TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Scheduled Charging?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by HansT, Dec 21, 2019.

1. HansT

HansT Member

Does anyone know how to schedule charging times on a Model S? The owner's manual states: "Scheduled Charging and Scheduled Departure: There are two ways in which you can schedule your vehicle's charging". However, I am unable to find any way of setting Scheduled Charging - only Scheduled Departure. Scheduled Charging does not seem to exist in software (2019.40.2.1). Any advice most appreciated. Thank you.

IMG_0335.jpeg

2. ucmndd

ucmndd Well-Known Member

Press the “schedule” button, then choose.

EAA5A238-97F4-4266-9993-BB16DC4D4142.jpeg

• Informative x 2
  3. HansT

HansT Member

Thank you for your reply - but that's not what I'm asking... You'll note that pressing the "Schedule" button gives you the ability to set a scheduled "Departure", which is NOT what I want. I want to be able to set a scheduled "Charging Time". The software used to offer this - here's someone else's photo of the option from more than a year ago:

Tesla-Model-S-90D-–-The-All-Electric-Driving-Experience-MenStyleFashion-2017-5.jpg

• Disagree x 1
  4. ucmndd

ucmndd Well-Known Member

As I said, press the “schedule” button and choose. Look at the picture I posted closer.

The menu shows 3 tabs. The first is “off”. The middle is “scheduled charging” and what you’re looking for. Pick the time you want the car to start charging and it will start at that time. The right is “scheduled departure”, the new feature included with recent updates.

• Informative x 2
  5. HansT

HansT Member

Ah! I see now! Sorry for my stoopidity... However, although I do see that setting the charging "Start" time is an option, there doesn't seem to be any way to set an "Off/Stop" time, no? Nor scheduling for all-day charging on weekends. Obviously, I'm trying to work around my electric company's Time of Use schedule - I used to have an actual home charger (a 15-year-old old Blink model, from back when we had a Nissan Leaf) but it blew up last week, so I'm now using the Tesla Corded Mobile Connector plugged directly into my 240V outlet. I appreciate your help (and patience!).

• Like x 1
  6. ucmndd

ucmndd Well-Known Member

No problem.

Yes, you’ve accurately captured the limitations of the current scheduled charging setup. All you get is a “start charging at X time” option, at which point the car charges until it hits the state of charge limit you’ve set.

7. HansT

HansT Member

Honestly, though I admit to being slow, the UI in this case is poor (I find most of the Tesla UI poor)... The main charging screen shouldn't say "Scheduled Departure" over the "Schedule" button - that's misleading. Nor should the next screen be titled "Scheduled Departure". IMO.

• Like x 3
  8. ucmndd

ucmndd Well-Known Member

Agree. It’s poor design.

9. Floydsview

Floydsview New Member

If you have a set start charging time and a set depart time does it adjust charge charge rate to finish at the scheduled depart time?

10. pjw65

pjw65 Member

Depart at 7 and charges stops at 5:35 ?
    This makes no sense for me.
    Will use teslafi for that.

Btw. Power peak rate in my region is 7-19.

11. ucmndd

ucmndd Well-Known Member

No. You can set one or the other.

• Informative x 1
  12. ucmndd

ucmndd Well-Known Member

Yes, it’s stupid. Tesla unilaterally decided “depart at any time after 6” means “finish charging at 6 to avoid higher electric rates” instead of letting owners decide.

• Like x 2
  13. Alysashley79

Alysashley79 Active Member

I found that you can set both to work. However the one feature I hate is that it stops at 6am for what I assume is time of use. I don’t have that in my area. My rate is $.10 24 hours a day. I’d much prefer to charge and be done at my departure time and also for the heat to be on.

it would seem that an extra start stop feature could be added and also a departure time.

does anyone know how much extra electricity it will use to turn on the heat and have it run for 30 minutes?

14. HansT

HansT Member

FWIW, I finally got a response from Tesla Customer Support:

Thank you for contacting Tesla. I have included steps to help resolve your concern.

Scheduled Charging:

When you set a scheduled charging time, Model S displays the set time to begin charging when you are parked at the scheduled location. If, at the scheduled time, Model S is not plugged in at the location, charging starts as soon as you plug it in, provided you plug it in within six hours of the scheduled time.

If plugged in after six hours, charging does not start until the scheduled time on the next day. To override this setting, touch Start Charging or Stop Charging. When you set a scheduled charging time, Model S displays the set time on the instrument panel and touchscreen.

To set up a scheduled departure time, go to Charging > Scheduled Charging > Schedule and follow the onscreen instructions to customize your schedule.