Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've read a couple threads with similar question I have but I'm still baffled. car info: 2014 Model S. My electric bill soared in the last month and I never guessed it was because of the time when my Tesla was charging until I went into the garage and found it was charging during peak electric rate time. I went to see what happened with my scheduled charging that has always been set to 12:15 AM and found yet another change to the menu and, honestly, I don't know exactly what it had defaulted to because I immediately tried to change it back to schedule at 12:15 AM and couldn't. I tried to figure out what the hell this "Schedule Departure" even means and I am still not sure - so I set the scheduled departure to 6AM when my rates go up hoping it starts charging no earlier than 12 AM. The "Schedule Charging" option is grayed out and I can't select it. This is frustrating and this change, unknown to me, cost me $$$ on my electric bill. I did have a the chip (whatever it is called) replaced. I'm not a techy nerd (any more); I just want my Tesla to be a car, not an exercise in relentless learning. I surely do not want to be spending more on electricity because Tesla has decided for me when my rates are lowest.

Reactions: impastu
Yup, I actually worked that one out too. But this still doesn't solve the problem of grayed out menu that no amount of touching, sliding, screaming, or any other method enables it. Wow. Why is Tesla creating these problems and confusions?? Unbelievable. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. For 7 or 8 years scheduled charging was the only option and worked perfectly. Now this? I don't get it. I'm ready to park the Tesla and get my ICE car out of storage; gas is cheaper than peak hour electricity.

Try this thread. Sounds more like what you’re dealing with.

Let’s try to narrow things down a bit. Go to the app store and ensure you have the latest version of the app and reboot the car was well.

What you want it called Scheduled Charging and not Scheduled Depature. Scheduled charging does not start until the appointed hour arrives. There have been reported issues with the app so start by going into the Tesla app, look under “Schedule” and open both “Departure” and “Charge” in turn and ensure everything is off! Now go to the car and set scheduled charing and do not modify it in the app. The video in response #2 explains how to do this - it is towards the end of the video.

• Helpful
Reactions: K5TRX and impastu
Thank you!! That was the exact problem and solution. How convoluted can Tesla make these menus? Anyway, it worked.

Try this thread. Sounds more like what you’re dealing with.

Reactions: Amped412
I will update my phone app, even though I never use the app. Might need to some day, though. I had been trying to select "Scheduled Departure" already, of course. It's terrifically convoluted to do this but success with thread linked by @Amped412

Let’s try to narrow things down a bit. Go to the app store and ensure you have the latest version of the app and reboot the car was well.

What you want it called Scheduled Charging and not Scheduled Depature. Scheduled charging does not start until the appointed hour arrives. There have been reported issues with the app so start by going into the Tesla app, look under “Schedule” and open both “Departure” and “Charge” in turn and ensure everything is off! Now go to the car and set scheduled charing and do not modify it in the app. The video in response #2 explains how to do this - it is towards the end of the video.

My utility plan energizes the wall charger only from 11P-7A. Charger is dark -has no power whatsoever during all other times. I was using Scheduled charging set to start at 11:15P. It worked until last car SW update. Wall charger firmware is is 22.7.0.

When I plug the cable into the car at night before 11P the charger is dead. There is no light up whatsoever on the car charger port when the dead cable is plugged into it. The car does record a notification complaining that the charging station is not ready after the dead cable is plugged in. Car does not start charging at 11:15. No charging occurs.

Anyone else hsve this issue?

My utility plan energizes the wall charger only from 11P-7A. Charger is dark -has no power whatsoever during all other times. I was using Scheduled charging set to start at 11:15P. It worked until last car SW update. Wall charger firmware is is 22.7.0.

When I plug the cable into the car at night before 11P the charger is dead. There is no light up whatsoever on the car charger port when the dead cable is plugged into it. The car does record a notification complaining that the charging station is not ready after the dead cable is plugged in. Car does not start charging at 11:15. No charging occurs.

Anyone else hsve this issue?
I wonder if it’s because the car doesn’t know it’s plugged into the charge cable before it goes to sleep due to the charger cable not being powered and it can’t send a signal to the car. When I have scheduled charging on and I plug the car in, it will pull power briefly to check the amps/volts from the charge cable.

I wonder if it’s because the car doesn’t know it’s plugged into the charge cable before it goes to sleep due to the charger cable not being powered and it can’t send a signal to the car. When I have scheduled charging on and I plug the car in, it will pull power briefly to check the amps/volts from the charge cable.
I believe that’s the root cause. Car sniffs the charger port for juice when the cable is first plugged in, sees no power and fails to charge when cable is energized after 11P. When the cable is energized (after 11P) unplugged and then plugged in the car charges. Am going to try off the peak setting.

Attachments

• 798F2E02-2248-46D1-BC4F-02E79ABAF0A8.jpeg
    798F2E02-2248-46D1-BC4F-02E79ABAF0A8.jpeg
    101.2 KB · Views: 68