Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sci-Fi Faves...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is inaccurate about drinking a TON of alcohol? Being a Marine I can say that there was a LOT of drinking involved to the point where I would call my fellow Marines borderline alcoholics... Just saying.

It's not the drinking in of itself, but the drinking on board a Navy carrier when it was deployed in a deep space war zone. In one scene, a Marine Lt. Colonel brazenly drinks whiskey on the flight deck. I believe this is prohibited under U.S. Navy General Orders.

Got to S02E08 of Farscape. It's shaping up nicely. I care about the characters. After starting out a bit campy, several of the main characters have very dark pasts.

Crichton starts out as the perfect nice guy, but he has quite a mean streak. The stuff he says to Chiana in "Crackers don't matter"...

Aeryn... wow... the stuff she did as a peace keeper...

Even Pilot has a past to be ashamed of.

Dark & twisted. Excellent.

2001: A Space Odyssey, by Stanley Kubrick
odyssey.jpg

Mesmerising

Before there was the reboot of Battlestar Galactica, there was "Space: Above and Beyond". It similar to BSG in that it was about an aircraft carrier in space, an American supercarrier that was part of EarthForce, a fleet defending Earth from aliens in weird suits. The episodes were well written and even highly philosophical. That made up for the supremely inaccurate portrayal of military life. There was a lot of alcohol consumed on board the carrier.

I have never heard of this show. According to Google one season on Fox. Too bad.

The dogfight between the alien stealth fighter ace, dubbed "Chiggy von Richthofen", and the squadron commander, Lt. Col. McQueen (a genetically engineered and artificially birthed human), is legendary. Probably even more so than Starbuck and stim-junkie Kat against Scar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M07ltuAYqzc (Don't watch if you don't want to spoil the ending of 1x16 "The Angriest Angel").

How about Blake's 7? Quirky show with bad special effects but interesting characters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blake's_7

I just looked up the "best of" lists and found this Top 50 Science Fiction films list that focuses on some of the best:

Top 50 Sci-Fi Movies - Film4

I would add Gattaca and Dark City for great science fiction films. The list had "Brazil" at number 3, so I knew whoever compiled it had similar tastes to me.

Last edited:
How about Blake's 7? Quirky show with bad special effects but interesting characters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blake's_7

Like Doctor Who, it suffered from bad special effects detracting from what was otherwise a good show. At least when I was you g I thought it was good.
I just looked up the "best of" lists and found this Top 50 Science Fiction films list that focuses on some of the best:

Top 50 Sci-Fi Movies - Film4

I would add Gattaca and Dark City for great science fiction films. The list had "Brazil" at number 3, so I knew whoever compiled it had similar tastes to me.

Film is UK's Channel 4's film channel, so it's on the artier side of things. Brazil is my favorite movie. My wife thinks I like weird movies, and Brazil can be seen as weird, but to me it's just great because, well, it's Terry Gilliam's best movie.

- - - Updated - - -

I strongly recommend the BBC series Black Mirror which can be streamed on Netflix. Each episode is a stand-alone story showing what might happen if technology goes wrong or too far. Fantastic, dark, thought-provoking stuff.

Saw some of it when my wife watched it. Definitely thought-provoking. As you noted, stand-alone stories so if you don't like one, skip to the next.

Finished Farscape a while back. It was good until it became all about John's undying love to Aeryn. Sappy and uninteresting from that point.

Although more of a character drama than real Sci-Fi, my latest fave is Orphan Black. Amazing lead actress (Tatiana Maslany) makes the show work. She also just landed the lead role in one of the upcoming Star Wars spin-off movies.

Not as strong as Orphan Black, but Continuum is also quite good.

The dogfight between the alien stealth fighter ace, dubbed "Chiggy von Richthofen", and the squadron commander, Lt. Col. McQueen (a genetically engineered and artificially birthed human), is legendary. Probably even more so than Starbuck and stim-junkie Kat against Scar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M07ltuAYqzc (Don't watch if you don't want to spoil the ending of 1x16 "The Angriest Angel").

yuck, just another space fight scene where they act like they are in atmosphere when they are supposed to be in vacuum. To see him grunting/straining against the g forces of a tight turn without any nearby massive object to give him something to pull against. A dogfight in deep space should be all math or tech, there shouldn't be any G force turns and gut instinct. Space is just too damn big for you to even see the other guy without some sort of HUD overlay.