Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled charging restricted to 16A

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've just switched to Octopus Go tariff so I get cheap rate from 00:30

When I select scheduled charge, the charge rate limits to 16A and can't be increased. I am therefore unable to get a full charge overnight.

I have no trouble charging at 32A when not scheduling the charge.

I'm using a Tesla Wall Connector, tethered. Model 3 SR+

Anyone else seen this.

I've tried to call Tesla but failed to speak to a human so booked a service using the app instead. Hopefully someone will call....

No issues like that with our Model S. We have a tehered ROLEC and the charging is timed in the car to start at 00:30. I also have a Teslafi scheduled task that stops charging, if it is still charging, at 04:30 when the cheap rate ends.

That's the correct way to report issues. They will evaluate service requests via the app and deal with them accordingly.

You may well be asked to do a computer reset - have you tried that yet?

I also reported a service issue last night because our passive locking is only half working (unlocks the car but doesn't auto-lock). I expect to be contacted via text message first.

I believe there is a chat function via the app but I don't appear to have that.

When I select scheduled charge, the charge rate limits to 16A and can't be increased. I am therefore unable to get a full charge overnight.

SR+ here and not experienced this limitation. Using a Zappi 2. Charge rates do sometimes vary for whatever reason, known best to the car and charger, but not specifically affected by scheduled charging. Have you tried manually increasing the charge rate onscreen (during the timed period)? Obviously choose a more sleep-friendly time to experiment!

Interesting that you can charge at 32A. In Switzerland and all of the EU, from what I understand, the Model 3 has a 16A onboard charger which is still used with the Tesla Wall Connector. You can get 3 phases for a total of 48A. 3 phases is the norm here in Switzerland, but with 1 phase max 16A.

Anyone else seen this.

I've tried to call Tesla but failed to speak to a human so booked a service using the app instead. Hopefully someone will call....
I had a similar thing a couple of weeks ago. Like you I’ve got the TWC, but a LR AWD.

I’d been charging quite happily using the car schedule at 32A for about a month. Then one night I only got half the charge I was expecting. I checked the car and it was stuck at 16A.

The following night I had the same again. That night I got up to go to the loo at about 2am and I checked the app. Only 16A. I stopped the charge, then immediately restarted it, and it ramped straight up to 32A. You might want to try that.

I had this same behaviour for two nights - only charging at 16A, but able to go up to 32A if I restarted the charge. Then on the third night I checked - 32A :rolleyes:

Since then I’ve not had a problem. Something obviously got its knickers in a twist, but so far it seems to have resolved itself!

Interesting that you can charge at 32A. In Switzerland and all of the EU, from what I understand, the Model 3 has a 16A onboard charger which is still used with the Tesla Wall Connector. You can get 3 phases for a total of 48A. 3 phases is the norm here in Switzerland, but with 1 phase max 16A.

Weird. You aren't confusing Amps with kW by any chance?

My understanding is that like my Model S (pre-facelift), single-phase is 7.4kW max (230V 32A) or 11kW for three-phase (3x16Ax230V).

Maybe if 3-phase is everywhere in Switzerland, single-phase is limited to16A and so that's all the car will get. But I would be surprised if on 3-phase you get 48A when charging your car unless the voltage was reduced. What's your charging rate in km/hour on 3-phase? If it's around 75-80km/hour, that's 11kW, which is the theoretical maximum for a UK (and I thought pan-European spec.) Model 3. I also read that Long Range M3s can go to 40A but that might be in the US only.

I had a similar thing a couple of weeks ago. Like you I’ve got the TWC, but a LR AWD.

I’d been charging quite happily using the car schedule at 32A for about a month. Then one night I only got half the charge I was expecting. I checked the car and it was stuck at 16A.

The following night I had the same again. That night I got up to go to the loo at about 2am and I checked the app. Only 16A. I stopped the charge, then immediately restarted it, and it ramped straight up to 32A. You might want to try that.

I had this same behaviour for two nights - only charging at 16A, but able to go up to 32A if I restarted the charge. Then on the third night I checked - 32A :rolleyes:

Since then I’ve not had a problem. Something obviously got its knickers in a twist, but so far it seems to have resolved itself!

When we had the, then, undiagnosed faulty charging plug (the bit that plugs into the car) the voltage could get a bit random, as well as the current. Since that was replaced it has been rock-solid, even in the wet.

Weird. You aren't confusing Amps with kW by any chance?

My understanding is that like my Model S (pre-facelift), single-phase is 7.4kW max (230V 32A) or 11kW for three-phase (3x16Ax230V).

Maybe if 3-phase is everywhere in Switzerland, single-phase is limited to16A and so that's all the car will get. But I would be surprised if on 3-phase you get 48A when charging your car unless the voltage was reduced. What's your charging rate in km/hour on 3-phase? If it's around 75-80km/hour, that's 11kW, which is the theoretical maximum for a UK (and I thought pan-European spec.) Model 3. I also read that Long Range M3s can go to 40A but that might be in the US only.
Not confusing anything. If I plug into a single phase charger I see 16A. If I plug into a 3 phase charger I see 16A with a small icon labeled “3” next to it to indicate 3 phases.

Not confusing anything. If I plug into a single phase charger I see 16A. If I plug into a 3 phase charger I see 16A with a small icon labeled “3” next to it to indicate 3 phases.
OK, that's much clearer to me - the onboard charger is probably the same spec.as in the UK but you can't see 32A because a) it's only possible with 32A single phase which is not available in your country and b) the maximum the charger will accept in 3-phase is 16A (to give you around 75-80km/h charging speed assuming 230V). If you visited here and plugged into my charge point at home I am pretty sure you would see 32A. I'm also certain my car would charge at 16A 3-phase at your place :) My car would also happily charge at 16A single-phase if that was all that was available. Only one specification of onboard charger is needed to accommodate all these variables. I do wish 3-phase was more widespread in homes here!

Last edited:

This has happened to me a few times as well.
Not for a few weeks now. No idea why.

SR+ here and not experienced this limitation. Using a Zappi 2. Charge rates do sometimes vary for whatever reason, known best to the car and charger, but not specifically affected by scheduled charging. Have you tried manually increasing the charge rate onscreen (during the timed period)? Obviously choose a more sleep-friendly time to experiment!

I have not tried this, will give it a go when I get home.

I have just been informed by octopus that the smart meters only work on single phase , so you cannot benefit from their 5p/kWh deal at a decent charge rate for the 4 hr time slot available. Their marketing is somewhat misleading as it does not appear to mention this single phase limitation.

I have just been informed by octopus that the smart meters only work on single phase , so you cannot benefit from their 5p/kWh deal at a decent charge rate for the 4 hr time slot available. Their marketing is somewhat misleading as it does not appear to mention this single phase limitation.
I’m not surprised, given how rare three phase power is in domestic properties in the UK. Do any of the other utility companies offer three phase smart meters on their domestic tariffs?

It’s strange. I’ve really no idea what “cured” it, but it’s been fine for over a week now. I’m keeping everything crossed... :cool:
I have the exact same issue and thought it had gone but came back last night. LR AWD Model 3. I have re-reported it to Tesla and they are getting their charging team to take a look. Will let you all know if I get any answers. I have started to wondered whether it’s a voltage drop or temperature spike in the wiring causing it to drop current but switching to manual charge ramps it back up to 32A (admittedly after the wiring may have cooled in the AM or the voltage has gone back up!), I am on Eco7 tariff too, so have a few things coming on at 12.30am at the moment - dryer and powerwall being the main ones (and the car charge), so it could maybe be a load thing but I’m pretty sure it’s not consistent. Any thoughts welcome but will update with any news from Tesla too. Cheers.

Reactions: Roy W.

Anyone else seen this.

Tried my first scheduled charge last night - P3D, Octopus Go, TWC. At 7PM, with the charger connected I set the current in the car to 32A, but during charging it was only showing 16A. Stopping and starting the charging caused it to go to 32A.

It normally charges at 32A with no problems. It must be a software bug.

I asked on an earlier thread and was advised not to set the charging rate in the car, apparently it adjusts automatically to whatever charger it’s plugged in to. So I’ve not touched it. Is this correct?

Seems to charge overnight just fine during the scheduled Octopus Go off-peak period. My Andersen charger tells me it charges at a rate of 7.63KW which is, I think, correct.