Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I confirmed tonight that I cannot set scheduled departure with Off-peak times deselected. Strange.
Yes, it is odd because the scheduling window appears to let you set a departure time but then it doesn't appear on the main display like it does if you have off-peak rates activated. However as I posted earlier, you can get around it by setting the end of off-peak rates later than your departure time so that charging ends at your departure time.

I now have an unusual configuration - I set a scheduled departure then changed the selection to use a scheduled charging start time. The car starts charging at the scheduled time, but then the HVAC also comes on prior to the scheduled departure time even though that mode is not currently active. Anyone else seen this happen?

I now have an unusual configuration - I set a scheduled departure then changed the selection to use a scheduled charging start time. The car starts charging at the scheduled time, but then the HVAC also comes on prior to the scheduled departure time even though that mode is not currently active. Anyone else seen this happen?

I solved my problem - there's a Schedule button on the Climate Control screen that I never noticed before. If this was introduced with a software update, I didn't see it mentioned in any release notes. It looks like you can now schedule charging to start at a fixed time and also schedule pre-heating separately from the Climate Control screen. What's interesting about this is that the Climate Control configuration is linked to driver profile. So, you can pre-select a driver profile when parking the car and the corresponding heating/cooling schedule will then be activated. This way, you could have a dummy profile that would be used for afternoon departures, weekends, etc. Your personal profile and its last HVAC settings will be activated when you enter the car and you can adjust the heating/cooling manually from that point.

With the new Gen3 HPWC being WiFi enabled, that should be do-able. Might even be possible for a third party to come up with something.

Do you know how many electrical companies there are in the US? How is the car going to interface the with the different antiquated systems to get the proper information? It's not like the power companies provide an API that Tesla can just tap in to. I know you said wall connectors but wall connectors are just that, wall connectors. Even third party wall connectors most of them have really basic onboard "computers". They just provide power and provide scheduling.

What's easier, have the owner schedule their own start charging time or built this complicated software system to have the car talk to the power company to find out the off-peak start time...

Good info.

Wish the off peak switch meant the car took its cue from the electric supplier. ComEd, in Chicago, uses hourly rates rather than fixed peak and off peak times so, if the car could be told to charge when hourly rates were at or below a certain rate, that would be great; especially if it could use real time API data.

With the new Gen3 HPWC being WiFi enabled, that should be do-able. Might even be possible for a third party to come up with something.

Do you know how many electrical companies there are in the US? How is the car going to interface the with the different antiquated systems to get the proper information? It's not like the power companies provide an API that Tesla can just tap in to. I know you said wall connectors but wall connectors are just that, wall connectors. Even third party wall connectors most of them have really basic onboard "computers". They just provide power and provide scheduling.

What's easier, have the owner schedule their own start charging time or built this complicated software system to have the car talk to the power company to find out the off-peak start time...

I wasn't very clear in that post, apparently. I'm not talking about having the wall connector connect to the power company's database. I'm talking about the user having the ability to tell the wall connector at what times it is to charge the vehicle, according to when the rate reductions are in effect. The user would have to get that information from the power company, and then tell the power connector at what times to charge the vehicle.

It wouldn't be too hard to program a user interface that would allow a user to access the wall power connector via a web page to input what date, times, and even the rate that is in effect during those times. The wall connector could then report at what times it charged the car, how much energy it used, and what rate should have been in effect during those times, according to the information entered by the user.

So just to reiterate... this would be something that the end user sets up, not the power company.

Good day,

For me, the change to charging in v 2020.48.26 is a backward step, with the removal of the "Start Charging at" option.

We get cheaper power from 2100-0700 (9pm-7am), less than half the day rate per kWh. I do not keep any schedule, so scheduled charging is of limited value, although I could set a departure time of 0700 every day. My preference is for a setting; Start Charging At nnnn - Finish Charging By: nnnn - simple I would have thought, and could suit many users.

S02
Aboslutely right. I am also very disappointed about this backward step. I cannot believe this is intentional. If it is intentional, I would like to understand the thinking.

Good day,

For me, the change to charging in v 2020.48.26 is a backward step, with the removal of the "Start Charging at" option.

We get cheaper power from 2100-0700 (9pm-7am), less than half the day rate per kWh. I do not keep any schedule, so scheduled charging is of limited value, although I could set a departure time of 0700 every day. My preference is for a setting; Start Charging At nnnn - Finish Charging By: nnnn - simple I would have thought, and could suit many users.

S02
I agree! This is a backward step. Does anybody understand this thinking? Is there a workaround? It is very disappointing from a company that is dedicated to energy efficiency and climate improvement.

I'm a bit confused that off-peak charging and scheduled start time do not work hand in hand. It seems you can't tell it when off-peak hours begin, you can only tell it when it ends.

Wouldn't we want our car to know when off-peak begins and ends, and therefore it could charge at and point in that window of time?

Pre-conditioning the car for departure seems unrelated to when charging should occur. Only to the degree that if departure was to be during peak, the car might want to pre-condition just before then.

Reactions: COS Blue
I had been setting my MS to start charging at 12 AM every night. Yesterday, I needed to change it back to charge immediately in order to have sufficient charge for a some errands today. So today, after finishing the errands, I wanted to set it back to the "start charging at XX:00" mode, but I was unable to find any way to activate this mode. The only option is the "Scheduled Departure" mode. I'm guessing that the latest update (2020.48.37.2) might have removed the "Scheduled Charging" mode? Or am I doing something wrong?