Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

School me on PowerWall incentives for CA (PG&E)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am trying to understand the current incentives that I can count on if I bite the bullet and buy the quoted Tesla PowerWall (2 walls).

1. What exactly should I count on receiving as incentive when I purchase. What Federal, State (California) and Utility (PG&E) incentive are available (and will be available if I order tomorrow)?

2. Are there any ongoing incentives that will help offset the costs?

My Info:
  • I live on the central coast .in CA
  • PG&E is my electric provider
  • I own and charge my Tesla at home
  • I have a solar system which provides about 60% coverage of electrical costs
Thank you so much in advance!

I am trying to understand the current incentives that I can count on if I bite the bullet and buy the quoted Tesla PowerWall (2 walls).

1. What exactly should I count on receiving as incentive when I purchase. What Federal, State (California) and Utility (PG&E) incentive are available (and will be available if I order tomorrow)?

2. Are there any ongoing incentives that will help offset the costs?

My Info:
  • I live on the central coast .in CA
  • PG&E is my electric provider
  • I own and charge my Tesla at home
  • I have a solar system which provides about 60% coverage of electrical costs
Thank you so much in advance!

Tesla has a good FAQ regarding this topic.

You can count on the 30% Federal Tax Credit if you install by the end of they year. No CA State program is available as Tesla is fully subscribed for SGIP. Although the program still available to Tesla Certified Installers, unfortunately they mark up the cost so that they effective get the SGIP credit.

If you get Powerwalls, you can also join a demand response program such as Ohm Connect and make money to help offset the cost of your installation. Note, link includes a referral link.

In general, it is hard to make a good Return of Investment (ROI) on a battery backup system. It depends greatly if the batteries (with your solar production) will offset a good deal of your peak usage. Not many people consider the backup portion of the Powerwall which would help in the ROI calculations. A similar diesel backup system will cost a couple thousand dollars (installation, maintenance, and fuel).

It is especially harder to get a good ROI now that EV customers will be transitions to the EV2-A rate schedule. Assuming you are on the older EV-A rate schedule, the transition to the new rate will depend on your grandfather status as noted in the new EV-A Tariff.

Side Note: Just in case you may not know, EVs & PHEVs you currently own (despite age) can qualify for a $800 PG&E Clean Fuel rebate. I was able to use it under the older $500 amount for our Tesla and older 2014 PHEV we still have.

Last edited: