Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled Departure, How does it work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a question about scheduled departure.

Yesterday evening I set it to have a scheduled departure for my commute to work. That seemed to work well and the car was charged and ready.

I arrived at work, still fiddling with settings, and I noted under the charge tab it had no scheduled departure showing. When I looked at the options it was defaulted to 8:00 and every day.

My question, is scheduled departure location specific? Meaning at home it can be set one way, and at work another?

I have a question about scheduled departure.

Yesterday evening I set it to have a scheduled departure for my commute to work. That seemed to work well and the car was charged and ready.

I arrived at work, still fiddling with settings, and I noted under the charge tab it had no scheduled departure showing. When I looked at the options it was defaulted to 8:00 and every day.

My question, is scheduled departure location specific? Meaning at home it can be set one way, and at work another?
Yes, Scheduled Departure - Charging and Scheduled Departure - Preconditioning are location specific. Usually you set Scheduled Departure - Charging for charging at your home location, so the Tesla vehicle completes charging by the time you usually leave in the A.M. or the time that the off-peak rate period ends.

Scheduled Departure - Preconditioning (note that for Preconditioning the Tesla vehicle does not have to be plugged in, only have at least a 20% state of charge for the battery pack) will start to precondition the Tesla vehicle (the battery pack and the passenger cabin will be warmed starting about 20 minutes before the time you specify.) Scheduled Departure - Preconditioning can be performed year round but is important in winter to pre-warm the battery pack and warm/defrost the passenger cabin and windows. If you don't precondition the Tesla vehicle in cold temperatures then regenerative braking will be limited or even unavailable until the battery pack has warmed to at least 10C (50F)

When charging the Tesla vehicle will warm the battery pack to 10C (50F) before starting to charge. If you set Scheduled Departure - Preconditioning to begin shortly after charging completes then the battery will already be partially warmed from charging. During Preconditioning the Tesla vehicle will warm the battery pack to 20C (68F) unless navigating to a Supercharger. When navigating to a Supercharger the Tesla vehicle will warm the battery pack to ~ 46C (115F) for optimum Supercharging.

Using the Tesla settings you can only set one Scheduled Departure charging session and one Scheduled Preconditioning session per day. (Preconditioning can be set for Monday through Friday or Every Day.) If you use a third party app you can set multiple charging and preconditioning windows.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. I think I understand it, I guess I will know this week if I really do!

What is the 3rd party app you are referring to so I can investigate that as an option also,
Teslafi, Teslamate. There are a few other third party apps that can enable you to schedule multiple charging sessions, preconditioning sessions per day, location.

Reactions: Mister_Greyman
Upvote 0
Great info, but I am still trying to appreciate pre-conditioning. I appreciate the need to warm the battery in cold environments. However, do I need to precondition in the summer months when garage is between 65-90 degrees F?

Only have 1500 miles on MY and still learning. What is the primary need for preconditioning? ..... help extend battery life, improve range, distribute charging heat????? Thanks!

Upvote 0
Great info, but I am still trying to appreciate pre-conditioning. I appreciate the need to warm the battery in cold environments. However, do I need to precondition in the summer months when garage is between 65-90 degrees F?

Only have 1500 miles on MY and still learning. What is the primary need for preconditioning? ..... help extend battery life, improve range, distribute charging heat????? Thanks!
Not usually; in warmer weather when Preconditioning the Tesla will run the AC and cool the passenger cabin for the comfort of the passengers so the cabin temperature is comfortable when entering the vehicle (takes maybe 7 or 8 minutes if the cabin temperature is in the 90s when you start preconditioning.) While charging or driving if the battery pack gets warm enough then the Tesla battery management system can cool the battery as required.

Reactions: Cobe
Upvote 0
jcanoe I appreciate the info, I've been trying to figure out the S.D. feature for the last month, and through trial and error have realized it's location specific (which is awesome). My question to you is, where did you find that information? I've googled the question several times, the answer you gave is the best i've come across yet.
Just by trying different things. I mostly charge at a public Level 2 charging station so I could see that the Scheduled Departure settings were overridden when charging at the away from home charging location.

Reactions: SanCarlosJeff
Upvote 1
Just to clarify, since I’m going to use SD for the first time prior to a trip tomorrow - if I set the charge limit to 95%, and the departure time to 9 am, the car will ‘arrange’ to be charged to 95% and precondition, by 9 am, correct?
Depending on the software version of your Model Y you may be able to set Scheduled Departure from the Tesla phone app. Else you will have to set Scheduled Departure in the Charging settings from inside the Model Y. Scheduled Departure will complete charging just before (usually 15 to 20 minutes before) the set departure time.

Related but separate from Scheduled Departure is Scheduled Charging. Scheduled Charging is easier to use. With Scheduled Departure you set a time, each evening or overnight hour, for charging to begin such that you know that charging will complete well before you need to start driving and before the off-peak rate period ends (if you have a time of use (TOU) rate plan in effect at your home.)

Scheduled Preconditioning is set independently from Scheduled Departure. Depending on your Model Y's software version you may be able to schedule preconditioning from the Tesla phone app. If not via the app you can access Scheduled Preconditioning from the Charging Screen along with Scheduled Departure. You can also access the Scheduled Preconditioning settings under the Climate Control screen settings.

Just a heads up that you really should work out the Scheduled Departure/Scheduled Preconditioning settings ahead of time, not just before you need them as they are some of the least understood settings/controls for the Tesla vehicle.

Reactions: AlMason
Upvote 0
Depending on the software version of your Model Y you may be able to set Scheduled Departure from the Tesla phone app. Else you will have to set Scheduled Departure in the Charging settings from inside the Model Y. Scheduled Departure will complete charging just before (usually 15 to 20 minutes before) the set departure time.

Related but separate from Scheduled Departure is Scheduled Charging. Scheduled Charging is easier to use. With Scheduled Departure you set a time, each evening or overnight hour, for charging to begin such that you know that charging will complete well before you need to start driving and before the off-peak rate period ends (if you have a time of use (TOU) rate plan in effect at your home.)

Scheduled Preconditioning is set independently from Scheduled Departure. Depending on your Model Y's software version you may be able to schedule preconditioning from the Tesla phone app. If not via the app you can access Scheduled Preconditioning from the Charging Screen along with Scheduled Departure. You can also access the Scheduled Preconditioning settings under the Climate Control screen settings.

Just a heads up that you really should work out the Scheduled Departure/Scheduled Preconditioning settings ahead of time, not just before you need them as they are some of the least understood settings/controls for the Tesla vehicle.
Did some more reading and think I have it set. Since I don’t want it to hit 95% until 9 am, when we’re leaving, I set it as per the first pic. We don’t have off-peak rates, so that doesn’t really matter.

Attachments

• 2A0BD033-D99B-49AD-8823-0028913BCDE4.jpeg
    2A0BD033-D99B-49AD-8823-0028913BCDE4.jpeg
    131.5 KB · Views: 1,874
  • B12D0607-84D5-4EE3-80E7-38E3316B8007.jpeg
    B12D0607-84D5-4EE3-80E7-38E3316B8007.jpeg
    258.1 KB · Views: 877
Upvote 0
Did some more reading and think I have it set. Since I don’t want it to hit 95% until 9 am, when we’re leaving, I set it as per the first pic. We don’t have off-peak rates, so that doesn’t really matter.
You stated that you are leaving tomorrow (Saturday) yet you set Off-Peak Rate Charging and Scheduled Departure Preconditioning for weekdays only. I would set both Off-Peak Rate Charging and Scheduled Departure Preconditioning for All Week.

Upvote 0
FYI everyone. I accidentally stumbled upon a way to have 2 scheduled departure times per day. One for leaving home in the morning to go to work and one for leaving work in the afternoon to come home. I set the departure time from home through my MY screen and then once I have arrived at work I change the departure time for when I usually quit for the day in the Tesla phone app. The best part is it remembers both and I don't have to enter it in every time I'm at work. It will only precondition for returning home from work if I'm actually at work - brilliant!!!

Jeeves

Upvote 0
Yes, Scheduled Departure - Charging and Scheduled Departure - Preconditioning are location specific. Usually you set Scheduled Departure - Charging for charging at your home location, so the Tesla vehicle completes charging by the time you usually leave in the A.M. or the time that the off-peak rate period ends.

Scheduled Departure - Preconditioning (note that for Preconditioning the Tesla vehicle does not have to be plugged in, only have at least a 20% state of charge for the battery pack) will start to precondition the Tesla vehicle (the battery pack and the passenger cabin will be warmed starting about 20 minutes before the time you specify.) Scheduled Departure - Preconditioning can be performed year round but is important in winter to pre-warm the battery pack and warm/defrost the passenger cabin and windows. If you don't precondition the Tesla vehicle in cold temperatures then regenerative braking will be limited or even unavailable until the battery pack has warmed to at least 10C (50F)

When charging the Tesla vehicle will warm the battery pack to 10C (50F) before starting to charge. If you set Scheduled Departure - Preconditioning to begin shortly after charging completes then the battery will already be partially warmed from charging. During Preconditioning the Tesla vehicle will warm the battery pack to 20C (68F) unless navigating to a Supercharger. When navigating to a Supercharger the Tesla vehicle will warm the battery pack to ~ 46C (115F) for optimum Supercharging.

Using the Tesla settings you can only set one Scheduled Departure charging session and one Scheduled Preconditioning session per day. (Preconditioning can be set for Monday through Friday or Every Day.) If you use a third party app you can set multiple charging and preconditioning windows.
I would like the APP to have a option in the Schedule for "Today" with the All week and Weekdays. I am sure I am not the only one that needs to be departing a location at the same time every day. Just saying.......

Reactions: MikeRadio
Upvote 0
I tried it yesterday for my wife's commute. Selected 90%, ready at 8am, start charging after midnight. It didn't make it to the full 90% by 8am.
I have an S but I get exactly what I want or need when charging from home. I charge from home with a NEMA 1450 50 amp circuit. To many variables to you comment to give any advice. It maybe that you need to review you charge settings. Good Luck

Upvote 0