Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheming the Most Affordable Way to Own an S For a While

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't afford a Tesla. But I really want a Tesla. I've been plotting options for years, and have an idea:

Buy a 2 year old used S and sell it a year later, eating the depreciation (≈$15K loss is relatively viable).

Notes: I'm moving out of the country in a year...and can buy for cash (avoiding financing).

Disadvantages:
1. Only get to own a Tesla for a year (but I'm moving anyway)
2. Buying used means no gov/tax subsidy
3. Limited selection of specific options (I'm not picky)
4. Probably won't recoup expense of adding house charging station when I sell
5. If I break anything it could add substantially to my ownership cost

Is there anything I'm not factoring in? Or a better way to do this?

I can't afford a Tesla. But I really want a Tesla.

If you can buy a 2 year old model S, you could buy a new model 3 or Y so, "i cant afford a tesla" isnt accurate. The lower the model you get, the less depreciation (in general, over simplified terms).

What you are ignoring is that you should buy a base level model 3 and drive it for a year, then sell it. Much (much much) less than 15k depreciation, more up to date software experience, etc, newer autopilot, etc. Just not the size or prestige of a model S.

Last edited:
Reactions: mdsco and Sandor
Due to current car market pricing, you would pay a premium on depreciation. A 2 year old MS would be the facelift version and it still costs quite a bit. I suspect the MSRP of a refresh would drop back down to around 80k in a year which would push down all prior MS pricing a bit.

The biggest killer would be sales tax on the purchase.

I recommend you just rent for a month or two at a time.

I can't afford a Tesla.
If you can't afford any Tesla then you probably shouldn't be shopping a model S. Even if its 2 years old there are cheaper options like the 3. Not sure stretching yourself is worth owning the car for 1 year if you're already planning to move. Just deal with your current situation and then get one when you can do it without over extending yourself.

Yeah, I see that the 3 is cheaper than the S and depreciates less.

Renting seems to cost ≈$150/day, $1000/week. Doesn't make sense to me.

Buying new won't work. First, that's where all the depreciation is. Second, waiting time is very long right now, doesn't work for my schedule.