Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled Departure - not working as expected

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the nights it doesn't wake... did you use the car the day before?

I have "schedule departure" set for 730a, with pre-conditioning set to only occur on weekdays. This past sat night, I got home around 11:30p, plugged in the car. It charged sun morning before 6am as usual.... however I did not drive the car or unplug it at all on Sun and Monday morning, it did not pre-condition the car for my 730a departure.
I use the car every day and those nights it didn’t start I used the car that day. Also it could be a Monday night or Thursday night, it’s random. Last night it worked, the night prior it didn’t. Whats worse is when it doesn’t work, I am them at a point the following night I can’t use the feature because I need to not chance it and start charging as soon as I get home to ensure I have battery to drive on the following day. So if it doesn’t work one night it actually turns into a two day penalty of no regen on the morning ride to work! It’s clearly a bug that the car isn’t checking or auto waking up but as soon as I give it a nudge via the app to cause it to wake up it realizes it should be charging based on the departure time and kicks into gear. It’s too late at that point of course to matter because I got to leave for work. Should I try my luck via support phone call or even worse go through the pain of scheduling a service appointment which will take a few weeks and an hour drive each way to nearest dealer?

So I called in to support and they said they are seeing charging errors happening for my car on their end. I see no such errors I explained. They said the errors usually mean a Hardware issue. I also made it clear my charge chargers perfectly with no odd behavior outside the use of scheduled departure charging. Now I have a service center appointment, and hoping when they read the notes and review my case they actually come out to me to diagnose this versus having to drive to a service center and waste a have a day of work. I made it clear to the customer service rep as soon as I wake my car up via the app it kicks into charging without problem. To me, that says no hardware problem but software.

Figured I would pile on here ... when I set my departure time, my car starts charging right away regardless if it needs the time or not. For example, I want to be at 100% tomorrow at 10am to start my road trip. The car starts charging right away and says it will be reached in 7hours on a 15amp feed. So it looks like the battery will be full (100%) at 11pm and sit full for 11 hours when I finally hit the road.

I'm certainly not comfortable having the battery at 100% for 11 hours. Because of this I have to gauge the speed of charge and step charge it until I'm ready to leave.

Any thoughts on this? Should I expect the car to stop charging at some point in the night to only start up again closer to departure time?