Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

scheduled charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I'm trying to schedule my new model S so that it will charge anytime I plug it in except for a blackout window between 4-9PM. I set Enable Scheduled Charging for 9:00PM but it still starts charging as soon as I plug it in. I'm guessing I need to use Off-Peak Charge instead? How can I set it up to not charge during the 4-9PM windows when our rates are high?

But if I plug it in at say 8AM it starts charging even though I have it set to charge at 9PM. Do I need to stop charging manually when I plug it then wait for it to start at 9PM?
There is a time limit of which I am not sure. I *think* if you plug in more than 6-hours in advance it will start charging immediately. The other option is Schedule Departure.

Here you enable “Off-peak charge” then set of “Off-peak end time” below the enable button. Now then, forget the words “off-peak end time” because the wording is horribly wrong. What this means is the time you want the car to finish charging and be ready to go.

So then, let’s say you set this to 5 am, here is what will happen. When you plug in the car it will immediately start to charge for a short period of time to determine the charge rate, then it will stop. It will then restart charging based on the calculated charging rate, the current SOC, the desired SOC, and the time you want to be ready. The car is typically ready 15-30 minutes before the time you have set.

Upvote 0
When you have scheduled charging set for 9 pm, and do not have scheduled departure set, the car may look like it starts charging if you plug it in at 8 pm. It really is just supplying low power briefly, and will then shut off and wait until the scheduled time. If you look at the power draw, during this brief time, it is low. If you plug in up to 6 hours after scheduled charging time it will start charging. Otherwise, it will wait until the next scheduled charging time occurs. This is the normal way for my 2020 S.

• Informative
Reactions: sfRonH and Rocky_H
Upvote 0
I had the same issue and just use 'depart by'. It'll start charging based on the amount it needs to charge. It's usually done 20-30 min before I need it done.
Thanks for all the great input. I'm going to start by leaving the scheduled charge at 9PM (and leave Scheduled Departure unchecked) then plug in the charger and manually stop the charge then see what happens overnight. I'll post my result. Thanks again!

Reactions: Ken_Y
Upvote 0
Thanks for all the great input. I'm going to start by leaving the scheduled charge at 9PM (and leave Scheduled Departure unchecked) then plug in the charger and manually stop the charge then see what happens overnight. I'll post my result. Thanks again!
Update - plugging in then manually stopping the charge works just great. At that point I get a message that the scheduled charge will start at 9PM and that in fact occurs. Thanks to all for your useful input!

Upvote 0
Whenever you plug the car in, it should and does go through some handshaking and continuity checks to make sure it will correctly charge the car at the scheduled times. Like I have said twice, it is not charging the car. I feel it is just making sure it is ready to charge at the scheduled time. When I get home for the evening and plug in, it looks like it is charging for seconds, not minutes. It then shuts down and awaits the scheduled time. I think this is in the design and needed to make sure the plugged in connector is working and ready to start charging later.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
I'm having repeated problems. I want the charging to start at midnight. I set it to Scheduled Charge at midnight and plug it in. I look at the display and it says this OK. Then the next morning the car hasn't charged, and it says "scheduled departure set for 3pm". I had picked 3pm, because this is the end of my off-peak rates. I think I'll change it to 4am, so if the setting for Scheduled Charge once again doesn't work, at least the car will charge before I wake up.

I don't understand why it reverts to Scheduled Departures when I didn't have that set. And, it seems like the car and phone may be messing with each other. Whatever I set on the car is ignored. So I use my phone. Today I tried to set Scheduled Charge on my car, and the button to enable it was grayed out. ?help?!

Upvote 0
First make sure you are not running any apps that talk to your Tesla, except the Tesla app, these are often the problem when you see times changing. Now then:

1. Schedule charge tells the car what time you want to START charging. If you plug in your car within about 6-hours of this time the car will not start charging until the time you have set. So you definitely do not want to set this at the end of off-peak since you will start charging during peak!
  2. Schedule Departure is something else. On the Schedule Departure page you have two options that are totally independent:
    1. If you turn on the "Precondition" option, then the departure time above has meaning, otherwise it does not. If, for example, you want your car battery and cabin temperatures to be ready for a 6 am departure, set the time in the departure window to 6 am and your car will be ready for you at 6 am. You can enable this function for all week or just on weekdays.
    2. If you enable "Off-peak charge" you will see new options below. This is terribly named!!! If you turn this on and set a time in the "Off-Peak End Time" window below, the car will will then automatically start charging at a time so the car reaches the desired SOC at the time you have set (actually about 15-minutes prior.). You can enable this function for all week or just on weekdays. Note that when you plug in the car it will charge for a breif period to determine the available charge rate.
You can pick Schedule Charge or Schedule Departure, but not both.

Most people who have TOU plans use scheduled departure.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
I don't understand why it reverts to Scheduled Departures when I didn't have that set.
It sounds like you did have it set:
it says "scheduled departure set for 3pm". I had picked 3pm, because this is the end of my off-peak rates.
As @ATPMSD is saying, you can't have both scheduled start and scheduled end both active. And from the behavior you are seeing, you have the scheduled end turned on instead of scheduled start. Granted, the appearance of the user interface for this in the car's charging screen is apparently really bad and confusing. So go into there and try to toggle that switch until you can get it to be on start, not end.

Upvote 0
I have the same problem which started about 10-15 days ago once I was upgraded to 2022.16.3 and had to do a reboot since I lost WiFi with the update. Now my MY charges whenever plugged in. It is now missing a setting to set when my low rate power ends at 6am. I can still set when I wish to complete pre-conditioning at 7:15am, but it seems to have now effect as well. The car seems to be constantly pre-conditioning. I then tried to set it start charging at 3am. It would set and save but plugging in the charger would immediately begin charging. I waited and confirmed charging times are being ignored. I then tried another reset and then the charge time reverted to 12am, but it would still charge immediately (confirmed not initial charge test). I then issued another reset and now all power settings are greyed out. This was over a 1-2 week period that this progressively got worse.

I’ve got a scheduled repair coming up… but it won’t happen for 2 weeks.

I do not have any apps installed other that the Tesla app. Also the app has no longer has any power settings other than turn charging on or off. I’ve reboot my phone and reinstalled the app without any change in behavior.

Upvote 0
I have the same problem which started about 10-15 days ago once I was upgraded to 2022.16.3 and had to do a reboot since I lost WiFi with the update. Now my MY charges whenever plugged in. It is now missing a setting to set when my low rate power ends at 6am. I can still set when I wish to complete pre-conditioning at 7:15am, but it seems to have now effect as well. The car seems to be constantly pre-conditioning. I then tried to set it start charging at 3am. It would set and save but plugging in the charger would immediately begin charging. I waited and confirmed charging times are being ignored. I then tried another reset and then the charge time reverted to 12am, but it would still charge immediately (confirmed not initial charge test). I then issued another reset and now all power settings are greyed out. This was over a 1-2 week period that this progressively got worse.

I’ve got a scheduled repair coming up… but it won’t happen for 2 weeks.

I do not have any apps installed other that the Tesla app. Also the app no longer has any power settings other than to turn charging on or off. I’ve reboot my phone and reinstalled the app without any change in behavior.
Also the app is still recording the time the car is charging. It reports my on peak charge is now about 40%, off peak about 55%, and super off peak at 5%. Where as previously it was 99% super off peak and 1% off peak. The app is estimating that my usual $30-$35 per month usage is now going to be $170 for the last 30 days and that is only over the last 2 weeks of use.

Upvote 0
Also the app is still recording the time the car is charging. It reports my on peak charge is now about 40%, off peak about 55%, and super off peak at 5%. Where as previously it was 99% super off peak and 1% off peak. The app is estimating that my usual $30-$35 per month usage is now going to be $170 for the last 30 days and that is only over the last 2 weeks of use.
Try going to the charge stats page and reselecting your home plan.

Upvote 0