Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Schwarzenegger Wants to Terminate His Tesla Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Schwarzenegger Wants to Terminate His Tesla Roadster

Two sources close to the company say Schwarzenegger aides have been talking to Tesla since at least the fall about returning the Governator's Roadster. Given the company's financial troubles, Tesla executives asked them to hold off, fearing bad publicity.

So why doesn't Schwarzenegger like the Roadster? Built on a Lotus Elise body, the car is not easy to get in and out of, especially for someone with the former bodybuilder's robust frame. "He's more of a Hummer guy," one tipster tells us.

I wasn't going to post this because it is just more Gawker BS. Notice at least one other site picked it up.

As Kevin said, it was for his wife.

Does Arnie need the money? Does he want the embarrassment given his high profile courting of the company?

I'd like to know who in Detroit pays gawker and their spinoffs to write this stuff, particularly given the timing...

I'll reopen this thread since closing it may have been a bit heavy handed.

Governor to talk green to Detroit engineers - SFGate.com

The owner of several gas-gulping Hummers, the governor recently has turned his attention to a green set of wheels when he was among the first in line for the all-electric $109,000 Roadster by Tesla Motors Inc. But the Roadster has been returned.

There have been reports that the two-seater may have been too cramped for the governor's 6-foot, 1-inch frame, making it difficult for him to get in and out of the vehicle.

A Schwarzenegger spokesman confirmed that the Roadster has been returned (without explanation) and said the governor will replace it with Tesla's $57,400 Model S electric sedan, which won't be ready until the end of 2011.

Yeah, doesn't exactly make sense to me. But here's a reputable source (SF Chronicle) that says he returned it, for whatever reason. Wonder "returned it" means. Did he get a refund? Anyhow maybe Tesla can resell it at a premium. "Formerly owned by the Governator."

Maybe she's a soccer mom and needs more space, but they want to run fewer cars.

I find it hard to call Maria Schriver a "soccer mom", however many children she might have (4), or whatever her schedule.

Is it possible that being Governator puts a crimp in their finances?

Is it possible that neither of them gets to drive it? It's hard to fit an entourage into a Roadster. However some on this forum hate them, a Hummer has more room. Sometimes a giant SUV does make sense.

Last edited:
With him it's more about width than height. Even for regular folk it's a shoulder rubbing experience in the Roadster.

If the story is true I wish he just would have kept it for a few years and sold a coupla' Hummers.

He's no 6'1" by the way.

He's no 6'1" by the way.

I had this argument with the EVcast guys back when this exciting story "broke." Bo made the comment that Arnold was at least 6-4. It is VERY important to Arnie to be percieved as larger than life. There are websites dedicated to "actual" heights of celebs, and even they don't agree. I just know for a fact that he stands on a hiddle platform behind podiums when he speaks, and appears to wear lifts in his shoes. I'm about 5-11" and I've met Arnie in person a few times. He is no taller than I am. Bigger, hell yes. Taller, no.