Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduling a start and end time for octopus go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the car start the charge (rather than controlling it from A.N.Other system), so that it will start "regardless" - if WiFi is down / whatever. The car will also start if I come home significantly later than the start time, another benefit.

I then stop it when my overnight cheap rate ends using 3rd party APP. In my case TeslaFi. I also have scheduled in TeslaFi to allow me to override that - e.g. if I need more charge than that because I'm going somewhere tomorrow morning (including increasing limit to 100%, if I need that for "tomorrow's journey") ... and that schedule also pre-conditions the car at a suitable interval before departure.

From the car directly you can't. The nearest you can do it set a start and estimate what %age you should get to within your time period.

There are alternatives

1. Most chargers have their own timing and are capable of both start and stop
2. Third party apps that can access your car can tell it to start and stop, e.g. EV.Energy, TeslaFi etc.

It's not possible without a smart charger that understands Time-of-Use tariff (Ohme, Zappi, Hypervolt, etc.). The car charges at a fairly predictable rate though so it's a minor convenience to set the maximum charge percentage that causes it to stop at roughly when the cheap tariff ends. You'll need to use the Scheduled Charging Time (not Scheduled Departure Time) for this.

It's not ideal and certainly could be improved fairly easily by Tesla, but the point of the Tesla is to make things simple, sometimes to the contrary of a few niche (but important) use-cases.

Without needing a smart charger or smart app controlling the car, you have to work it out yourself and set the Desired State of Charge in the car or from the app. You need to know two things:

1) How much % increase do you get per hour (it is 10% per hour on my M3LR)
2) What is the current State of Charge of the car

Given your desired charging window is 4 hours, you therefore know you are aiming to add 40% to the battery, so if the car is currently at 20%, set the desired state of charge to 60% and that will (roughly) complete in 4 hours. You leave scheduled start in the car at 00:30, and voila, you have a system.