Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled Departure Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, looking for some assistance here

Want to know what is the best way to precondition the battery for the cold mornings?

How does Scheduled Departure work? Say off peak charging stops at 0430 but departure isn’t until 830, how would that work?

Does warning the cabin, precondition the battery too, or is this a separate things al together?

Thanks.

Reactions: Doudeau
I set the scheduled departure for 7:30 in the morning. I also usually have the air con on all the time when I’m in it.

It appears to kick into life at least 15 minutes before though as I get a message from the app about 7:15 saying the cabin is at the required temperature so it appears to warm the battery and also puts the climate control on.

If you are using the charging point to schedule the charge, then the heating will be powered from the battery. If you are using scheduled charging from the car, I’d expect it to warm up using the charging point. I generally set the charging schedule on the charging point to run until 7:30 and set the limit to what I require. I get most of my juice at work, so we don’t need to change the tariff or do much charging at home.

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
I set the scheduled departure for 7:30 in the morning. I also usually have the air con on all the time when I’m in it.

It appears to kick into life at least 15 minutes before though as I get a message from the app about 7:15 saying the cabin is at the required temperature so it appears to warm the battery and also puts the climate control on.

If you are using the charging point to schedule the charge, then the heating will be powered from the battery. If you are using scheduled charging from the car, I’d expect it to warm up using the charging point. I generally set the charging schedule on the charging point to run until 7:30 and set the limit to what I require. I get most of my juice at work, so we don’t need to change the tariff or do much charging at home.
Thanks for this

So my scenario will be like this

Car plugged in through the night
Charge point set to use the 4 hour off peak window
Departure 0830

So do I just set scheduled departure theough the app and that’ll precondition the battery automatically?

What I’ve been doing in the past is setting the climate in the cabin to desired temp about 15 mins before leaving, I too get the “cabin at desired temp” message. Does that mean though that the battery is preconditioned and therefore not using ridiculous energy consumption when setting off?

I used to do the same as you, just turning the air con on, but I’d sometimes get the blue snowflake indicating that the battery was cold even though the interior was a balmy 22.

I think you need to use the scheduled departure to warm the battery instead of using the air con.

It’s also location dependant so in my case it’s set for 7:30 at home and 4:15 pm at work. Once it’s set up, it remembers different times for regular destinations.

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
I used to do the same as you, just turning the air con on, but I’d sometimes get the blue snowflake indicating that the battery was cold even though the interior was a balmy 22.

I think you need to use the scheduled departure to warm the battery instead of using the air con.

It’s also location dependant so in my case it’s set for 7:30 at home and 4:15 pm at work. Once it’s set up, it remembers different times for regular destinations.
Thanks, yeh that’s all I’m doing is getting the cabin temp ready but then when driving you see the energy use is mental cos the battery isn’t warmed up.

You’d think there’d just be one icon tap in the app to warm up the battery? I see there’s a “start” icon to start the car, would a battery warm up be included in that ya think?

It appears to kick into life at least 15 minutes before though as I get a message from the app about 7:15 saying the cabin is at the required temperature
I liked your original post as this has been bugging me and so I’m glad you’re asking all the experts on here.

I have started setting the scheduled departure to 15 mins after I need it as it feels wasteful for it to be ready 15 mins early. I guess the battery hasn’t been preconditioned tho (but is it partly?).