Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled Departure, How does it work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a question about scheduled departure.

Yesterday evening I set it to have a scheduled departure for my commute to work. That seemed to work well and the car was charged and ready.

I arrived at work, still fiddling with settings, and I noted under the charge tab it had no scheduled departure showing. When I looked at the options it was defaulted to 8:00 and every day.

My question, is scheduled departure location specific? Meaning at home it can be set one way, and at work another?

I'm at 68% and set it to 100% and it's 9pm and scheduled departure for 6:30am. I took off-peak charging off and it started charging. The app says 3hrs 20min, why? I have a wall charger 40A and departure is 9 hours away. Why would it start charging right away? I put it back on off-peak, starting at 12:00am but I fear it'll start then and remain 100% for a few hours. Am I missing something?

Upvote 0
I'm at 68% and set it to 100% and it's 9pm and scheduled departure for 6:30am. I took off-peak charging off and it started charging. The app says 3hrs 20min, why? I have a wall charger 40A and departure is 9 hours away. Why would it start charging right away? I put it back on off-peak, starting at 12:00am but I fear it'll start then and remain 100% for a few hours. Am I missing something?
Make sure you have not duplicated Scheduled Departure settings within the Charging Screen settings and also within the Tesla app. Turn off Scheduled Departure, off-peak charging settings in the vehicle and in the Tesla app. You might try rebooting the Tesla vehicle and logging out of the Tesla app, log back in. In summary Tesla's Scheduled Charging and Scheduled Departure (Charging) functions are not always reliable.

Upvote 0
I determined it would take 3 hrs 20 min to charge to 99% so I set start time to charge 3hrs30min prior to departure. Turns out it charged a lot faster and my car remained at 99% for awhile. Probably an hour or so. Harmful to battery?
Not at all harmful. Leaving the battery at a high state of charge for an extended period such as days or even weeks (especially in warmer temperatures) would be detrimental over the the long term to the battery. For everything else, just plug in daily if you can. Charge up to 80% or 90% if needed and enjoy the drive.

Upvote 0
Yes. You need to turn on Off-Peak Charge. You can leave off Precondition if you don’t need it. If it immediately starts charging too early, hit the Stop Charging button. All this can be done in the app. This link helped me sort this out.

Upvote 0
Yes. You need to turn on Off-Peak Charge. You can leave off Precondition if you don’t need it. If it immediately starts charging too early, hit the Stop Charging button. All this can be done in the app. This link helped me sort this out.
I was wrong when I said you should hit the Stop Charging button if it immediately starts charging. This is from the Tesla owners manual on p. 162:
”When plugging in with Off-Peak Charging enabled, the vehicle briefly draws power (you may hear clicking) to calculate the necessary charging start time.”

Upvote 0
So if I want to leave my Model S plugged in to my NEMA outlet in my garage when I go on a 2 week vacation, I just plug it in and set the set the max charge of 150 mi (or what ever min is in %) and schedule from midnight to say 5 AM and that should assure me that my battery will never go above 150 miles and vampire drain will be be served properly, right? I will set Sentry to on at home while I am away. Just that easy?

Upvote 0
So if I want to leave my Model S plugged in to my NEMA outlet in my garage when I go on a 2 week vacation, I just plug it in and set the set the max charge of 150 mi (or what ever min is in %) and schedule from midnight to say 5 AM and that should assure me that my battery will never go above 150 miles and vampire drain will be be served properly, right? I will set Sentry to on at home while I am away. Just that easy?
Yes. Just follow the procedure to set it up, it is a little clunky.

Upvote 0
You don't have to charge any differently when you are away, i.e. setup Scheduled Charging than your normal charging routine. Once the Tesla has charged the vehicle battery to your set charging limit (i.e. 50%) the battery will only charge briefly each day to recoup the energy used by leaving Sentry Mode turned on while parked.

All power plugs and receptacles in the US and Canada are North America Electrical Manufacturer's Association (NEMA) plugs and receptacles. The NEMA 14-50 is one of the more commonly used 240V/50A power plug and receptacle.

Reactions: RickParker
Upvote 0
I have not set my car for a scheduled departure, but it seems to have figured out my schedule and sets it to go to work. I'm on vacation and it still has me ready to go to work :)
Do you have Scheduled Departure - Preconditioning set up? In that case the Tesla vehicle will precondition the vehicle starting just before your usual departure time. The preconditioning can be set for M-F or Every Day. Scheduled Departure - Charging is a separate setting.

Upvote 0
Also, you now can set up Scheduled Departure Charging and Preconditioning on the Tesla phone app, not only from the Tesla charging settings screen inside the Tesla vehicle. Is it possible that these settings were enabled in the phone app?
I apparently have a 5:15 AM scheduled departure on the app, thanks for pointing that out. When it was cooler, I was heating the car before I left for work. It no longer is preconditioning, but the time is still there. Mystery solved!

• Helpful
Reactions: jcanoe
Upvote 0
So if I am parked at a certain address, say my brothers, a meeting downtown or my driveway, and I set it to preheat the car for a specific time, this fact is saved for that address and will pre condition again at that address if I am ever there at that time again ?? How do I delete these presets with visiting the location again?

This might cause some grief if I park at the airport, set it to precondition at the time my flight arrives, then I go home. A week or several months later I go to the airport again and forget to turn this off for the airport address. Won’t my car be preheating everyday until I get back ??? My battery will definitely be close to 20 % when I get back.

Any thoughts ?? Can we manage this list of addresses and settings somewhere online?

Upvote 0
So if I am parked at a certain address, say my brothers, a meeting downtown or my driveway, and I set it to preheat the car for a specific time, this fact is saved for that address and will pre condition again at that address if I am ever there at that time again ?? How do I delete these presets with visiting the location again?

This might cause some grief if I park at the airport, set it to precondition at the time my flight arrives, then I go home. A week or several months later I go to the airport again and forget to turn this off for the airport address. Won’t my car be preheating everyday until I get back ??? My battery will definitely be close to 20 % when I get back.

Any thoughts ?? Can we manage this list of addresses and settings somewhere online?
For daily preconditioning at a specific location such as home or work use the Scheduled Departure Preconditioning feature. This can be found under the charging options and also on the Climate Control (CC) settings screen. (Preconditioning is a CC function not a charging functions but Tesla chooses to put the Scheduled Departure Preconditioning settings in two places. You can set a second Scheduled Departure Preconditioning location and time, i.e. your work place at the end of the work day using the Tesla app.

For all other preconditioning requirements you can use the Tesla app to manually initiate preconditioning (about 5 to 10 minutes before you plan to drive.) Just press the fan icon on the main page of the Tesla app. * There are 3rd party apps that you can use that provide more flexibility with scheduled charging and preconditioning options.

* In extreme winter conditions when your Tesla vehicle may be covered in snow and ice there is now a single button option to defrost the Tesla vehicle (found under the Climate Control Settings of the Tesla app.) If you do this often you can add the Defrost Vehicle icon to the main screen Tesla app by customizing the Tesla app settings.

Upvote 0