Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled pre conditioning needs work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mr H

Jan 6, 2020
Manchester
I set my car to pre condition and be ready to go at 6.30am, it wasn’t plugged in.

The car woke up at midnight exactly and stayed awake all the way through. I’m not sure when the pre conditioning actually started ( maybe I’ve missed the info) but it cost 11 miles of range.

I won’t be using that again until it’s sorted, I’ll go back to the old way of turning on the climate when my alarm clock goes off.

I set my car to pre condition and be ready to go at 6.30am, it wasn’t plugged in.

The car woke up at midnight exactly and stayed awake all the way through. I’m not sure when the pre conditioning actually started ( maybe I’ve missed the info) but it cost 11 miles of range.

I won’t be using that again until it’s sorted, I’ll go back to the old way of turning on the climate when my alarm clock goes off.
I’m with you. I did it plugged in once. It started charging and warming at least a couple of hours before departure time. Presumably to warm the battery above all else. For my short trip it’s pointless.

Reactions: adsheff
but it cost 11 miles of range.
11 miles of "real" range? How much range would be lost on your journey because the battery was not at optimal temp? A question impossible to answer I know because all sorts of variables like journey length, ambient temperature come into play.

I think it's entirely possible to disappear up one's own wazoo with this stuff. With the exception of someone like TeslaBjorn who is specifically looking to min/max various elements of the car/battery performance for the purposes of testing, the way I would approach preconditioning is to go with the flow and do whatever feels right. If your journey is 4 miles then it's probably not worth it. If you have a mid-long journey it probably is.

11 miles of "real" range? How much range would be lost on your journey because the battery was not at optimal temp? A question impossible to answer I know because all sorts of variables like journey length, ambient temperature come into play.

I think it's entirely possible to disappear up one's own wazoo with this stuff. With the exception of someone like TeslaBjorn who is specifically looking to min/max various elements of the car/battery performance for the purposes of testing, the way I would approach preconditioning is to go with the flow and do whatever feels right. If your journey is 4 miles then it's probably not worth it. If you have a mid-long journey it probably is.
The point here is that the car woke at midnight and stayed that way, my range is irrelevant with an 8 mile commute

Reactions: adsheff
I've had this before - some weird behaviour. I'd be happy with an option that just starts the cabin heater 10 minutes before you get in. What would be good is if you could set your destination the day before (via the app!) so that the car knew if you were setting off on a long trip vs short trip.

Accidently left the heating on for 4 hours the other day. Car was outside it was 3 degree C. I was alarmed that it lost about 24% off the battery, this is on a LR one.

TeslaFi with scheduled actions is your friend here. You can set the HVAC to be on with a specific temperature and switch it off again at a schedule for each day. So you could easily pre-warm the car for 5 mins prior to your planned departure without using the planned departure planning in the car.

I personally have only bothered with it to defrost the car when it was -5 and the car was completely covered in ice recently. On small trips the power used for pre-conditioning compared to the benefit of better regen braking is not worth it.

The point here is that the car woke at midnight and stayed that way, my range is irrelevant with an 8 mile commute
You might find that is partly a bug that stops the car from sleeping, so you are victim of that. Although the whole preconditioning and scheduled departure and charging thing seems to have had scant time or effort spent on it.

If only they applied as much effort as they do to farting and games!

Reactions: Yachtsman
I've had similar problems but with scheduled charging (using it with an app to optimise cheap-rate overnight charging.) I've had to switch off scheduled charging/departure to stop it preconditioning at silly hours of the morning. It's definitely buggy since the changes.

You might find that is partly a bug that stops the car from sleeping, so you are victim of that. Although the whole preconditioning and scheduled departure and charging thing seems to have had scant time or effort spent on it.

If only they applied as much effort as they do to farting and games!
You’re probably right although it didn’t wake up the previous few nights. It’s been parked at work since 7am on Monday asleep and today it woke up for about 3 hrs. Must be Elon reading bedtime stories....

TeslaFi with scheduled actions is your friend here. You can set the HVAC to be on with a specific temperature and switch it off again at a schedule for each day. So you could easily pre-warm the car for 5 mins prior to your planned departure without using the planned departure planning in the car.

I personally have only bothered with it to defrost the car when it was -5 and the car was completely covered in ice recently. On small trips the power used for pre-conditioning compared to the benefit of better regen braking is not worth it.
I’ll give that a go thanks. I’ve only had TeslaFi for 2 weeks