TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Scientific American: 10 Emerging Technologies for 2019

Discussion in 'Energy, Environment, and Policy' started by RubberToe, Nov 26, 2019.

1. RubberToe

RubberToe Supporting the greater good

Interesting article. The 8th entry is for safer nuclear based on fuel pellet housing, and #10 is "UTILITY-SCALE ENERGY STORAGE WILL ENABLE A RENEWABLE GRID"

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/top-10-emerging-technologies-of-2019/

I was hoping given the usual detailed content of the magazine to maybe learn something new. Not the case. They mentioned several possibilities that we are all aware of: batteries, pumped hydro, flow batteries, hydrogen fuel cell, gravity storage (block towers). It was a pretty short article.

I was hoping to hear something about "long duration" storage, but I guess the first nut to crack would be the quantity stored, and the follow up nut would be storing it from summer to winter.

RT

2. nwdiver

nwdiver Well-Known Member

Sweet... pretty soon the nuclear plants we won't build because they're too expensive will be even safer! :)

Though to be fair I think we can also use this new type of fuel in out dwindling fleet of existing reactors.