Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All, New to the Tesla family but the Model 3 after about 5 weeks is much more than I expected. Clearly the best vehicle I have owned over the last 30 years. I am impressed with many things but like you all, there are a few things that mystify. Charging at home with a Tesla wall charger at 32A. I set the iPhone app and the car to charge at a scheduled time (1AM). Does it keep that setting? Absolutely not. At first, I thought it was operator error. It's not. Am I the only one who appreciates the constant software updates hoping each time they will fix something like this, or should I just appreciate them adding radio station icons to the screen instead? Seriously.

The worst part is Telsa keeps saying there is no issue. I tried to tell them there was an update back in SSeptember when this all started. Never had an issue from March 2021 till Sept 2022. They ssaid all their diagnostic are showing its working great.

Have you ever, at any point, used ANY third party software that interacts with your car? Including, but not limited to, stats, teslafi, teslamate, watch for tesla, tessie, etc etc?

I use scheduled charging on two teslas and it works fine, one starts at 3am as scheduled and one starts at 4am as scheduled. The one scheduled for 3am has been scheduled for a 3 am start time for over 2 years, through various updates, and still charges at that time.

The one charging at 4am I just got it march of this year, but has been set to charge at 4am since it was parked in my garage, and also works fine.

I have read about a few other people who have issues, but as I said in another thread, it usually comes down to either trying to use scheduled departure and scheduled charging together, or interactions with a third party app, or something else.

Upvote 0
@jjrandorin If this is yet another case of that, I'm going to have a nice hearty laugh. And I am going to go even further into my opinion of telling people to not screw around with that stuff.

I have seen situations here where people either try out something that interacts with the car like teslafi or stats (I am only mentioning those because they are two of the most popular ones) and decide they dont need them then delete it thinking that stops whatever they setup. As you pointed out, it doesnt.

I have also seen people have a non tesla wall connector with some sort of scheduled charging, and try to do it there and in the car.

I have also seen people sign up for some service that manages charging (like optiwatt or some other service like that) and forget they signed up for it.

Thats in addition to the confusion around scheduled charging vs scheduled departure, etc, and how those (dont) really work together.

In the other currently active thread on this, the member got confirmation from the Tesla service center that "its a mobile request thats activating charging", so its likely some combination of those things above.

For @levi.peters193 the only thing that makes sense is that an outside service is triggering charging, since the tesla scheduled charging correctly shows the start time. If you have scheduled charging setup, then click "start charging" in the app, the car will correctly start charging even though scheduled charging is setup. "Something" is triggering their car to start charging, and probably not the car, but something from outside the car.

Why now vs the past year, no idea, more digging into who has access to the vehicle, etc. @levi.peters193 should change their tesla account password, and try it again.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
Upvote 0
Yes they do love their fluff. LOL. Give me sensible every time. Its why I bought the vehicle.
You need to set your departure time with preconditioning first on the app before you set the time to start charging. If you set the charging time first and then switch to departure and preconditioning and set that, you will notice if you go back to charging time it has switched off. Its just how it is. Or of course you can opt to let the car decide when to start charging by using the off peak setting. Here you would set the departure and precondition time for when you want to leave, and set the off peak end time the same. The charging time in this case you would leave off. However with this option i have had a couple of issues. I now always pick when the car starts charging as i always get a steady 33mph at 32 amps from my Tesla wall connector and can work out how many hours i need for the miles i need for the next day. As said though if your using the app you must set your departure-precondition time first, leave the off peak setting off and then switch to charging to set your start time. I have never had an issue with this and charge like this every night as i do a lt of travelling. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
I have never had a 3rd party app. Like I said this all started Sept of 2022. there was an update on the car and the app. And some how it triggered the car to start charging as ssoon as I plug in the charger. I have an android same ozone I have had since I owned the car. Tesla has rebooted the car they made me delete the app completely from my phone and my wife's phones. We had to relogin on the phone app. And it still does what it does. I'll dig deeper and see if I can figure it out.

Upvote 0
I have never had a 3rd party app. Like I said this all started Sept of 2022. there was an update on the car and the app. And some how it triggered the car to start charging as ssoon as I plug in the charger. I have an android same ozone I have had since I owned the car. Tesla has rebooted the car they made me delete the app completely from my phone and my wife's phones. We had to relogin on the phone app. And it still does what it does. I'll dig deeper and see if I can figure it out.

Change your tesla account password, log out and log back in.

Upvote 0
Ok so I deleted the app on both my phone and wife's. Plugged the car in and did not start charging. I re downloaded the app on my phone (android) looks like it's working fine now. I haven't downloaded it back on my wife's (apple) seems to have an update on my phone that wasn't normally updating when I do my daily checks for updates. So far so good.

Reactions: BitJam
Upvote 0