Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled departure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering if others use this feature with satisfactory results? I have been trying to use it in conjunction with the instructions of the online owners manual under my tesla login details, but getting odd results.

I have a MIC SR+, with Victoria's temps I am finding the Regenerative braking considerably better from start straight after charging, or preconditioned. At the moment I am using the 10amp UMC, so preconditioning the car/battery will take away some battery % so I am finding it best to complete charging right before departure until I get the 32amp plug installed.

Whenever I schedule a departure, the car would be conditioned (battery and cabin) at the scheduled time, but the charging would simply start the moment the car was plugged in. I tried this from various SOC as I'm using the slow UMC and thought perhaps it needed that length of time to complete the charge, but to no avail. Regardless of charge state, it would begin charging immediately.

I happen to be looking for something else in the owner manual and was in the car, so used the onboard one and it has a note at the bottom (not found in the online manual) indicating they recommend you set the off peak tariff to end the same at the scheduled departure?? I have since tried this and it appears to do as the scheduled departure is intended but I am wondering why we need to intervene with the off peak charging just to use the scheduled departure function?

I happen to be looking for something else in the owner manual and was in the car, so used the onboard one and it has a note at the bottom (not found in the online manual) indicating they recommend you set the off peak tariff to end the same at the scheduled departure?? I have since tried this and it appears to do as the scheduled departure is intended but I am wondering why we need to intervene with the off peak charging just to use the scheduled departure function?
It's because it works like this:

"Scheduled Departure" controls the time the car aims to have preconditioning of the cabin and battery ready for. Without an off-peak time, it considers all times equally good for charging, so it'll start as soon as you're plugged in.

"Off-peak" charging aims to have the charging complete by the end of the off-peak period or the departure time, whichever is sooner. It starts as late as possible (with some buffer time) in order to get as much charging done in the off-peak period as possible.

So, if you want to charge at the end of the night, set the off-peak end time to 7am or similar and make sure the scheduled departure time is that time or later.