Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sci-Fi Faves...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To see him grunting/straining against the g forces of a tight turn without any nearby massive object to give him something to pull against.

Umm... nothing scientific wrong with having G forces due to a tight turn. Assuming that the spacecraft can actually turn at > 1G acceleration, you would in fact be experiencing strong "gravitational" forces in the cabin. Einstein's theory of General Relativity asserts the equivalence of gravitational and inertial forces.

Umm... nothing scientific wrong with having G forces due to a tight turn. Assuming that the spacecraft can actually turn at > 1G acceleration, you would in fact be experiencing strong "gravitational" forces in the cabin. Einstein's theory of General Relativity asserts the equivalence of gravitational and inertial forces.

and that's the problem, look at the ship using thrusters in a zero g environment and it isn't going to do dog fighting swoops with those engines in zero g. It just isn't going to do all the maneuvers shown in that fight with those engines.

without a large mass to pull against the fights are going to be more abstract mathematics with serious navigational concerns than swooping fly by the seat of the pants goofiness.

watch a space shuttle or a falcon module dock with ISS in real time. You can do more than grab a cup of coffee while they close the distance and match velocities. Now imagine trying to match velocities with something that is avoiding you. If you aren't on the same path and velocity you and your opponent will have a hard time being anywhere near each other and will be firing either beam weapons or smart ammo with its own thrusters (think drone/missle) and the computer will do all the math to get to the target. You sure don't need to get your craft close and behind a target to spray drone/missles at him.

Last edited:
and that's the problem, look at the ship using thrusters in a zero g environment and it isn't going to do dog fighting swoops with those engines in zero g. It just isn't going to do all the maneuvers shown in that fight with those engines.

without a large mass to pull against the fights are going to be more abstract mathematics with serious navigational concerns than swooping fly by the seat of the pants goofiness.

watch a space shuttle or a falcon module dock with ISS in real time. You can do more than grab a cup of coffee while they close the distance and match velocities. Now imagine trying to match velocities with something that is avoiding you. If you aren't on the same path and velocity you and your opponent will have a hard time being anywhere near each other and will be firing either beam weapons or smart ammo with its own thrusters (think drone/missle) and the computer will do all the math to get to the target. You sure don't need to get your craft close and behind a target to spray drone/missles at him.

Harlan Ellison, a very famous writer and screenwriter, is notorious for being a stickler for realism and accuracy. He fought banking turns in space and sound effects for years and finally gave up on it. Hollywood will never drop banking turns in space even though it makes no sense. There is no visual drama in accurate space maneuvering. Even the movie Gravity was filled with scientific inaccuracies and scientific stupidity yet they kept them in because it added tension and drama. You can put scientific accuracy into certain films but you'll never lose the whoosh of a spaceship zooming through space in a banking aircraft-like turn. It's just not gonna happen.

Film is UK's Channel 4's film channel, so it's on the artier side of things. Brazil is my favorite movie. My wife thinks I like weird movies, and Brazil can be seen as weird, but to me it's just great because, well, it's Terry Gilliam's best movie.

When I was studying film it drew me in to the amazing complexity. One of the most incredible things about it is that it is two different films. The first time you watch it you are in the main characters shoes. After you have seen it and know what will happen to him the second viewing is an almost completely different, equally entertaining, film.

I really enjoyed Continuum - except its last season, that I just skipped through.

For me the Altered Carbon - Season 1 is the best SCI-FI show of late. By far. Season 2 is meh.

Stuff I like:

Link - The Machine (2013)

I am Mother /Netflix/

I liked Chappie (2015) too.

Check out Europa Report (2013) /Netflix?/

I hadn't realized that Doug Drexler worked on BSG: Blood and Chrome. He along w/Michael Okuda sometimes post good stuff to their FB pages.

Today, Doug posted
. Was really cool to see the actual footage of some shots w/green screen all over vs. very little in the way of physical props vs. actual. Video has about 10.5 minutes of content.