Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled departure with off-peak charging during weekdays on Friday

skyflyer

Jun 20, 2021
Slovenia
I've configured scheduled departure (8:00) and off-peak charging (ends at 06:00) during weekdays (as electricity is cheap for the whole weekend). And I've just noticed, since it is Friday, that when I plugged it in, it started to charge immediately. It was working as expected on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

I believe this to be a bug. Or am I not understanding what weekdays mean?

Thanks!

Aug 7, 2020
USA
Scheduled charging “needs an overhaul”. The Mach-E lets users control daily scheduled times. Our cars can “self drive” but can’t tell what day it is or the time?

skyflyer

Jun 20, 2021
Slovenia
Our cars can “self drive” but can’t tell what day it is or the time?
Well, I don't know about that. I mean it works Mon-Thu just fine ;)

Honestly, a bit of an explanation in the manual would help, and the manual is outdated as anyhow (/wrt off-peak charging). But it makes sense to only have a time by which the off-peak charges stop applying. Don't know about other regions, but here, it is very simple: weekends are off-peak and each night from 23h till 6 in the morning. (22h-07h in winter time).

skyflyer

Jun 20, 2021
Slovenia
The problem is that off peak hours differ everywhere.
Sure! That's why there is a setting when off-peak ends. That way, the car know by what time it needs to finish charging and it knows how long the charging is going to take, so can calculate when to start. Start time will not respect "off-peak hour start", because if it did, it might not finish in time...

PianoAl

Dec 15, 2019
Far Northern California
I've configured scheduled departure (8:00) and off-peak charging (ends at 06:00) during weekdays (as electricity is cheap for the whole weekend). And I've just noticed, since it is Friday, that when I plugged it in, it started to charge immediately. It was working as expected on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

I believe this to be a bug. Or am I not understanding what weekdays mean?

Thanks!

I saw the same thing (starts charging immediately) even without any difference on weekends, but on this thread, someone clued me in that the car might immediately start charging just for a little while to estimate how long it will take.

• Informative
Reactions: skyflyer

skyflyer

Jun 20, 2021
Slovenia
I saw the same thing (starts charging immediately) even without any difference on weekends, but on this thread, someone clued me in that the car might immediately start charging just for a little while to estimate how long it will take.
That could be it (and I just happened to notice this first time on Friday (as it definitely didn't do that before that)). The car is only a week old, so... I'll keep an eye on the next Friday!

skyflyer

Jun 20, 2021
Slovenia
Well, it is Friday again and she started charging when I plugged her in. So definitely a bug. How does one report the bug like this (apart from speaking bug report to the car itself)?

Rusty1

Sep 13, 2017
Ooltewah, TN
I agree this software needs work.
I just want to use “scheduled departure” and it requires me to set off peak. I don’t have off peak rates.

If I set off peak time earlier than departure time, does if finish charging at off peak time or departure time?

Hangover

Jul 3, 2021
Maryland
Well, it is Friday again and she started charging when I plugged her in. So definitely a bug. How does one report the bug like this (apart from speaking bug report to the car itself)?
Not sure if it's working for you now, but I have same issue. All weekend is off peak and weekdays my off peak ends at 10AM.

I played around and found something which works for weekends. Even though weekend is off peak, in scheduled depart that every day off peak ends at 10 AM. This will prevent the car to charge during morning time like weekdays but atleast, I can make it work around the bug. Now the car says scheduled to depart at 9 AM. Which is my departure time.

Hangover

Jul 3, 2021
Maryland
I agree this software needs work.
I just want to use “scheduled departure” and it requires me to set off peak. I don’t have off peak rates.

If I set off peak time earlier than departure time, does if finish charging at off peak time or departure time?
It tries to complete at off peak is what I understand. Even if you don't have off peak, Tesla manual recommends to use off peak settings for better functionality and lower costs.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC