2019 M3 version. Hope this helps anyone with the same issues I was having. This fixed saves me MONEY using off peak rates. Good luck! :)

Attachments

• A82A64AB-0B5A-4F82-A836-58292C8D0F68.jpeg
    A82A64AB-0B5A-4F82-A836-58292C8D0F68.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 252
The new update fixed all of my complaints about departure charging. You can change the off peak time to what fits your area. Before I believe it was programed to end off peak at 6am so it ended finishing charging at that time (it always did for me anyway even if I, or example, set departure at 11am or any time past 6am), it will finish charging around 6am). In my area, of peak is from 9pm to 3pm. So I set off peak ends at 3pm. Then I set the departure at 8am. It works flawlessly. It will finish charging by 8am now! very happy.

Same thing is happening to me. I have the HW3. My Tesla ver is currently running 2020.48.30. Even having the latest version did not fix the scheduled charging issue. I contacted TSC and they told me they cannot do anything and to just wait for the update fix release. Obviously, they are don’t know that if you passed 80% of your scheduled charging. It will bypassed the schedule charging. Why? I don’t know. But this thread her @TMC FIXED MY ISSUE! I encourage everyone to give that a try. If it doesn’t work. Try soft reset on your car, then a hard reset if it still doesn’t fixed the issue after doing that and setting your charge schedule limit to 80%. Make sure it is exactly @80% to test it. I just used the app to set my charge limit. Not on the car directly. I have the 06.2019 M3 version. Hope this helps anyone with the same issues I was having. This fixed saves me MONEY using off peak rates. Good luck! :)

Can you run me through this fix again? I am having this exact issue and wanted to try your fix before doing a reset. I can’t find the fix for @TMC on your thread.