TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

School me on "Performance Seats" please

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by bareyb, Sep 5, 2013.

1. bareyb

bareyb Active Member

#1 bareyb, Sep 5, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
    What the deal with the cloth inserts? Are those high wear areas or do they do that for other reasons?

2. lloyds

lloyds Member

It's really personal preference here.

3. bareyb

bareyb Active Member

Do you happen to know what purpose the cloth inserts serve? I know in my Vette, the Bolsters on the seats got trashed very quickly, I'm wondering if the inserts are for high stress areas to protect the leather or do they serve some other purpose?

4. Argelius

Argelius Member

I think those swede inserts are supposed to keep you in the seat when you are taking tight curves. Silly idea, really.

I like the contrasting piping of the performance seats, but those little inserts (especially in gray and tan) look like they'd get dirty really, really fast...

5. SwedishAdvocate

SwedishAdvocate Active Member

Aren’t those inserts Alcantara (which in turn basically is 68% polyester and 32% polyurethane as I understand it…)?

6. bareyb

bareyb Active Member

My wife and I are going to take a ride out to the Dealership today and give them a look in person. I'm curious if the Gray accent matches the Gray Paint. If they look like dirt magnets, then I'm probably out.

7. SwedishAdvocate

SwedishAdvocate Active Member

Why not start a different thread on that subject? I’m sure a lot of people on the forum have the grey performance seats. I’m guessing they might be able to give you some feedback. Include that you’re thinking about buying a car in the thread title, and I have a feeling people will answer it.

8. texex91

texex91 Banned

I ordered P85+--passed on sport seats. The Alcantara gets extremely dirty. The demo unit I drove had them, and it was pretty sad how flithy it was. I personally don't like the look or feel of Alcantara.

9. bareyb

bareyb Active Member

Looks like we are going to save a Grand on the Performance Seats and use it to put towards upgrading the Battery to an 85. We saw them in person today and I think I'm fine with the standard seats. Especially if it means an upgrade to the 85. My wife suddenly felt like we needed the greater range (and I wouldn't mind having a little bit better 0 to 60 time). So in order to keep the peace, I guess I'll need to get the bigger Battery. Darn... :D :D :D

10. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

My P85 has grey seats with the Alcantara. The Alcantara still looks new after 6 months with the car. The leather has had some blue dye transfer from wearing jeans on a hot day, but that wiped off with a damp cloth. Never had to do any cleaning to the Alcantara.

11. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

No such thing....

12. bareyb

bareyb Active Member

I got it! It won't happen again! :D

13. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

The P85+ has the inserts (black and black so it fits in) while my wife's S85 does not. I do not feel the cloth "holds" me in the seat any better and I prefer the esthetic and feel of my wife's 100% leather seats if this is of any help.

14. bareyb

bareyb Active Member

That does help thanks. I think I've decided to just go with the standard seats and put the thousand bucks towards the bigger battery. :)