Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Schizophrenic Spotify Podcasts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Krock65

Supporting Member
Nov 21, 2020
Ridgecrest, CA
Not sure if this is a general Spotify problem or specific to the podcast, but thought I'd see what you folks could tell me. I have an odd problem when listening to the Ride the Lightning podcast. I'll be listening to one of the latest episodes and get out of the car. When I come back, often it will start up by playing episode 1, or 53, or 127, or some other random one. I have to hunt for the episode in the 300's that I thought I was listening to. What gives? Or am I losing my mind? Thanks!

Are you also listening to them on another device, like your phone? If they are both linked to the same account, that may be causing the confusion, although I'm not sure why. Mine occasionally hiccups as I listen to a podcast on my iPhone when walking in the morning but music in my car - different devices, same account.

Are you also listening to them on another device, like your phone? If they are both linked to the same account, that may be causing the confusion, although I'm not sure why. Mine occasionally hiccups as I listen to a podcast on my iPhone when walking in the morning but music in my car - different devices, same account.

I switched to Spotify podcasts when I got the Tesla. It’s been happening since day 1, before I even had a chance to need Spotify music on my phone. Good idea though

Thanks for the thought. That’s not it, though. I didn’t use Spotify pre-MY, and still don’t use it anywhere else at the moment.

Same thing is happening with me I only listen to spitting chiclets (hockey podcast) but 8/10 times when I get back in the car it's starting a different random episode, if I click on the one I was listening it picks back up where it should but castbox has never done that before. I'm a Pandora guy trying to switch to Spotify but it's a little bit of a learning curve for me so far

Reactions: Krock65
This happens to me all the time. It seems as if it loses the currently streaming podcast even for a moment (such as when switching from WiFi to cellular when leaving my driveway), it will just choose another random podcast from the series.

how is this ever the correct thing to do?

Just got a Plaid, and I'm utterly shocked by how bad Spotify integration is. When I get into the car, anything that I'm playing on Spotify on my phone restarts from the very beginning. That doesn't even make sense. Either play what's on my phone exactly as it is on my phone (like a Bluetooth speaker would), or check Spotify for my current play status and start off there. Why just restart the song? In what world does that make sense?

Ever since my first Tesla in 2018 I've always wanted CarPlay, and I could not want it more right now. It's embarrassing that entry-level vehicles from almost half a decade ago have better music playback experiences than modern Teslas.

Just got a Plaid, and I'm utterly shocked by how bad Spotify integration is. When I get into the car, anything that I'm playing on Spotify on my phone restarts from the very beginning. That doesn't even make sense. Either play what's on my phone exactly as it is on my phone (like a Bluetooth speaker would), or check Spotify for my current play status and start off there. Why just restart the song? In what world does that make sense?

Ever since my first Tesla in 2018 I've always wanted CarPlay, and I could not want it more right now. It's embarrassing that entry-level vehicles from almost half a decade ago have better music playback experiences than modern Teslas.
And what's worse, if for some reason there is a hiccup streaming the podcast, the spotify app appears to pick another episode, seemingly at random, and starts playing that one. How is that EVER the correct behavior in the event of a network error?