TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Scheduled preconditioning?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Carl, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Carl

Carl Supporting Member

Is there an app available which would do scheduled preconditioning, e.g. tell the car to turn HVAC on at 7:00 am on weekdays?

I think VisibleTesla used to do that, but not sure it still works/is still supported/has security issues. As to Tesla's smart preconditioning, that never worked well for me; I would prefer something a lot more "stupid" that I can manage myself!

2. Carl

Carl Supporting Member

Does anyone use the "CTRL Tesla" app? Seems to be the only one capable of this, but in the Dutch-Belgium subforum some have raised safety concerns about this app. Would be good to read if anyone is using it today, and if it does its job of scheduled heating/cooling.

3. JHWJR

JHWJR Member

There is a setting to invoice "smart preconditioning" in the main screen under, perhaps, "driving." Not as precise as you are probably looking for, but the car is supposed to learn your habits and anticipate this.

4. Carl

Carl Supporting Member

True but 'smart' preconditioning doesn't work very well in my experience, which is why I was looking for 'stupid' preconditioning.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  5. rpm001

rpm001 Member

The built-in one doesn't work at all for me as best I can tell. I've found that when I'm packing up my office to leave for the day I'll put on the climate control. But as far as I can tell since I've owned the car it has never actually done this automatically.

6. KidDoc

KidDoc Supporting Member

I use "Dashboard for Tesla" which is an android app. It allows you to set up whatever schedule you want once you buy it. I have it set to precondition for my typical drive times. Works great.

• Informative x 1
  7. scottm

scottm Active Member

sorry... I wish

Tesla's "smart preconditioning" is snake oil and a waste of screen space... best I can tell is a do nothing button. I tried, but it does stupid things.. acts when I don't want it. So, "OFF" and never since.

I'd settle for manual dumb preconditioning, if they offered it.

Tesla app / console should be offering dumb preconditioning feature, like other electric cars do... but Tesla is not as good, sadly. Been waiting for years for things like scheduled charge... dot dot dot ... many features needed. Tesla not competitive in this area. Falls on deaf ears.

And no... not giving my credentials to any random App or organization other than Tesla. I need to know who to blame if they're compromised.

8. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

I use teslafi.com for logging. It has also added scheduling. Yes, have to give them credentials to generate an API token or an API token directly. Token expires in 30 days.

• Informative x 1
  9. nigelboid

nigelboid Member

Carl,

If you have access to a computer with a scheduler and a python interpreter, I can write a script for you to do just that...

Cheers!