Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Schneider takes delivery of 92 Freightliner eCascadia trucks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One million miles logged in the customer test fleet in December '21. If you take the blinders off there is a lot of detail out there on how a real semi OEM operates.

šŸ˜‚ so why canā€™t they make a better machine? A real OEM lol They canā€™t even make their own powertrains.

We need millions of Semis. It's good everyone is helping.

Most Semis don't need sleepers + team driving + 1500 miles a day with two 30 minute stops. Let's replace the easy ones first.

The Tesla Semi already can do 1500 miles a day with two drivers and three 30 minute stops - if it has a V4 charging station, which doesn't exist at this time where it's needed (and due to lack of sleeper cabin at this time, the second driver needs to wait at just the right spot or sleep on the floor behind the driver... not going to happen)

3 years from now we have the charging stations and a lot more EV Semis. Tesla will have made 100k of them, and it's still not enough. I hope Freighliner makes another 100k

Good times :)

Last edited:
Reactions: MP3Mike
We need millions of Semis. It's good everyone is helping.

Most Semis don't need sleepers + team driving + 1500 miles a day with two 30 minute stops. Let's replace the easy ones first.

The Tesla Semi already can do 1500 miles a day with two drivers and three 30 minute stops - if it has a V4 charging station, which doesn't exist at this time where it's needed (and due to lack of sleeper cabin at this time, the second driver needs to wait at just the right spot or sleep on the floor behind the driver... not going to happen)

3 years from now we have the charging stations and a lot more EV Semis. Tesla will have made 100k of them, and it's still not enough. I hope Freighliner makes another 100k

Good times :)
Correct, the importance of semi trucks is not going anywhere.

However I'm not sure the Tesla Semi will be at 100k units 3 years from now. Maybe in 5 years.

Curious what creates your certainty here?
Your numbers of 100k in 5 years indicates they only do about half of that. What do you think will be the main bottlenecks?
They still don't really have anywhere to produce them. I know they have a pilot line inside of the Nevada factory but that isn't enough.

To give you a frame of reference the big North American OEMs (Daimler, Navistar, Paccar) are producing over 100k class 8 trucks a year, but that is with multiple manufacturing locations and thousands and thousands of employees. One of the manufacturers I did some consulting with employed 6,000 people in one of their 5 manufacturing facilities in North America. The location with 6,000 employees produces over 300 semis per day or 1,800 a week. I'd say by middle of 2023 Tesla will still be producing less than 25 units per day.

Not many. Those items are assembled in other locations and then it's a pretty quick install on the line.
Then that seems very inefficient. Tesla produces ~600k vehicles a year with less than 10k employees at the Fremont plant, don't they? Similar in Shanghai.

I'm sure part of what will make Tesla more efficient is that they will only be making one design, with maybe two different pack sizes. Where I'm sure the plants you were talking about make 100s of variants.

• Funny
Reactions: Alset Srotom
Yes, staffing will be difficult. Especially as they are ramping up the Cybertruck at the same time.

Semi AND Cybertruck ramp up at the same time may be the big challenges for Giga Austin in 2023. Maybe that's why they are bringing people with expertise from Shanghai over.

Tesla is building cars faster and with less staff than any other OEM. More robots, but mostly way fewer parts, and specifically designed for ease of manufacturing. IIRC it takes 10h for a MY, vs 30h for the quickest VW made in Germany.

A Semi is more complicated, but the same principles apply.

That Semi basically doesn't have a cab. All the buttons, and beds, second seat, and 110V and USB ports, and lights, and displays, and gear shifter, and all that stuff in a Sleeper Cabin is not needed for a day use Semi. And it's not just fewer buttons, it's larger castings. Much of the parts of the Semi are shared with the rest of the fleet (heat pumps, inverters, etc., motors (either same, or similar), etc.), and all are already heavily optimized.

And all 50k Semis will be the same. You take it or you leave it. No variation on the manufacturing line. They will all be white, as people wrap them afterwards if they want logos.

Most cars have multiple heat circuits (AC, cabin heater, engine/motor coolant, and for EV battery heat management) Tesla have one octavalve, and minimal pipes. Maybe they need two octavalves for reliability and capacity?

Giga Austin is hiring like crazy, some numbers mention they plan to go to 20,000. They can pull in trained people from the MY lines, and backfill there. It's not their first fabrication line they are building.

Then that seems very inefficient. Tesla produces ~600k vehicles a year with less than 10k employees at the Fremont plant, don't they? Similar in Shanghai.

I'm sure part of what will make Tesla more efficient is that they will only be making one design, with maybe two different pack sizes. Where I'm sure the plants you were talking about make 100s of variants.
It's a semi truck man, much more complex than a car. That particular location is considered world class and tons of manufacturers send their folks for benchmarking visits.

Semi manufacturing is not easy, hence why there are about a dozen Tesla Semis in existence right now.

Oh by they way...if you think the Tesla snobs who reject their cars for basically nothing are bad...wait until we start getting the warranty claim data on the Tesla Semi. Commercial customers DO NOT let any blemish slide. Never really made sense to me since their drivers beat the sh*t out of their trucks anyways, but they notice the smallest thing and they submit a warranty claim.

This from 2 yrs ago. Volvo's largest Truck manufacturing plant produced 42,000 trucks/yr.
This is a great video! Just spent over an hour watching and re-watching it. Thanks for sharing.

Notes below. Overall, this factory is significantly different from anything Tesla would build. It's "Custom mass production operation" and I doubt Tesla will ever start doing that.

It's also only assembly. Everything is shipped in highly assembled (cabs, engines, transmissions). Tesla casts parts on site.

"200 trucks a day, each one unique, built to customer specification". They keep repeating the "each unique" all the time. "no two cabs are the same"

This is the difference right there. Not just colors, but different engines, and 2 to 4 axles. 2 sizes of cabs, 650 color options! 420-750HP. 550+ tire thread patters and 100 types of rims. Microwaves, fridges. Different diesels tanks (not clear how many)

They have a huge "market adaption center for the seemingly infinite customization and special requests". That is after all the options above. If parts of the vehicle are desired in different colors. They may repaint a cab completely. This may be necessary because they are so customized. If you only sell one model, and the color is not what the customer wants, just give it to someone else. And if a customer wants something in pink, send them to a wrapping shop, or even a paint store. Volvo's motto is "anything is possible"

Any one working in that building is not needed at Giga Austin.

"logistics is important", especially if each truck is unique, and has so many parts. I agree that a Gigafactory can handle that.

E.g. they have to carefully sort the painted cabs in the parking lot because they come in the wrong order. In a Gigafactory, they just come down the line. Volvo has only 40 cabs on site, if they run out, they will miss customer delivery deadlines. Then they still have a large cab assembly building (after they get cabs shipped?).

Tesla just makes one 1000hp truck, that works for the whole range of required HP (and beyond). Much simpler. The motors are much lighter, too. Can just be dropped in. Volvo has to assemble huge engines, transmissions, alternators, then assemble that into the chassis. That step alone takes a while. I-Shift has two drive shafts, two clutches. So much complexity needed, even compared to the Tesla Semi setup with three motors and the auto clutch.

Ans the number of parts. 50 different bolts just for the basic frame assembly. 1000 cable ties per truck. 1500 individual parts installed in 210 operations over 8 hours. And this is the main final assembly, where the stuff comes already assembled.

For the air compressor, a different combination of air hoses is required for each model, and a machine has to cut the right combination of those is important. No two fixes are the same. The complexity, and training required for this is crazy.

It will be interesting to see how fast they re-tool this to EV manufacturing.

"this steps could be carried out differently in the future" - They are working at the "production operation of tomorrow". Using AR/VR. Not simpler manufacturing, or fewer parts. Just better training of humans. And exo-skeletons to lighten the load on workers (29 min in). Reduces the weight by 27kg, but doesn't make him faster. Just better for the health. This is just fighting symptoms, instead of the root cause.

One person even admits that they cannot deploy robots because they have too much customization.

What they are missing is a guy at the top who ask "why are we doing it this complicated way"

Mats, wall panels, loud speakers, all fitted by hand. Especially important the bed (two sizes). Some customer request two foldaway bunks. Tesla will not do any of this for years. 100 different switches and plugs for the instrument cluster. A Tesla probably has 10. Volvo not only assembles each one, but then has to check each one, too. It takes 5.5 hours to assemble a cab. Some trucks have microwaves. Nice to have, but stuff like this makes manufacturing extremely expensive.

The wind shield is installed by a robot. It's the first robot we see. The robot costs 2.5M Euros. "Important this task is performed by the robot, we need absolute precision". Tire mounting is also done by robots.

Also, they replace an invisible crack in a blinker cover. Tesla wouldn't do that :) But after that audit, the guy drives the truck on a public road for 50km. What's the chance of getting another micro damage to the truck right there?

Chassis is 1800kg. Engine 2000kg, Cab 1300kg

It reminds me of my tour of the Toyota plant in Japan. They were so proud about the customization, and the many vehicles they can make there on a single line. And it was crowded, compared to Tesla Fremont, which is probably crowded compared to Austin or Berlin.

Reactions: Rocky_H and MP3Mike