Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled departure epic fail

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2014 Model S 60

Just got the update and tried last night. Plugged in at 10pm with battery at 20%, scheduled departure 630am.
Walked out to the car at 620am and climate control was on, but car charging at 40% battery.
Is this software working properly for others?

2014 Model S 60

Just got the update and tried last night. Plugged in at 10pm with battery at 20%, scheduled departure 630am.
Walked out to the car at 620am and climate control was on, but car charging at 40% battery.
Yes.

Do you have TeslaFi or other tracking software with which you can see when charging started? Rate? Etc...

2014 Model S 60

I have been using it without issue. It seems to be over cautious for me and finished 30 to 60 minutes early.

2014 Model S 60

Welcome to my world.

Same issues. Very random, but mostly it will fail to hit the % requested at the departure time. We're not alone, reported by others as well.

It's a bit frustrating, but as often with their new feature, it's a first iteration and it will improve in reliability and maybe in functionality. Kindda reminds me of when they added in the app the possibility to heat seats, etc. It took a while but is now pretty solid and rich in feature

Interesting. Have used it for 3 weeks straight and it has worked every day.

I wonder what is different?
I think you are proof that there was some testing done, and so under certain conditions it works like a charm.

Now tesla is gathering the feature's behaviour on the entire fleet (or some larger sample) and will adapt it to cope with context wrongly assumed or unexpected :)

Reactions: Rocky_H
2014 Model S 60

Since you had to "walk out to the car" I am assuming that you park outside.

What was the temp overnight?

At what rate are you charging, to what %, and when/how long does it normally take to charge?

I would postulate that the car is scheduling the start time based on the warm battery, and when it cold soaks overnight it cannot warm it up fast enough to hit the planned departure.

• Informative
Reactions: VT_EE
Well..... the car knows the variable conditions you mentioned correct?? If scheduled departure is going to be used by the masses then it needs to be able to compensate for those variables.

Those of us who have issues with it are probably saying its an incredibly basic scheduler. We expected a whole lot more.

Mine works, justing finishes about an hour early. I stopped using it because I don't want it heating or cooling (preconditioning) the car. Mine is in the garage and every morning it was preconditioning and it was also preheating when parked at my office. Since smart preconditioning was removed (at least as a separate setting) and seems to be incorporated into scheduled departure, I won't use it.

Maybe - 5C.....not that bad.

At what rate are you charging, to what %, and when/how long does it normally take to charge?
My car can do 40 amps, hpwc can do 48 amps.... Car set to 32 amps.

I would postulate that the car is scheduling the start time based on the warm battery, and when it cold soaks overnight it cannot warm it up fast enough to hit the planned departure.
I can't see it.... I usually schedule my charge for 1230am in the winter, and even at 10% I'd be at 90% by 7am or so.

Tried again today..... Battery was at 65%, set to 90%, dep time set at 615 am.... Checked with the app at 540am and the car hadn't even started charging, but then it did start while was watching the app. It's like the scheduled departure isn't enough to wake the car up, but then the app wakes it up and it realizes it should be charging.

Tried again today..... Battery was at 65%, set to 90%, dep time set at 615 am.... Checked with the app at 540am and the car hadn't even started charging, but then it did start while was watching the app. It's like the scheduled departure isn't enough to wake the car up, but then the app wakes it up and it realizes it should be charging.
I read this already.
Have you activated the energy save mode?
I have never done so and also checked the always on connectivity.
It does not charge to the limit but it does charge without me having to open the app to wake it.

This makes perfect sense. (speculation follows) If the user is parking outside in sub-freezing temps, then it will not charge at the normal rate until the battery is warmed up some. I don't see this behavior changing either. In order for the scheduled departure to work in these conditions, the car would have to continuously monitor the pack temperature and recalculate the start time based on the new temp readings. I doubt this can happen while in sleep mode, which means the vampire drain would be significantly higher overnight. I would avoid using scheduled departure in the winter and just charge when the pack is warm in the evening.

If the user is parking outside in sub-freezing temps, then it will not charge at the normal rate until the battery is warmed up some.
It has to be REALLY cold before the battery won’t take the full 6-10kw from a typical home L2 charger.

I don’t think this is a significant problem, and unlikely to be the cause of OP’s problem. Rather, it’s a new Tesla feature with a ton of bugs and just isn’t reliable yet.

It has to be REALLY cold before the battery won’t take the full 6-10kw from a typical home L2 charger.

I don’t think this is a significant problem, and unlikely to be the cause of OP’s problem. Rather, it’s a new Tesla feature with a ton of bugs and just isn’t reliable yet.
The OP appears to be from Canada so it's entirely possible that it was REALLY cold out and the vehicle spent a lot of time heating up the battery prior to actually charging. I've had a 120V charge stop in the middle of the night when it got into the teens because power was not sufficient to keep the battery warm. It is certainly possible the weather is the cause given that most of us have had no problems with scheduled departure.