Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sci-Fi Faves...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In Extant the heroine drives an i3 the crazy conspiracy believing guy(who is probably right) that lives in trailer down by the river(well the coast line) drives an old Prius and EVERYONE ELSE drives a Tesla including the bad guys.

Extant gets average ratings but appears to have much higher than average production cost including Ms Berry's salary.

That spells cancellation regardless of genre.

Edit: The father of Ms Berry's character drives an unbranded full sized pickup with upright solar panels on the hood.

Shame because there are so few SciFi shows out there these days.

Shame because there are so few SciFi shows out there these days.

SciFi shows I am watching in addition to Extant.

Spring Season

Continuum

Summer Season

Defiance
Falling Skies

Fall Season

The 100

SciFi shows that I will at least watch the pilot.

SyFy Fall 2014

"Ascension"-- tells the story about a spaceship of 600 people that’s launched on a covert mission by the Kennedy Administration in 1963, in hopes of reaching a new world.

SyFy Winter/Spring 2015

"Pax Romana" -- Based on Jonathan Hickman's graphic novel, "Pax Romana" follows a Special Forces team back in time to ancient Rome. The future soldiers are trying to alter history in order to avoid World War III by battling the Roman legions.

"Ronin" -- after a Japanese Ronin samurai failed to save his master from a demon, he awakens in a futuristic New York in the body of medical experiment Billy. The demon has also been reawakened, so the Ronin has to fight for control of a magical sword to save it from the forces of evil. This is based on Frank Miller's comic book series. Leans Fantasy but still qualifies as SciFi.

"Letter 44" -- Another graphic novel adaptation, newly elected President Stephen Blades receives a letter from his predecessor, revealing a mission to the asteroid belt to investigate a secret alien construction project.

"Killjoys" -- follows a trio of fun-loving interplanetary bounty hunters who chase down deadly warrants in a system on the brink of a bloody and interplanetary class war.

What? No Doctor Who? If you don't get BBC America, you should totally call and have it added to your TV.

I am pretty sure there are some other shows that likely count in the SciFi realm, but I think you hit most of them... Now, list "cop drama" or "hospital drama" and it will make you sad. SciFi which always had its own place in the movie store seems to have really fallen off the radar in general. Now we have to distinguish between multiple Dramas of the exact same thing...

What? No Doctor Who?

I like watching TV series from the beginning. I hate to pickup series in the middle.

Doctor Who started before I started watching TV.

SciFi which always had its own place in the movie store seems to have really fallen off the radar in general.

SciFi has been largely replaced by Fantasy werewolves vampires Teen Paranormal Romance sub-genre. :wink:

I like watching TV series from the beginning. I hate to pickup series in the middle.

Doctor Who started before I started watching TV.

SciFi has been largely replaced by Fantasy werewolves vampires Teen Paranormal Romance sub-genre. :wink:

Just go start with the 2005 stuff. For one, you can't actually start fully from the beginning, because many early episodes just don't exist in their original form (they are missing over 100 of them still). But for two, they do a really great job of telling you all the relevant information as if you had never watched anything from pre-2005. Most anything that is "unexplained" that would have you asking questions is intentionally mysterious since that is part of the show... I mean... hence the name "Doctor Who"... I mean, noone even knows the guy's name! 50 years, and noone knows his name. So yeah, I would seriously marathon starting in 2005 (Netflix is your friend), you will not be disappointed.

And to your second point/observation... That just made me a bit sad... because I realized how true it is.... :(

Not Netflix. Vudu...

Why? Unless you wanted to own it? In which case I would likely just use Amazon (I believe their pricing is similar plus I already have a prime account for other purposes). Purchasing just one season is anywhere from 14$ to 21$ (depending on quality). Why not just get a netflix subscription? Even if you only get through one season a month, you are getting almost 50% saving (8$ vs 14$+). Again... unless you want to own it. I see owning a digital copy a waste of money, but that's just me.

Anyway, way off topic at this point, haha!

I have tried to find something new regarding Tesla and tv/film to get this thread back on track but can't find anything. :wink:

Anyways SyFy has optioned John Scalzi's Old Man War series of books for TV.

Syfy Adapting Futuristic Military Drama 'Ghost Brigades' (Exclusive) - Hollywood Reporter

SyFy has really increased the number actual scripted Sci-Fi shows on the channel instead of wrestling/reality/competition shows.

It looks like they want a Battle Star Galactica gritty type series.(The SyFy version not the cheezy ABC 80's version.)

These are really fantastic books. Only one, Zoe's Tale, was written for teenagers because the publisher wanted to sell a collection of SciFi-Fantasy books to high school libraries. So that one is basically a stand alone story taking place during the same time period as the third book in the series.

BTW Maybe we should start an Sci-Fi thread in the Off Topic section?

Last edited:
I have tried to find something new regarding Tesla and tv/film to get this thread back on track but can't find anything. :wink:

Anyways SyFy has optioned John Scalzi's Old Man War series of books for TV.

Syfy Adapting Futuristic Military Drama 'Ghost Brigades' (Exclusive) - Hollywood Reporter

SyFy has really increased the number actual scripted Sci-Fi shows on the channel instead of wrestling/reality/competition shows.

It looks like they want a Battle Star Galactica gritty type series.(The SyFy version not the cheezy ABC 80's version.)

These are really fantastic books. Only one, Zoe's Tale, was written for teenagers because the publisher wanted to sell a collection of SciFi-Fantasy books to high school libraries. So that one is basically a stand alone story taking place during the same time period as the third book in the series.

Wouldn't Under The Dome be considered Sci-Fi, now that I think about it? Hrmmm... goes and looks it up... ah yes, classified as Sci-Fi. There, go watch that! It is actually quite good. It purposefully deviates from the book in big ways, and as one of the few books I have actually read, I actually like the deviation. I suggest you give it a go as well :)

Maybe my complaint is that there aren't any Star Trek, Stargate, Battlestar Gallactica type shows out there, and that is what I really want more than anything. The closest I get is Doctor Who, but that get's its own special category. Maybe I just really want them to bring back/make a spin off of those shows so bad that nothing seems to suffice. But there really are too many cop and hospital dramas out there... let's be honest.

d7d8_doctor_who_new_sonic_screwdriver_inhand.jpg

Wouldn't Under The Dome be considered Sci-Fi, now that I think about it? Hrmmm... goes and looks it up... ah yes, classified as Sci-Fi.

Some people qualify Lost as Sci-Fi. What is the radically advanced science that is central to Under the Dome? Appears more Fantasy than Sci-Fi. I guess if the egg thing and the dome come from an advanced alien civilization and not some supernatural phenomenon. That would put it just within the definition of Sci-Fi. But kind of weak Sci-Fi.

Maybe my complaint is that there aren't any Star Trek, Stargate, Battlestar Gallactica type shows

Space Operas are the Sub-Genre you are talking about. SyFy may remedy the situation soon. Like Ghost Brigades.

Old Man's War is technically Military Sci-Fi but my strong guess is that the TV show will be more Space Opera.

The Military Sci-Fi sub-genre is way too small to be a successful TV show. Even on basic cable.

Last edited:
The Old Man's War series is excellent. I would like to see a movie or series about David Weber's Honor Harrington series!

I've been waiting for that one as well.

Other enjoyable military sf series:

The Lost Fleet series by Jack Campbell
Troy Rising series by John Ringo
Looking Glass series also by John Ringo
Space Carrier series by Ian Douglas
Odyssey One series by Evan Currie

If you like Weber then you'll probably like any of those as well.

Surprised that FireFly has not been mentioned. Loved that show. Had a huge fan base.

I started watching the new Dr Who (when David Tenant was the doctor ) , and then went back and watched most of the old ones.
Saw the Dr Who 50th anniversary special which was great.

The discussion started on a tangent from the "Model S in movies and tv shows" thread.

It did not start as " Sci-Fi Faves"... Mods moved it hear and gave it that title.

Yes, Firefly was a fantastic show that Fox really screwed over.

They started by airing episode 3 first. And jumbled the shows from there on out.

Fox felt the series was starting too slow and wanted action right away.

Action means nothing if you don't care about the characters and what happens to them.

Probably the best 1 season show ever.

Yeah, FireFly is indeed amazing. I was mostly complaining about a lack of currently airing scifi shows vs shows from the past. I am generally very hessitant to have them bring back an old show because you run a huge risk with that. Doctor Who has to be the rare exception to that, but that show has so much built into the core of the whoverse that makes it so easy to just pick up where you want to in the story and keep going. I don't know that would work in any other show... which is why as much as I love shows like Stargate and Star Trek, the only way to bring them back is as a new spin off... which has its own risks and a show like FireFly is pretty much done for good (especially after Serenity)