Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled charging restricted to 16A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a definitive cure for this? Don't think I've previously been affected by this, but as I haven't really been driving much I haven't needed to charge.

Plugged car in and set scheduled charge to 04:00 (Agile rates are negative from this point on), and the max amps shows as 16A with no way to make it higher. I have previously charged at 32A without problems. Given I don't really want to be awake at 4am, do I just trust that it will ramp up to 32A itself, or do I need to do something manually to sort it out?

Thanks in advance.

Plugged car in and set scheduled charge to 04:00 (Agile rates are negative from this point on), and the max amps shows as 16A with no way to make it higher. I have previously charged at 32A without problems. Given I don't really want to be awake at 4am, do I just trust that it will ramp up to 32A itself, or do I need to do something manually to sort it out?

If you are on Agile then you will not be so tied to charge within a limited 4 hour slot ... so probably not as much of an issue. Monitor how it goes. This is clearly an issue related to the recent software update ... it will be rectified, let's hope it will be sooner rather than later.

Forgive my ignorance, electricity is a mystery to me, but my TWC is on three phase and says I am charging at 12Kw and 16A. Do I have the same issue?

Attachments

• 100F8DA4-A35C-4845-85C8-65E06DC4527A.jpeg
    100F8DA4-A35C-4845-85C8-65E06DC4527A.jpeg
    617.1 KB · Views: 75
Is there a definitive cure for this? Don't think I've previously been affected by this, but as I haven't really been driving much I haven't needed to charge.

Thanks in advance.
I am seeing this as well. Shows up as 16max on scheduled charge but 32amp on scheduled departure or charge straight away. I think the difference is on the other 2 settings it checks the charger straight away and finds it can do 32.on scheduled charge it only does that when the charging starts. Switching to scheduled departure after plugging in then back to scheduled charge ups it to 32 amp and maybe is a workaround. In theory at 4am it should check the max available and magically jump to 32amp. Either way I think its a bug.still trying to figure out the details

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
Useful info, thanks.

I’ve left it as is (max 16A, scheduled charging to start at 04:00) and will report back.

I think one of the following is likely:
  1. It charges at 16A, max stays as 16A
  2. It charges at 16A even though 32A becomes available (max turns into 32A) once charging begins
  3. It charges at 32A as soon as it realises it can
My money is on 2 - on the basis that it’s set to charge at 16A now (the highest it currently can go)

It's a software bug that keeps coming back. It's due to using the scheduled charge which most of us are forced to use as the M3 doesn't wake from sleep by receiving pilot line signal from the charger to charge.

This is the other thread on that issue.
Model 3 scheduled/timed/smart charging

I wrote a nodered flow to check the charging rate at 00.35am every night and if it was <17amps it would stop the charge and start it again which clears the bug and charges at full 32amps. It would happen about 50% of the time across many software updates and is very frustrating!

Tesla know about this issue but have not fixed it for years so the only way to raise this further is to raise a service appointment describing the issue. They will cancel it saying no service visit required as it's software but then it will be logged. Then ask for a resolution date over chat by SMS and post the results on here. Thanks!

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
The answer, surprisingly, was 3. @Jason71 called it :)

View attachment 557493

I actually woke myself up to check, for the greater good :p

Also it was actually set to charge at 04:30, so I woke myself up at 04:00 for nothing :(
I have checked my historic data and actually this has always been the case that the car shows 16amps until charging starts. I think we have just latched on to this when we saw slow charging. What is actually happening for me at least is the "17amp charging bug" described here.
Return of phantom 16 amp charging
and seems to be a bug/change introduced in 2020.20.12

Reactions: MrBadger
Hi All.

HOPEFULLY SOME GOOD NEWS!

Ive been watching this thread with interest and raising hell with Tesla about it in the background over the past 8 months including raising multiple service appointments, encouraging others to do so, raising customer service complaints etc. Finally got to talk to someone in the engineering department and provide them some testing logs a few weeks ago. They said fix would be in 2020.24 which I got today and seems to have fixed it. It's woken from asleep 3 times on the trot from the charger alone (none Tesla) after having never worked once since I bought the car. Unbelievable to think the car has been in production 3 years and they only just got around to fixing this!

Can anyone else confirm the same? Sentry off, scheduling charging off, dont use the Tesla App, leave car at least 30mins - try charging from charger. Try timers too etc.

So if your charger has its own timer then hopefully you dont need to use the scheduled charging built into the car and wont face this issue again.

FYI: The UMC or Tesla wall charger never suffered this issue as they use some proprietary digital comms and not just Pilot line signal from industry standard level 2 charger.

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado