Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled departure with off-peak charging during weekdays on Friday

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've configured scheduled departure (8:00) and off-peak charging (ends at 06:00) during weekdays (as electricity is cheap for the whole weekend). And I've just noticed, since it is Friday, that when I plugged it in, it started to charge immediately. It was working as expected on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

I believe this to be a bug. Or am I not understanding what weekdays mean?

Thanks!

Reactions: Spinkick
Our cars can “self drive” but can’t tell what day it is or the time?
Well, I don't know about that. I mean it works Mon-Thu just fine ;)

Honestly, a bit of an explanation in the manual would help, and the manual is outdated as anyhow (/wrt off-peak charging). But it makes sense to only have a time by which the off-peak charges stop applying. Don't know about other regions, but here, it is very simple: weekends are off-peak and each night from 23h till 6 in the morning. (22h-07h in winter time).

I've configured scheduled departure (8:00) and off-peak charging (ends at 06:00) during weekdays (as electricity is cheap for the whole weekend). And I've just noticed, since it is Friday, that when I plugged it in, it started to charge immediately. It was working as expected on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

Thanks!

I saw the same thing (starts charging immediately) even without any difference on weekends, but on this thread, someone clued me in that the car might immediately start charging just for a little while to estimate how long it will take.

• Informative
Reactions: skyflyer
I saw the same thing (starts charging immediately) even without any difference on weekends, but on this thread, someone clued me in that the car might immediately start charging just for a little while to estimate how long it will take.
That could be it (and I just happened to notice this first time on Friday (as it definitely didn't do that before that)). The car is only a week old, so... I'll keep an eye on the next Friday!

I agree this software needs work.
I just want to use “scheduled departure” and it requires me to set off peak. I don’t have off peak rates.

If I set off peak time earlier than departure time, does if finish charging at off peak time or departure time?

Well, it is Friday again and she started charging when I plugged her in. So definitely a bug. How does one report the bug like this (apart from speaking bug report to the car itself)?
Not sure if it's working for you now, but I have same issue. All weekend is off peak and weekdays my off peak ends at 10AM.

I played around and found something which works for weekends. Even though weekend is off peak, in scheduled depart that every day off peak ends at 10 AM. This will prevent the car to charge during morning time like weekdays but atleast, I can make it work around the bug. Now the car says scheduled to depart at 9 AM. Which is my departure time.

I agree this software needs work.
I just want to use “scheduled departure” and it requires me to set off peak. I don’t have off peak rates.

If I set off peak time earlier than departure time, does if finish charging at off peak time or departure time?
It tries to complete at off peak is what I understand. Even if you don't have off peak, Tesla manual recommends to use off peak settings for better functionality and lower costs.

Thanks!
Same issue here. Very frustrating.

Hi Guys,
I've had the same problems as above. The problem is that the car & App charging schedules don't have multiple start & finish settings for weekends and week days. The only way to get exactly what you want is to install a time clock RCD on your Smart Switchboard charger circuit. You can then set the circuit to be "live" to your particular off peak times. Then you can forget about the App & Car charging settings.
If for some reason you then want extra charging at full charge rates, just temporarily adjust the time settings on the circuit time clock. This way you can have any combination you want whenever you want.
Hope this helps.

This has bugged me for 2 years. Still no fix. Every Friday the car charges immediately. It's as if weekdays setting does not include Fridays???

Could you install before you plug, a relay with a timer, so you could manage start time and end time for each day of the week.

This is what I use, but my case is different because I want to charge during the day and only when I have excess of solar energy.