Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled charging restricted to 16A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ran into a similar issue with my Rolec and OctopusGo. I found it was because I had 'smart schedule' enabled to start at 12:30, but then I had it set to 'I need my car charged by 8am'. I change it to 'I need my car charged by 4am' and then last night it went at the full 32amps. Might be worth a shot.

I ran into a similar issue with my Rolec and OctopusGo. I found it was because I had 'smart schedule' enabled to start at 12:30, but then I had it set to 'I need my car charged by 8am'. I change it to 'I need my car charged by 4am' and then last night it went at the full 32amps. Might be worth a shot.

Hi,

Where is the option to state when you need your car charged by please? I am (like a lot of others with the same issue) just using the in-car charging option screen, which seems to just have options for when to start the charge (not when to end it).

Cheers.

Hi,

Where is the option to state when you need your car charged by please? I am (like a lot of others with the same issue) just using the in-car charging option screen, which seems to just have options for when to start the charge (not when to end it).

Cheers.
I think the options he’s talking about are in the Rolec charger app.

The option to “be charged by x time” is I think one of the options Tesla is including in an update. I’d prefer a simple “stop charging at x time” setting.

Reactions: Fingerwasp
OK, thanks Roy! Not the fix then unfortunately. Look forward to hearing what TM Service dept. have to say about it all. Cheers.
You’re very welcome.
I’ve had confirmation of the service appointment but I hope it doesn’t get that far. I’d prefer it if they looked at the car’s logs and figured out what was going on.

It’s a two hour journey each way to Stockport, so I don’t really want to waste a day there unless I have to!

I’ve now booked mine in for service. I’ve explained the problem and said that several other users on the forum are experiencing the same problem, so hopefully I won’t be fobbed off. I’ll keep you posted.
I booked a service appointment this morning. A few minutes ago I got a text saying that they were cancelling the appointment pending a remote investigation, also asking for examples of dates and times when the charging was at 16A. They said they will reinstate a service appointment if the investigation dictates.

I’ve just sent them (by text!) the details of all my charging events in September, to see what they can make of it.

Here’s the list I sent them:

16A Charging - Sept 2019

01 Sep 16A
04 Sep 32A
05 Sep 32A
06 Sep 16A
07 Sep 32A
(On holiday 1 week)
15 Sep 16A
16 Sep 16A
17 Sep 16A
20 Sep 32A
21 Sep 32A
22 Sep 32A
23 Sep 32A
25 Sep 16A (charge restarted at 32A)
26 Sep 16A (charge restarted at 32A)
27 Sep 32A
28 Sep 32A
29 Sep 32A

All events scheduled at 0030.

I have some schedules in TeslaFi to help with "wall charger failure". I used to have an unreliable Rolec at work that would sometimes trip for no good reason.

Working backwards from "last possible time to be able to get a full charge" (i.e so that, armed with Notification, I could go and kick the Rolec)

"Plug in reminder" when SOC below "70%" if at "Work" schedule at "15:00"
"Plug in reminder" when SOC below "50%" if at "Work" schedule at "13:00"
"Plug in reminder" when SOC below "40%" if at "Work" schedule at "12:00"

Reactions: Roy W.
I booked a service appointment this morning. A few minutes ago I got a text saying that they were cancelling the appointment pending a remote investigation, also asking for examples of dates and times when the charging was at 16A. They said they will reinstate a service appointment if the investigation dictates.

I’ve just sent them (by text!) the details of all my charging events in September, to see what they can make of it.

Here’s the list I sent them:

16A Charging - Sept 2019

01 Sep 16A
04 Sep 32A
05 Sep 32A
06 Sep 16A
07 Sep 32A
(On holiday 1 week)
15 Sep 16A
16 Sep 16A
17 Sep 16A
20 Sep 32A
21 Sep 32A
22 Sep 32A
23 Sep 32A
25 Sep 16A (charge restarted at 32A)
26 Sep 16A (charge restarted at 32A)
27 Sep 32A
28 Sep 32A
29 Sep 32A

All events scheduled at 0030.

The whole text thing is annoying for sure - Teslafi was very useful in me being able to prove to the service centre there was clearly an AC charging issues as they tried to say they would investigate remotely but it was obviously a problem.

I just typed my responses on an email to myself then cut and pasted into a text message as it was going to take ages to text the details.

The whole text thing is annoying for sure - Teslafi was very useful in me being able to prove to the service centre there was clearly an AC charging issues as they tried to say they would investigate remotely but it was obviously a problem.

I just typed my responses on an email to myself then cut and pasted into a text message as it was going to take ages to text the details.
It does seem strange that they don’t use email. I’m sure knowing Tesla there must be a very, very good reason :D

I also have this issue on a P3-, and I am in Melbourne, Australia. I had previously been using the mobile connector until last week when I had the wall connector installed, it is set to 230V 32A single phase. If it is started from Scheduled charging, it will only charge at 16A (although shows at 16/32) unless I either go to the car and wind it up from 16A to 32A, or stop and start the charge (although that doesnt always work). I have emailed Service in Australia and will see what they have to say about it.

I don’t know if it will help but I had the same problem when I got my car. Charging was only at 16/32 amp. I had already put the Tesla app on my mobile long before getting the car. I removed the app from my mobile and reinstalled it and this solved the issue immediately - 32/32amp. Worth a try if not done already.

It does seem strange that they don’t use email. I’m sure knowing Tesla there must be a very, very good reason :D

Have you not noticed the huge number of people on here waiting for cars and complaining about no response to emails from Tesla?

Tesla simply don't do email.

It would be better if at the outset Tesla let people know that unless it is very important not to expect an email from Tesla and certainly not to bother trying to communicate by email with Tesla.

It does seem strange for a Silicon Valley company to adopt such a policy.

I wonder whether some rather important final reminders from a shipping company were sent by email to Tesla. If true, any possible financial savings over the years will have been wiped out at a stroke by that little oversight.

Tesla simply don't do email.

It would be better if at the outset Tesla let people know that unless it is very important not to expect an email from Tesla and certainly not to bother trying to communicate by email with Tesla.

It does seem strange for a Silicon Valley company to adopt such a policy.

In Australia they do. I sent an email to [email protected] this morning about the 16A charging issue and they rang me today to say they are looking at it and will get back to me.