Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good day,

For me, the change to charging in v 2020.48.26 is a backward step, with the removal of the "Start Charging at" option.

We get cheaper power from 2100-0700 (9pm-7am), less than half the day rate per kWh. I do not keep any schedule, so scheduled charging is of limited value, although I could set a departure time of 0700 every day. My preference is for a setting; Start Charging At nnnn - Finish Charging By: nnnn - simple I would have thought, and could suit many users.

S02

Reactions: puckpurnell
You can still set the charge start time:

8F2ADCE3-D658-45A8-A63B-C909AF3638B1.jpeg
F4A6B106-CA34-45D4-B0FB-80B679ED6E04.jpeg

Good info.

Wish the off peak switch meant the car took its cue from the electric supplier. ComEd, in Chicago, uses hourly rates rather than fixed peak and off peak times so, if the car could be told to charge when hourly rates were at or below a certain rate, that would be great; especially if it could use real time API data.

Good info.

Wish the off peak switch meant the car took its cue from the electric supplier. ComEd, in Chicago, uses hourly rates rather than fixed peak and off peak times so, if the car could be told to charge when hourly rates were at or below a certain rate, that would be great; especially if it could use real time API data.

With the new Gen3 HPWC being WiFi enabled, that should be do-able. Might even be possible for a third party to come up with something.

With the new Gen3 HPWC being WiFi enabled, that should be do-able. Might even be possible for a third party to come up with something.

Since the car is WiFi enabled, I don’t see why it couldn’t be handled onboard just like all the other functions. Smart refrigerators are able to do this (although ComEd hasn’t enabled that level of interaction with IoT devices yet).

Since this new SW update Scheduled Departure will not work unless I toggle the Off-peak hours switch. I don't have peak electricity here. But, I guess there's no harm in having it toggled on. This whole Scheduled charging and departure needs to move to the app. Seems ridiculous to sit on the car and set this... And, what if plans change after I park my car? Got to get dressed, go back to the car to make a change to the schedule?

Reactions: HyperionMark
Since this new SW update Scheduled Departure will not work unless I toggle the Off-peak hours switch. I don't have peak electricity here. But, I guess there's no harm in having it toggled on. This whole Scheduled charging and departure needs to move to the app. Seems ridiculous to sit on the car and set this... And, what if plans change after I park my car? Got to get dressed, go back to the car to make a change to the schedule?
Totally agree. They should have it both places just like some other settings. Also should be able to change the amperage from the app. So weird that those things aren't there.

If you deselect off-peak rates, the car will start charging as soon as you connect it. If you select an off-peak end time, charging be scheduled to complete by your scheduled departure or end of off-peak rates, whichever is earlier. I don't have any TOU rate variation either, but use the latter configuration to retain the most benefit from battery warming during charging.

Agree the app capability needs to be improved. Particularly in these unusual times, departure scheduled may vary daily and it's a nuisance to be forced to be inside the car to make modifications.

I suppose with off-peak deselected it will immediately charge, but then also preconditioning battery and car climate in time for Scheduled Departure. I haven't tried that. I assumed that when it charges immediately that is ignoring my Scheduled Departure time. I'll try that out.

I know for certain that the Chargepoint Home Flex does have this capability with certain electrical providers. You can tell it what provider and rate plan you're on, and it will automatically set the schedule. However, I think it's pretty basic and in my case it didn't get the window right (it did avoid the peak hours, but also set itself to not charge during low rates). In any case, it's easy to control the schedule manually. The schedule below avoids charging between 4pm and 9pm, for example, and you can see the option to reset to the default settings for my rate plan (which I also configured in the app).

signal-2021-01-01-205415.png

I suppose with off-peak deselected it will immediately charge, but then also preconditioning battery and car climate in time for Scheduled Departure. I haven't tried that. I assumed that when it charges immediately that is ignoring my Scheduled Departure time. I'll try that out.

No, it doesn't ignore your Scheduled Departure time - it still preconditions the battery and cabin prior to that time. It's just that the battery charging takes place way earlier and any heat that generated is probably lost by the time you leave. That's why I enter a fake off-peak end time after my departure so that it charges as late as possible. Unfortunately that only works when you don't have TOU rates. It's complicated and confusing; Tesla still has a long way to go in helping its customers to optimize their energy costs without a lot of ongoing effort.

Reactions: COS Blue
You need to disable scheduled departure first, if you have that enabled already.

View attachment 621545 View attachment 621546 View attachment 621547 View attachment 621548

Despite my best endeavours, I can't get to the screen you photographed showing 'scheduled charge start'. I've tried a couple of resets, but the only option I have is to set a departure time. The car then obviously works the time to start backwards from then. A bit frustrating having bought the Stats app for the only purpose to turn the charge off at a specific time having been able to set the 'on' time in the car... something I can't seem to do.

I confirmed tonight that I cannot set scheduled departure with Off-peak times deselected. Strange.