Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled Departure - not working as expected

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

pdx_m3s

May 18, 2019
Portland, OR
Using Scheduled Departure, I set my “depart at” time to 7:45am. I expected this to mean that the battery will finish charging a bit before that time (say, 7:15-7:30) and then use the remaining time to pre-condition the cabin. However, the car is finishing charging at around 5:40am and then (presumably) conditioning the cabin/battery for 2 hours!?

Also, confirmed it’s not a peak/off-peak issue (Portland General Electric TOU charging is opt-in, and peak doesn’t start until 4pm).

Is this normal?

• Funny
Reactions: lnsh
Using Scheduled Departure, I set my “depart at” time to 7:45am. I expected this to mean that the battery will finish charging a bit before that time (say, 7:15-7:30) and then use the remaining time to pre-condition the cabin. However, the car is finishing charging at around 5:40am and then (presumably) conditioning the cabin/battery for 2 hours!?

Also, confirmed it’s not a peak/off-peak issue (Portland General Electric TOU charging is opt-in, and peak doesn’t start until 4pm).

Is this normal?
Charging will stop at 06:00 at the latest. Conditioning will start to have the cabin at the set temperature for your scheduled departure time. The start time will vary with outside temp vs setpoint.

Phil

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando

Is this normal?

Did you read the release notes?

Is this normal?

I think several people have flagged this as a "quirk" in the first release of this capability.
For some reason, Tesla seem to have hardcoded a 6am cut-off.

My expectation is that they will fix this on future releases, but you perhaps should file a software bug for it.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Thanks guys. I can see now, in the release notes, that the peak/off-peak cutoff is just a hardcoded 6am cutoff. Hopefully this is fixed in future releases.

FWIW I think this is totally intentional by Tesla. I think they are trying to be “kind” to the power grid by avoiding drawing huge current during peak “morning warmup” times in the winter.

I presume this is to be a good steward of grid resources and to avoid overloading the system and causing outages.

While this is a “social good”, it is saving the power company money to the detriment of Tesla owners (basically your battery is not as warm as it could be when you want it to be). While I fully believe the future will be for everyone to effectively be forced into TOU pricing to avoid this kind of behavior, ironically, implementing this feature slows down the need for power companies to roll out incentive programs to folks since the power company is getting this functionality from Tesla for free.

I too live in Portland and am on a flat rate billing plan. I would like Tesla to make this a configurable option.

This makes no sense to have it finish charging earlier than scheduled departure time. I hope they fix this in the next update.

The reason I wanted to do it was so I can set it to still be charging when I am ready to leave so the battery will be warmed up when I leave. I set it for 7:45 completion and then set the % a few higher than what i really want. Then I can get out there and stop the charge at 7:25 and leave with a warm battery in the winter and at the % charge i want. Mine finished charging at 5:45 also.

My issue is I plugged my car in tonight a around 6:30pm. I have scheduled depart at 6:30am. Understand the 6am cutoff. However, the car started charging immediately and finished charging before 8pm.

Has to be bug. It worked right this morning.
Yeah I have a ticket open on it. Mine seems to forget every three days or so. As soon as you change any charging option it remembers...

Reactions: hcdavis3
Thanks guys. I can see now, in the release notes, that the peak/off-peak cutoff is just a hardcoded 6am cutoff. Hopefully this is fixed in future releases.
So for clarity, are you saying you think its following a peak schedule because your area uses peak scheduling, even though you're not subscribed to a peak plan, or do you think its doing that across the entire fleet, regardless of location? My area doesn't have any sort of peak cost. I don't have my M3 yet, so hopefully they get some of this sorted out by the time it arrives, though I'd rather get it sooner than later xD

Apart from the seat warmer which I found quite nice for the Tesla Preconditioning, is anyone finding the Tesla Departure program better than the one found in the Stats App? For one, the Stats App can be altered on the phone, whereas the Tesla one cannot. Additionally, I charge my car to 80% but routinely find it at 79% charge when it's time to leave with the Tesla app. I'm thinking of returning to the Stats App but just wondering if this is a 1.0 problem. I would prefer to stay with Tesla's app since they made the car.

So for clarity, are you saying you think its following a peak schedule because your area uses peak scheduling, even though you're not subscribed to a peak plan, or do you think its doing that across the entire fleet, regardless of location? My area doesn't have any sort of peak cost. I don't have my M3 yet, so hopefully they get some of this sorted out by the time it arrives, though I'd rather get it sooner than later xD

Tesla is not using location-based data to set the “finish” charging time. It’s hard coded to 6am for everyone.

• Helpful
Reactions: SheriffMoose
Anyone seen this get better? I still have a bug that schedule departure some nights never starts until I wake up and look at the Tesla app which wakes my car up and kicks it into charging because the scheduled departure is like 15 mins away! Then other nights it kicks on and charges as planned. I don’t change the departure time, always 5:15Am but my car just doesn’t wake up some nights to do the job. No good. Especially on increasingly cold nights where I count on the preconditioning!!

Anyone seen this get better? I still have a bug that schedule departure some nights never starts until I wake up and look at the Tesla app which wakes my car up and kicks it into charging because the scheduled departure is like 15 mins away! Then other nights it kicks on and charges as planned. I don’t change the departure time, always 5:15Am but my car just doesn’t wake up some nights to do the job. No good. Especially on increasingly cold nights where I count on the preconditioning!!
On the nights it doesn't wake... did you use the car the day before?

I have "schedule departure" set for 730a, with pre-conditioning set to only occur on weekdays. This past sat night, I got home around 11:30p, plugged in the car. It charged sun morning before 6am as usual.... however I did not drive the car or unplug it at all on Sun and Monday morning, it did not pre-condition the car for my 730a departure.

Its stuff like this makes me wonder what level of alpha testing do they really do. Wierd.

I have a few buddies in the engineering division of their System Test group, needless to say as an Engineer my self in the development group of another company - they say its pretty basic tests. They do not test requirements with each cycle. They sort of target deltas only ( which is OK ) and thats where the issues come up. They do not consider the edge cases. Also, i pointed it out as a New Yorker that certain things always point to California time such as sentry clips etc. They need to fix this based on location. He agreed.