Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sci-Fi Faves...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some people qualify Lost as Sci-Fi. What is the radically advanced science that is central to Under the Dome? Appears more Fantasy than Sci-Fi. I guess if the egg thing and the dome come from an advanced alien civilization and not some supernatural phenomenon. That would put it just within the definition of Sci-Fi. But kind of weak Sci-Fi.

Under The Dome doesn't really have the magic content to make it fantasy or science content to make it Sci-Fi. It's really just horror. (I really didn't get why, given that they could see through the dome, why they didn't try to hack up some light-based communications, and being Maine there should have been more Dome tourism, but anyway...).

If TV disappeared entirely I'd not really care much,. but having said that ...

I'd also recommend people trying Continuum if they like Sci-Fi. Bit actors can be a bit off, but overall it has decent acting and the storyline has enough nuance to it to keep it interesting. Still waiting for news on season 4. All three seasons are streamable on Netflix.

For Doctor Who, just start from 2005. it's now Netflixable up to the end of the 7th season. Doctor Who's become kind of cool (like bow ties) so it's able to attract some good guest actors. Steven Moffat, who's responsible (with Mark Gatiss) for the British show Sherlock*, is the current lead writer and executive producer. (Mark Gatiss has also written some Doctor Who and appeared in an episode).

The old series had some good stories, but they didn't have the budget for good special effects or costumes. Tom Baker is still _The_ Doctor to me even though I was a bit young then. BBC could do worse than remake some of the old shows with the new budget, production values and effects.

Under The Dome doesn't really have the magic content to make it fantasy or science content to make it Sci-Fi. It's really just horror. (I really didn't get why, given that they could see through the dome, why they didn't try to hack up some light-based communications, and being Maine there should have been more Dome tourism, but anyway...).

It is a SciFi Horror, at least... if you read the book.

Spoiler Alert from the book
|
|
|
|
|
V
It is Aliens...

That being said, as I stated above King is purposely detracting from the book for critical elements so it becomes a different experience. But it does appear, at least initially, that the whole egg thing is still "alien" related, given that it came down in a meteorite.

And again, if you read the book, it really is quite the psychological horror. The TV show is really watered down in that respect. First, the degrade of the town happens MUCH quicker. We are already on day 17 (give or take) in the show, and the book all transpired in the span of about a week... to the point where the entire population of like 30-40k people are all dead except for like a couple dozen by the end. And people die in some pretty messed up ways. Jim really is an evil man... The show comes quite close to portraying that character in the same way... it is just more watered down so it doesn't go past what can be aired on CBS.

Anyway just my thoughts on the subject... Still enjoying the show, and I would still classify it as SciFi in some form or fashion...

I'd also recommend people trying Continuum if they like Sci-Fi. Bit actors can be a bit off, but overall it has decent acting and the storyline has enough nuance to it to keep it interesting. Still waiting for news on season 4. All three seasons are streamable on Netflix.

One of my favorite shows.

Rachel Nichols has said on social media that news of Season 4 would come in early August........

She has a small recurring role in the USA TV show Rush.

I hope that is not a bad sign.

I'm hoping someone makes the Mistborn trilogy (Brandon Sanderson) into a multipart series.

Just gave the 2005 Doctor Who a go. Not bad. I'll probably watch a bit more. In the end, I guess I just don't watch that much TV other than soccer and GoT. I'm too busy reading this forum:wink:

image.jpg

I'm hoping someone makes the Mistborn trilogy (Brandon Sanderson) into a multipart series.

Just gave the 2005 Doctor Who a go. Not bad. I'll probably watch a bit more. In the end, I guess I just don't watch that much TV other than soccer and GoT. I'm too busy reading this forum:wink:

It gets much better! They had almost zero budget when they brought the show back in 2005, even season 2 shows a huge improvement in the overall film quality (I am not just talking about special effects, but the whole package). I only recommend starting there just for continuity. Plus Rose is still one of my most favorite companions :)

I agree. Season 2 and 3 with David Tennant/Billie Piper are by far the best. They had great chemistry, the scripts were good and production values greatly improved over season 1. "Blink" and "The girl in the fireplace" is some of the best TV ever made.

You got that right. When Stephen Moffat is on track he writes some amazing pieces. I haven't been quite as amazed by him when he is running the show. "The Day of the Doctor" was pretty spectacular though.

How about Babylon 5?

How about Babylon 5?

B5 will give back if you're willing to invest. It looks a bit dated by now, and the acting can be clunky sometimes. The show was at its best in painting big vistas and concept, not so good when it came to personal interactions. If you can make it through the early seasons, it gets good in the 3rd season. The overall arcs are wonderful. You have to watch all episodes in order, it's a true serial. Be aware it was supposed to be a 5 year show, then in the middle of season 4 they were told season 5 was cancelled. They rushed the rest of season 4 to end it, then the network decided to do season 5 after all. So season 5 gets a bit weird.

Before there was the reboot of Battlestar Galactica, there was "Space: Above and Beyond". It similar to BSG in that it was about an aircraft carrier in space, an American supercarrier that was part of EarthForce, a fleet defending Earth from aliens in weird suits. The episodes were well written and even highly philosophical. That made up for the supremely inaccurate portrayal of military life. There was a lot of alcohol consumed on board the carrier.