Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled Charging - Start Yes, Stop No

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I miss the feature from my Volt where I told it my electricity rate tiers, and when I wanted to depart daily.
I also could tell it to only charge off peak, or charge partial peak, or when ever needed to reach my depart goal.

I would like to be able at least to set a charging window for the off peak times for Weekdays, and Weekends.

fullsizeoutput_34f.jpeg fullsizeoutput_dbd.jpeg fullsizeoutput_dbc.jpeg

Reactions: CWFLY
Even one better:

I want them to build a database of all the electrical usage plans in the country and let me tell the Tesla that at this charge location I am on Portland General Electric rate schedule 7. Then I can tell it “only charge during off peak”. It would automatically download updated data on exactly which days and times it could charge (times change with the seasons and holidays vary).

What I ask for would have a non trivial data component to keep up to date (so more than just a software thing). I wonder if someone sells a data source of this info?

I am sure all of these types of features are on Tesla’s roadmap, but they just have a lot of competing priorities. The great news is that over time they can add more features like this!

Furthermore, the clear future is to have my car talking to my power company and participating in demand response programs. Have my car stop charging when necessary or start charging when a surplus of power exists that needs to go somewhere. I could tell my car that 80% is my optimal level, but that I am fine with the demand response system playing in the 70-90% range.

P.S. Other cool things could be features where the car slow charges overnight at the optimal rate for efficiency but that factors in your target leaving time in the AM and will speed up charging if needed to hit that (though this assumes that 48a is not the most efficient speed - it might be).

P.P.S. I also really want a feature to tell the car to be fully range charged to 100% at 8am when I plan to leave on a trip. I don’t want to remember to start the charging when I wake up and I may not have enough time to pack those last electrons in there. It seems to take aboit 1:20 to go from 90 to 100%. I don’t like leaving the car at 100% state of charge all night.

I like this concept, however, it is more suited for the Powerwall than your car and is similar (or virtually the same) as to what is being implemented in Australia. As far charging, I think the faster you can charge the better.

Scheduled stop charging would certainly be useful.

It's my #2 most desired Model 3 feature (after a "home" button that clears the screen and shows speed and navigation).

None of the third party solutions seem to work well without being overly cumbersome although it does seem to be possible, given that ohmconnect is able to stop+restart charging when polluting powerplants come online.

Not everyone can charge at 40Amps, some people have only 220v 30 amp outlets available (24amp charging) or even just a 120V outlet (12 amp charging).

Charging only during the super off peak rate period every night could average to enough to keep the car charged.

It's a simple option and there is really no reason not to have it for those people who need it. Even our 2013 Volt has the ability to set the start and end time.
Gotta agree. Regardless of what people's charging situation is...there should be a stop just as much as a start. Aren't we trying to be efficient after all, hence the ev....

Reactions: CWFLY and liuping
Given these 4 solutions:
  1. Set an alarm, wake up, and unplug the car.
  2. Ignore the excess cost and excess carbon footprint.
  3. Each day, calculate charge setting (added miles) necessary to terminate by 6am.
  4. Program supports a "stop" time. Set and forget!
I'll choose #4. I've never been much of an enabler, so I just wait until Tesla recognizes this minor oversight.

Well it's 15 months later...... & the world still waits for Tesla to notice its oversight & ask an intern to type 10 minutes of code that would stick an 'off time' box, next to their 'on time' one

I've just plugged in my new Tesla 3 & I've surfed to this page as I was convinced I must have made a mistake in failing to find Tesla's 'off time' setting.

My off-peak rate increases nearly 300% in the early morning (8.7 to 25.5). It's not just the grim cost, my Tesla was supposed to be gentler on the planet, & it won't be if I charge in peak demand periods when I don't need to.

This seems such a forehead-slappingly obvious thing to include. I remember last week I detoured to get a 00.8% petrol discount. It would be a national joke if some petrol company increased prices 300% every morning, just because it hadn't got round to amending a line in its pumps' computer code?

It would be great if you could set blackout times by locations. When I am home do not charge between certain hours. When I am at work charge during different hours. The whole point is to make it easy, I do not want to figure out what time it is and where I am at every time I get out of the car to program charging times.

While I'd love this feature, I get round it by doing the following:

1) Use app to start the charging.
2) App will display how long until it reaches set charge (eg 8 hours).
3) Work out when 8 hours before your 'off' time is - eg for 6am finish that's 10pm
4) Stop charging, set reminder on phone for 10pm
5) Start the charge at 10pm.

I use "dashboard for tesla" app. There are others I believe as well that will also enable you to set "stop charging"

View attachment 329087

I do too... you can schedule start, stop, HVAC and at least a handful of other things I haven't tried. TBH, I started using DFT because my old phone wasn't capable of running the Tesla app, but I've gotten used to the things it does 'better' than the Tesla app. I now have a new phone and use both from time to time.

The other few significant benefits to DFT....
Estimation of actual charge completion time, so I don't have to add hh:mm to the current time in my head(ya, its easy, but there's other stuff my head could be doing!)
One-button selection of min/std/max charging level, if you change that setting often(I don't).
Exact percentage selection for each of min/std/max charging level, not some pixel-by-pixel line on the battery.
Smart charging, which I haven't used yet, which auto-starts your charge and (later on) HVAC for your car to be ready for your departure at a particular time.

It costs $14.95 plus $3 for each major feature group you want to enable.... no subscriptions! Sadly, no iPhone support...

https://sg57productions.com/dashboardfortesla

N.B. I'm not the author of DFT, and get nothing for this plug.

Reactions: forkee
I do too... you can schedule start, stop, HVAC and at least a handful of other things I haven't tried. TBH, I started using DFT because my old phone wasn't capable of running the Tesla app, but I've gotten used to the things it does 'better' than the Tesla app. I now have a new phone and use both from time to time.

The other few significant benefits to DFT....
Estimation of actual charge completion time, so I don't have to add hh:mm to the current time in my head(ya, its easy, but there's other stuff my head could be doing!)
One-button selection of min/std/max charging level, if you change that setting often(I don't).
Exact percentage selection for each of min/std/max charging level, not some pixel-by-pixel line on the battery.
Smart charging, which I haven't used yet, which auto-starts your charge and (later on) HVAC for your car to be ready for your departure at a particular time.

It costs $14.95 plus $3 for each major feature group you want to enable.... no subscriptions! Sadly, no iPhone support...

https://sg57productions.com/dashboardfortesla

N.B. I'm not the author of DFT, and get nothing for this plug.

also the vent button CLOSES the windows instead of only opening them like the stock tesla app

You can recover those 200 round trip miles in about 7 hours of charging at 32A from a 14-50 outlet. Even less from a HPWC at 40A or more. Is your off peak rate shorter than 7 hours?

Let me answer your question, and correct your assumptions...
  • YES. My (super)-off-peak is only 6 hours, not 7. Midnight to 6am @ 10¢/kWh. After that, it goes to off-peak @ 24¢ and then peak at 55¢.
  • Not all power companies deliver 240V. Some areas (mine) only have 208V supply. Hence 208v with the 50A NEMA becomes 40A, but limited to 32A with the mobile adapter. Hence, I charge at about 24 MPH.
  • I drive 200 miles. But we all know that driving 200 miles takes more then 200 miles of indicated range from the battery.

Even one better:

I want them to build a database of all the electrical usage plans in the country and let me tell the Tesla that at this charge location I am on Portland General Electric rate schedule 7. Then I can tell it “only charge during off peak”. It would automatically download updated data on exactly which days and times it could charge (times change with the seasons and holidays vary).

What I ask for would have a non trivial data component to keep up to date (so more than just a software thing). I wonder if someone sells a data source of this info?

I am sure all of these types of features are on Tesla’s roadmap, but they just have a lot of competing priorities. The great news is that over time they can add more features like this!

Furthermore, the clear future is to have my car talking to my power company and participating in demand response programs. Have my car stop charging when necessary or start charging when a surplus of power exists that needs to go somewhere. I could tell my car that 80% is my optimal level, but that I am fine with the demand response system playing in the 70-90% range.

P.S. Other cool things could be features where the car slow charges overnight at the optimal rate for efficiency but that factors in your target leaving time in the AM and will speed up charging if needed to hit that (though this assumes that 48a is not the most efficient speed - it might be).

P.P.S. I also really want a feature to tell the car to be fully range charged to 100% at 8am when I plan to leave on a trip. I don’t want to remember to start the charging when I wake up and I may not have enough time to pack those last electrons in there. It seems to take aboit 1:20 to go from 90 to 100%. I don’t like leaving the car at 100% state of charge all night.

Hi, I'm the founder of Optiwatt. We plan on rolling out all these features! I'd love to get your feedback on our product mockups before we complete development, would you be willing to email me at [email protected]?

Last edited by a moderator: