Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm trying to use the scheduled departure through the app and it doesn't work. It appears simple, I set the time, 6:30 AM and click OK. The charge level is high enough it should start charging immediately. It doesn't start charging and if I go back into scheduled departure the set time has changed to 8:00 AM.

If I change the charge level so it will start shortly and enter the time for scheduled departure. I leave and wait a while. If I reenter scheduled departure, the time has reset again to 8:00 AM.

What am I doing wrong?
This is what I do so the car is ready at 430 am and off peak hours. I keep it at this time so i don't have change anything daily. I did notice that when I checked the app prior to 430 am departure it was still charging, so it waits to the selected departure time and non peak hours.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220610-061253_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20220610-061253_Tesla.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 91
This is what I do so the car is ready at 430 am and off peak hours. I keep it at this time so i don't have change anything daily. I did notice that when I checked the app prior to 430 am departure it was still charging, so it waits to the selected departure time and non peak hours.
Your photo shows you told the car to finish charging at 6:30 am. What that “off-peak charge” really means is that you want to car to finish charging at 6:30 am. It is best to set both precondition and off-peak charge to the same time, basically when you want to leave the house. In the summer you can leave precondition off.

Your photo shows you told the car to finish charging at 6:30 am. What that “off-peak charge” really means is that you want to car to finish charging at 6:30 am. It is best to set both precondition and off-peak charge to the same time, basically when you want to leave the house. In the summer you can leave precondition off.

So I want to leave at 6:30 am tomorrow. I don't have any use for preconditioning. That will simply use extra energy and lengthen the charging time. I also have no utility rates that I care about.

So I have to set one or the other, precondition or Off-Peak Charge time, right? Can I just set Off-Peak Charge time to 6:30 AM, and it will start charging when I need it to start charging to be at the set charging level by 6:30 AM?

As a test, I left the precondition time to 6:30 AM, but turned off Precondition. I set the Off-Peak Charge time to 5:30 AM and enabled that. When I checked the charging state, it said it turned off the charging, and "Car will charge during off-peak hours to depart by 6:30 AM". WTF? I'm wondering if this will schedule it to cut off at 5:30 AM. Technically, that's ready by 6:30AM. I'm leaving it like this, to see when it starts charging.

So I want to leave at 6:30 am tomorrow. I don't have any use for preconditioning. That will simply use extra energy and lengthen the charging time. I also have no utility rates that I care about.

So I have to set one or the other, precondition or Off-Peak Charge time, right? Can I just set Off-Peak Charge time to 6:30 AM, and it will start charging when I need it to start charging to be at the set charging level by 6:30 AM?
Since you do not need preconditioning or care about utility rates just turn everything off. Plug in the car whenever you want and let it charge then and there. No need to add any complexity.

As a test, I left the precondition time to 6:30 AM, but turned off Precondition. I set the Off-Peak Charge time to 5:30 AM and enabled that. When I checked the charging state, it said it turned off the charging, and "Car will charge during off-peak hours to depart by 6:30 AM". WTF? I'm wondering if this will schedule it to cut off at 5:30 AM. Technically, that's ready by 6:30AM. I'm leaving it like this, to see when it starts charging.

It was a fail. It did not start charging when it needed to. I had to start it manually, and now I won't have quite the charge I wanted.

Since you do not need preconditioning or care about utility rates just turn everything off. Plug in the car whenever you want and let it charge then and there. No need to add any complexity.

I suppose no one has told you about the additional wear you put on the battery by charging to high states of charge and leaving it sit like that? The battery is the most expensive part of the car, second only to the software. I like to baby it, even if you don't care about yours.

On my Model 3 I've had success by setting the Scheduled Departure, Off Peak and Precondition times to the time I want to depart. I've not had one problem since using this strategy. I don't have any off peak rates to consider either.

I suppose no one has told you about the additional wear you put on the battery by charging to high states of charge and leaving it sit like that? The battery is the most expensive part of the car, second only to the software. I like to baby it, even if you don't care about yours.
I do not see how this has any relevance to you preconditioning question, one way or the other you charge the car. But,

Charging speed is a complex issue, but assuming a battery capacity of say 65 kWh and a max rate at home of 11.5 kW, the “C-rate” is just 0.18, which is a non-event.

As to being at a high state of charge, unless you are taking it to 100% there is again no issue. In fact Tesla’s official recommendation is to leave the car plugged in all of the time.

Feel free to do as you wish, but don‘t imply that I or anyone else does not care about their car.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Rocky_H and avs007
I do not see how this has any relevance to you preconditioning question, one way or the other you charge the car. But,

Charging speed is a complex issue, but assuming a battery capacity of say 65 kWh and a max rate at home of 11.5 kW, the “C-rate” is just 0.18, which is a non-event.

Not sure why you are talking about the charging rate.

As to being at a high state of charge, unless you are taking it to 100% there is again no issue. In fact Tesla’s official recommendation is to leave the car plugged in all of the time.

Feel free to do as you wish, but don‘t imply that I or anyone else does not care about their car.

Tesla's recommendation is not relevant to the issue at hand. I think you missed a few posts perhaps? You imply the car should be left sitting at high states of charge. I was trying to charge to 100%, immediately prior to departing. Why is this such a difficult task to discuss?

@gnuarm, my posts #34 is in response to your post, shown below

I will repeat. I don't know why you are talking about charging RATES. I wish to charge my car up to high states of charge only when I want to take a longer trip. One I'm doing frequently now is pretty much the full range of my car. I charge up to 90 or 95% before leaving and make a charging stop on the return trip. Why bother with 95% if I'm going to charge on the way back? Because there are only two charging choices, and one is a gas station. I need the high state of charge to have confidence I will make it to the second charger.

Charging to a high state of charge adds extra wear to the battery. Leaving it sit with the high state of charge adds more wear to the battery. There's no need for the latter if the charging controls worked properly.

@gnuarm

Agree Tesla makes things too difficult and makes it worse with bad terminology! Since you are interested in the departure function note the following:

1. Ignore the schedule charge function, in fact turn "Enable Scheduled Charging" the slider off.
  2. On the Schedule Departure page, you have two options that are totally independent:
    1. If you turn on the "Precondition" option, then the departure time above has meaning, otherwise it does not. If, for example, you want your car battery and temperature to be ready for a 6 am departure, set the time in the departure window to 6 am and your car will be ready for you at 6 am. You can enable this function for all week or just on weekdays.
    2. If you enable "Off-peak charge" you will see new options below. This is terribly named!!! If you turn this on and set a time in the "Off-Peak End Time" window below, the car will will then automatically start charging at a time so the car reaches the desired SOC at the time you have set (actually about 15-minutes prior.). You can enable this function for all week or just on weekdays.
How this helps!

tl;dr..... if I want 100% charge at 9am tomorrow, what settings in the app should I be using?

(Sorry for the hijack, I've got a specific use case to ask about.)

I'm so happy I found this thread..... I've got my first road trip set for tomorrow and have been struggling with the app to try to figure out how to get the car to charge as I want. My battery is topped at 75-85% daily. I have never gone above 90%. Tomorrow, at 9am, I want the battery preconditioned and ready to roll with a 100% SoC.

Based on the quote above, it seems that I need to:
1 - On the Charge Screen: Enable Scheduled Charging set to OFF
2 - On the Departure Screen: Precondition set to ON, Departure set to 9:00 am
3 - On the Departure Screen: Off-Peak Charging set to OFF

.... to ensure at 9am departure time, with a preconditioned battery at 100% SoC. Right?

Here's what I've currently got set, probably wrong...

DEPARTURE SCREEN
- Departure 09:00am
- Precondition ON

CHARGE SCREEN
- Enable Scheduled Charging ON
- Start Charging at 06:45am
- Off-Peak Charging OFF (we have no peak/off-peak in my part of Indiana)

The app is reporting: "Car will charge at 06:45am and precondition by 09:00am"

Car SoC is 85% right now, and is set to charge to 100%. The "Start Charging At" time is my own estimate, as I'm adding 15% SoC to a 78kWh battery (11.7kWh needed), and since I'm charging via a 220v 48A (10.6 kW/h) charger. 1.1h needed normally, I've doubled that since the battery is already at near capacity, getting 2.2h, or approx 2h 15m. Yeah, I know, I probably did unnecessary math here. Before I found this thread, I presumed I needed to tell the car when to start charging to get done by 9am AND to ensure things are preconditioned and ready-to-go at that time. Guess I'm overthinking this?

Last edited:
Disregard. I found this page:

Which clarified things:
1 - On the Charge Screen: Enable Scheduled Charging set to OFF
2 - On the Departure Screen: Precondition set to ON, Departure set to 9:00 am
3 - On the Departure Screen: Off-Peak Charging set to ON, Off-Peak End Time set to 9:00.am.

The Off-Peak setting overrides the Precondition setting, but since they're both set to the same time it won't matter.

Sorry for the hijack - would edit/delete ^ that post if I could.