Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled departure - What am i missing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a long (700+ km) trip to do today.

So yesterday i charged the car with our "free" solar, it reached 95% before the solar panel could not deliver enough power to continue.

No problem, i will just set the departure time to 8am and then it will be ready.

Just got up, it's 20 past 7 in the morning, and i just popped into the app, expecting the car to have started charging the battery to 100%.

But this has not happened, the car is connected to a 3.6Kw charger so it can not do 5% in less than an hour.

What's even more strange is, the only option i have in the app and on screen in the car is to "release charge port".

I tried turning the departure setting off, unplugging and replugging the charger, and i even tried rebooting the car, but i only get the option to release the charge port, not to charge. (Not even manually can i start a charge right now)

I have offcourse set the charge limit to 100% yesterday, befores starting to charge from the solar panels.

From what i read, the setting should make sure the car and the battery is prewarmed for the journey and the battery is topped up to the charge limit i set, so i now fear, that the car will start warming up the battery, using the battery itself, and when we depart we will be left with even less than 95%

Not a massive problem, i know that this will only be a minute or 2 extra at a SC when we go to charge the car, but still, either something is "broken" or the function does not work as i expected it to.

PS. the charger says "Car connected, waiting for car signal" which it always does when the car is connected, but does not demand a charge.

PPS. While writing this, the car just started heating the battery, and the charger has been activated and the car now draws 16Amps (Max) so it is not draining the battery atleast, i just do not understand why it will not charge the battery and just now, it stopped heating the battery, i assume this means that the battery is now at operating temperature, and the charger is now idling again, instead of charging the battery.

Bonus info : temperature outside right now is 5C (41F), if this matters ?

Many times these types of issues can be traced to a 3rd party energy monitoring app that has access to your Tesla account. Change your Tesla account password and see if you don't receive an email or text message from an app that you may have once given access to your account requesting the new certs.

Also, check that you don't have a second phone with the Tesla app and set up with Scheduled Departure Preconditioning turned on because that would cause the Tesla Model Y climate control to be activated. While preconditioning (whether via Scheduled Departure or manually) the Tesla Model Y will warm the battery as required. The Tesla Model Y will not warm the battery as much as in the past. This reduces the time needed to fully precondition the Tesla Model Y and saves energy.

When you charge to 95 to 100% you won't be able to use regenerative braking regardless of whether the battery has been warmed. Turn on blended friction braking under Pedals and Driving so the Tesla Model Y always slows as expected regardless of the battery temperature or state of charge.

Many times these types of issues can be traced to a 3rd party energy monitoring app that has access to your Tesla account. Change your Tesla account password and see if you don't receive an email or text message from an app that you may have once given access to your account requesting the new certs.

Also, check that you don't have a second phone with the Tesla app and set up with Scheduled Departure Preconditioning turned on because that would cause the Tesla Model Y climate control to be activated. While preconditioning (whether via Scheduled Departure or manually) the Tesla Model Y will warm the battery as required. The Tesla Model Y will not warm the battery as much as in the past. This reduces the time needed to fully precondition the Tesla Model Y and saves energy.

When you charge to 95 to 100% you won't be able to use regenerative braking regardless of whether the battery has been warmed. Turn on blended friction braking under Pedals and Driving so the Tesla Model Y always slows as expected regardless of the battery temperature or state of charge.
I have not granted any third party apps or integrations access to my Tesla account.

I only have 2 devices that can control the Tesla, my phone and my wifes phone.

I did not think to check her phone as well, but she generally does not do stuff like set departure and so on, so unless it was set on my phone, that setting "migrated" to her phone, and when i turned it off, her phone was still blocking me from starting a charge session, i do not know. If this happens again, i will certainly check her phone as well as mine.

I know the regenerative brakes does not work with a full battery, but when charging to full it is "always" because i am doing a longer roadtrip, and i live 3 miles from the motorway, so after 5 minutes of city driving i will be on the motorway, where the battery will be used up fairly quickly to the point, that i would expect the car to be able to do regenerative braking.

Checked the "Pedals and driving" and i see no option to turn on or off "blended friction brakes".

I only have

Acceleration - Chill or standard

Steering - Comfort, Standard or Sport

Stopping Mode - Creep, Roll or Hold

OffRoad Assist

Slip Start

Trailer mode

I dont know if the option you mention is not available on my MY or maybe it is country specific, but nevertheless i do not see that option ?

I know the regenerative brakes does not work with a full battery, but when charging to full it is "always" because i am doing a longer roadtrip, and i live 3 miles from the motorway, so after 5 minutes of city driving i will be on the motorway, where the battery will be used up fairly quickly to the point, that i would expect the car to be able to do regenerative braking.

Checked the "Pedals and driving" and i see no option to turn on or off "blended friction brakes".
Regenerative braking will be limited (either a little or a lot) whenever the battery is cold, i.e. temperature less than ~70F (21C). Regenerative braking will also be start to be limited when the battery state of charge is greater than 85%, even more limited above 90% and nonexistent above 94% SOC.

Five minutes of driving is not enough time to warm the battery or reduce the state of charge from 100% or nearly full and regain the use of regenerative braking.

Tesla drivers used to have to suck it up but now there is a setting under the Pedals & Steering settings that will restore the deceleration when you lift your foot from the accelerator pedal that would occur were regenerative braking available.

The driver of a Tesla Model Y can turn on a setting under the Pedals & Steering settings to "Apply Brakes When Regenerative Braking is Limited". In my 2020 LRMY this option appears under Regenerative braking. (My 2020 LRMY can be set for Standard or Low regenerative braking. This option was removed from later Tesla Model Y vehices.) The next option that appears (from top to bottom) is for Off Road Assist.