Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All, New to the Tesla family but the Model 3 after about 5 weeks is much more than I expected. Clearly the best vehicle I have owned over the last 30 years. I am impressed with many things but like you all, there are a few things that mystify. Charging at home with a Tesla wall charger at 32A. I set the iPhone app and the car to charge at a scheduled time (1AM). Does it keep that setting? Absolutely not. At first, I thought it was operator error. It's not. Am I the only one who appreciates the constant software updates hoping each time they will fix something like this, or should I just appreciate them adding radio station icons to the screen instead? Seriously.

Hi All, New to the Tesla family but the Model 3 after about 5 weeks is much more than I expected. Clearly the best vehicle I have owned over the last 30 years. I am impressed with many things but like you all, there are a few things that mystify. Charging at home with a Tesla wall charger at 32A. I set the iPhone app and the car to charge at a scheduled time (1AM). Does it keep that setting? Absolutely not. At first, I thought it was operator error. It's not. Am I the only one who appreciates the constant software updates hoping each time they will fix something like this, or should I just appreciate them adding radio station icons to the screen instead? Seriously.

I have my model 3 set to charge at 3am every morning, and my wifes model Y to charge at 4am every morning. It works fine, every single day. I believe I set it in the car, not the app the first time, but I have changed the start time using the app and it has worked fine.

You are not the only person who has had an issue with scheduled charging, but it usually seems to come down to some combination of things like they tried to set scheduled departure (and you cant have both) or scheduled departure settings never got removed, or they have a wall charger with scheduled configuration and it conflicts, or something like that.

Basically, operator error of some point.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
It's such a great vehicle. Sadly though, the software updates tend to make it worse. In my two years of ownership that's definitely been true, and I've read from others going back as early as software v6 or 7 that stated the same thing.

They add bells and whistles here and there, but none of them really amount to anything... and in between they continually introduce bugs and poor UI changes.

The core needs of the driver (climate controls, navigation, music, wipers, etc) each have issues and instead of polishing them in iteration, they just either make benign changes (best case but still annoying) or they actually make them worse (hard to believe but true).

Upvote 0
I have my model 3 set to charge at 3am every morning, and my wifes model Y to charge at 4am every morning. It works fine, every single day. I believe I set it in the car, not the app the first time, but I have changed the start time using the app and it has worked fine.

You are not the only person who has had an issue with scheduled charging, but it usually seems to come down to some combination of things like they tried to set scheduled departure (and you cant have both) or scheduled departure settings never got removed, or they have a wall charger with scheduled configuration and it conflicts, or something like that.

Basically, operator error of some point.
You may be right. I can't remember which source I used first to set charging, but I think the iPhone app. I have changed both to Scheduled Charging about 5 times. The very first time about 2 hours after I drove the vehicle home from the dealership Departure Time seemed reasonable until at 4AM the next morning it had not started charging for a departure at 7AM. I changed it to Scheduled. Does it revert back to Departure Time? Yes, constantly.

Upvote 0
You may be right. I can't remember which source I used first to set charging, but I think the iPhone app. I have changed both to Scheduled Charging about 5 times. The very first time about 2 hours after I drove the vehicle home from the dealership Departure Time seemed reasonable until at 4AM the next morning it had not started charging for a departure at 7AM. I changed it to Scheduled. Does it revert back to Departure Time? Yes, constantly.

Try going into the car and removing both scheduled charging and scheduled departure, then setting scheduled charging.

Or, said another way, if you are waiting for a firmware update to fix something on this, you will be waiting forever, because there isnt a firmware problem with using scheduled charging.

Reactions: Rocky_H and Thp3
Upvote 0
Ok, maybe I am just interpreting the settings on the app incorrectly. In the app, there are 2 tabs under Schedule - Departure and Charge. Schedule is set to 7:00 AM. Charge has a setting that says "Enable Scheduled Charging" which I have turned on. Start Charging at 1AM is indicated below that. It says below that "Car will charge at 01:00 AM". Will it do that? not necessarily. That's my problem. I assumed that when the blue switch for Enable Scheduled Charging is turned on, it disables Departure settings. Is that incorrect? If I go to the main menu page (on the app on my phone), the "Schedule" says "Car will charge at 01:00 AM". Does it make a difference which device I use to do this? (Vehicle or phone app) Earlier today, I set both to Scheduled charging, then, 1 hour later the settings had changed. I will get this figured out.

Upvote 0
Does it make a difference which device I use to do this?

I agree with @BitJam I believe its a bit confusing, and I also believe there is a difference in which place you do it (especially if you are having issues). I am going to repeat what I said before. I am not trying to be insulting or anything, I just believe this is what needs to happen.

Go to the car, disable ALL scheduled departure and charging. unplug your car. Plug it in and make sure it starts charging immediately and does not say anything about scheduled charging or scheduled departure times (waiting to charge). After you do that, FROM THE CAR set scheduled charging only at the time you want. Unplug the car again, and plug it back in and see if it now states your scheduled charging time.

Note: If the scheduled charging time is within 6 hours of the time you plug in the car it will start immediately. Example: You have scheduled charging set for 12 midnight, but are out at a friends house partying and take a nap before coming home. You come home at 5:30am. You plug in the car as soon as you get home (at 5:30 am). The car will start charging immediately because its within 6 hours of the time you set for scheduled charging (midnight).

Had you gotten home in the above example at 6:15am and plugged in, the car would NOT start charging, and would wait until midnight the of this day to charge.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and BitJam
Upvote 0
Yes they do love their fluff. LOL. Give me sensible every time. Its why I bought the vehicle.

Upvote 0
Ok, maybe I am just interpreting the settings on the app incorrectly. In the app, there are 2 tabs under Schedule - Departure and Charge. Schedule is set to 7:00 AM. Charge has a setting that says "Enable Scheduled Charging" which I have turned on. Start Charging at 1AM is indicated below that. It says below that "Car will charge at 01:00 AM". Will it do that? not necessarily. That's my problem. I assumed that when the blue switch for Enable Scheduled Charging is turned on, it disables Departure settings. Is that incorrect? If I go to the main menu page (on the app on my phone), the "Schedule" says "Car will charge at 01:00 AM". Does it make a difference which device I use to do this? (Vehicle or phone app) Earlier today, I set both to Scheduled charging, then, 1 hour later the settings had changed. I will get this figured out.
i didn't touch the car but set app to charge at 4am n departure to 6am. works like a clock. never failed.
when i plug in during the day it actually starts charging right away ignoring the setting, up until some time later in the day, i didn't figure out that threshold yet

Upvote 0
i didn't touch the car but set app to charge at 4am n departure to 6am. works like a clock. never failed.
when i plug in during the day it actually starts charging right away ignoring the setting, up until some time later in the day, i didn't figure out that threshold yet

Scheduled charge time and departure time do not work together, they are mutually exclusive (tesla doesnt do a good (or even passable) job of explaining that. its one or the other. If you set scheduled charge time then scheduled departure, the scheduled charging time is not in effect at all, the car is just working backwards from the departure time that you scheduled.

EDIT:

Here is Tesla's explanation in the model 3 manual online. Its not great but it does cover the above a bit:

Screen Shot 2022-12-10 at 2.15.12 PM.png

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
Scheduled charge time and departure time do not work together, they are mutually exclusive (tesla doesnt do a good (or even passable) job of explaining that. its one or the other. If you set scheduled charge time then scheduled departure, the scheduled charging time is not in effect at all, the car is just working backwards from the departure time that you scheduled.

EDIT:

Here is Tesla's explanation in the model 3 manual online. Its not great but it does cover the above a bit:

View attachment 883549
you sir are correct but what i just realized, i only have Pre-conditioning on, Off-peak is off
so i think everything is functioning as designed

1670711016388.png

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0
The interface is terrible, and it messes people up all the time. There are two most common problems people are having:

1. The mutually exclusive settings, which @jjrandorin described.
2. People are trying to set these things with the car not plugged in, and that doesn't save. Charge schedule time and custom amp level will be a saved setting for a specific location. But it will only do that if you are setting them while the car is plugged in there.

• Helpful
Upvote 0
This is definitely a Tesla issue. I have been using the schedule charge time since date of delivery March 2021. Never had an issue with carastarting at 12am. Come Sept 2022. All of a sudden car will charge on its own as soon as i plug in regardless of time.
Of course Tesla keeps saying there is no issue and I am using the charging wrong

Upvote 0
This is definitely a Tesla issue. I have been using the schedule charge time since date of delivery March 2021. Never had an issue with carastarting at 12am. Come Sept 2022. All of a sudden car will charge on its own as soon as i plug in regardless of time.
Of course Tesla keeps saying there is no issue and I am using the charging wrong
Well, this quite likely could be a combination of both. Other people are not reporting seeing this problem, so it's not likely to be a problem with the update itself. However, updates frequently are known to revert some settings back to other things than what people had them set to before, so you may need to go back and set your charging schedule again.

Upvote 0
I have set it on all driver profiles to start at 12am as well as the app. The car was factory reset by tesla and set to start at scheduled time 12am and all apps on phones were deleted and restarted. This was back in October. Here we are December and issue is still a factor. As you see all peofiles set to 12am. 1 min later car just starts charging

Attachments

• 20221212_220544.jpg
    20221212_220544.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 38
  • 20221212_220556.jpg
    20221212_220556.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 20221212_220607.jpg
    20221212_220607.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 20221212_220640.jpg
    20221212_220640.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 37
Upvote 0
I have set it on all driver profiles to start at 12am as well as the app. The car was factory reset by tesla and set to start at scheduled time 12am and all apps on phones were deleted and restarted. This was back in October. Here we are December and issue is still a factor. As you see all peofiles set to 12am. 1 min later car just starts charging
Huh, OK, yep, that looks like it's set right, so my assumption was off. Another question then: what is it that you're seeing that says it's charging? Sometimes people see the pulsing green on the charge port and always think that means it's charging, but they may not realize that if the door is open, and the heat is on, it will be drawing that energy through the plug connection, even though it's not really "charging" because it's scheduled for later.

If that schedule is set properly, then when you put the plug into it, the car's screen should show a message that says something like Charging is scheduled for 12:00 AM. It doesn't show that? Also, I mentioned it earlier, but you put that setting in the profiles while it was plugged in, right?

Upvote 0
I have ONE non-Tesla home charger (Chargepoint Flex) which I use with "scheduled charging" for both of our Teslas. It works perfectly every time when either car is plugged in. I have the scheduled charge time set to 9pm nightly which is when the "off-peak" rates charged by my utility, Public Service Electric & Gas in NJ start.
I also use Scheduled Departure "Precondition" for my daily weekday departure time for leaving for work. It is very useful, especially in the colder weather here in NJ, so that there is no issue with regenerative braking, etc. when I start my commute. Also, not an issue with timing at all.

Is the issue perhaps with Tesla's Home charger?

Upvote 0
Huh, OK, yep, that looks like it's set right, so my assumption was off. Another question then: what is it that you're seeing that says it's charging? Sometimes people see the pulsing green on the charge port and always think that means it's charging, but they may not realize that if the door is open, and the heat is on, it will be drawing that energy through the plug connection, even though it's not really "charging" because it's scheduled for later.

Having major issues replaying on this thread and app. Sorry. I'm working on it.

will display car will charge

If that schedule is set properly, then when you put the plug into it, the car's screen should show a message that says something like Charginis scheduled for 12:00 AM. It doesn't show that? Also, I mentioned it earlier, but you put that setting in the profiles while its plugged in, right?

Yes allprofallprofil

Yes the car

If that schedule is set properly, then when you put the plug into it, the car's screen should show a message that says something like Charging is scheduled for 12:00 AM. It doesn't show that? Also, I mentioned it earlier, but you put that setting in the profiles while it was plugged in, right?

Upvote 0