Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scoob’s sound proofing before & after experiment...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...and total weight added. I feel like those two data points are super important since weight is the biggest negative (other than cost/time) to insulating vehicles and one of the big reasons Tesla chose to skimp on this aspect since the cars are already super heavy compared to other sedans in the segment.
I'm estimating 40lbs when all is done. If I was after weight reduction I could gut the Car I suppose but that is not my goal here. In the full scheme of things adding such a nominal amount of weight will make zero difference. However many benefits to be gained by adding the MLV. Maybe I could have you come out and perform a Temperature retaining study? Or benefits of ear fatigue with insulation vs non insulation?

I'm estimating 40lbs when all is done. If I was after weight reduction I could gut the Car I suppose but that is not my goal here. In the full scheme of things adding such a nominal amount of weight will make zero difference. However many benefits to be gained by adding the MLV. Maybe I could have you come out and perform a Temperature retaining study? Or benefits of ear fatigue with insulation vs non insulation?
Another tip, I reduced weight to compensate for my sound dampening by changing the 12v battery out to an Ohmmu. This saved ~18 pounds.

Reactions: Rossy and LN1_Casey
...and total weight added. I feel like those two data points are super important since weight is the biggest negative (other than cost/time) to insulating vehicles and one of the big reasons Tesla chose to skimp on this aspect since the cars are already super heavy compared to other sedans in the segment.
I don't think Tesla Omitted additional insulation to prevent adding weight. I think it has much more to do with production cost and time invested in order to do so. I wouldn't really expect the level of effort that I'm putting in from any Manufacture really.

Last edited:
Would you mind letting us know how much this cost you, once the work is done?
Material for the bulk roll MLV is less than $200. I got in touch directly with the Manufacture and purchased a 4x25ft roll for $160. The Self Adhesive Butyl is Noico Brand which will be used for areas like plastic panels to prevent rattling. The Noico I want to say is $68 per box.(I purchased 2)

The Labor is at $50 an hour. I'm guessing when all said and done 20 hours of labor plus the above-mentioned material. All in $1300 to $1400. Well worth the money for the added benefit of temperature insulation, and for my ear pleasure.

Material for the bulk roll MLV is less than $200. I got in touch directly with the Manufacture and purchased a 4x25ft roll for $160. The Self Adhesive Butyl is Noico Brand which will be used for areas like plastic panels to prevent rattling. The Noico I want to say is $68 per box.(I purchased 2)

The Labor is at $50 an hour. I'm guessing when all said and done 20 hours of labor plus the above-mentioned material. All in $1300 to $1400. Well worth the money for the added benefit of temperature insulation, and for my ear pleasure.

Thank you very much. I'll be watching your thread, for post-installation updates and before-after decibel readings.

Where in California are you?

Reactions: Rossy
Thank you very much. I'll be watching your thread, for post-installation updates and before-after decibel readings.

Where in California are you?
You're welcome. I have benefited so much from others taking time to post their projects. I'll do my best to give back to the community the same.
I live Northern California. About 30 mins outside of Roseville / Rocklin.

Reactions: avesraggiana
You're welcome. I have benefited so much from others taking time to post their projects. I'll do my best to give back to the community the same.
I live Northern California. About 30 mins outside of Roseville / Rocklin.

Wow, scooby, I didn't realize how close you are! Are you towards Loomis or Sacramento? I am near Folsom and would love an opportunity to do an A/B test against our Raven S please, if possibe, after you're done?

Speaking of soundproofing, have you guys noticed low frequency buffeting-like noise, most likely caused by the rear hatch vibrating?

I notice it only at certain speeds (45-55mph) and on certain roads, not necessarily bad roads. I keep messing with the hatch adjustment points and have got it better but I feel the sweet spot is still eluding me. Or there's something else I should try...

Speaking of soundproofing, have you guys noticed low frequency buffeting-like noise, most likely caused by the rear hatch vibrating?

I notice it only at certain speeds (45-55mph) and on certain roads, not necessarily bad roads. I keep messing with the hatch adjustment points and have got it better but I feel the sweet spot is still eluding me. Or there's something else I should try...
I have messed with my adjustments also. Yes the Buffeting Noise is very annoying when it does happen.

Reactions: Rossy
Slight non sequitur - these "noise reduction kits" for the Model 3 are ubiquitous on the internet. Have similar kits been made for the Model S and Model X?

My Model X could definitely use any help in road and wind noise reduction.
I haven't seen any kits advertised for the Model S. Have seen a ton for the 3 however I bet a door sill kit would go a long way if someone were to test and make an effective one.

Do you have a parcel shelf? I have never really noticed an issue with this, I have one and use it all the time, but I recall reading a thread a few years ago where some claimed a difference with the parcel shelf.

Reactions: avesraggiana
Hi webbah. It seems that you have ecxelent results! Where did you buy your mats? I could not find a dealer in Switzerland
Hi there, I bought them through a local shop in Geneva. Audio Prestige. The owner is Yvan. He’s a very competent guy with these things and also appreciates guys like me that want to DIY. He even lent me some of the tools I needed to do the job and only sold me the material.

I’m pretty happy with the Raven Model X noise wise. Model 3 was just awful (tin can).

I did find a problem on the Model X in that the inside gasket along the top of the door panel was not sealing against the glass, only when the door was shut. The glass was adjusted poorly. After I adjusted it, it’s been pure bliss. With that gasket not sealed it defeats all the sound insulation on the back of the door panel, of which there was plenty. Not as quiet as my Jeep Summit was with acoustic glass and active noise cancelation but close.

One thing you can’t control on Tesla’s is all the glass. There is a lot of it, it’s thin and not acoustic glass. This is where a lot of noise comes from. Considering how much glass is in the Model X I can’t ask for more. I think the new suspension helps. And currently on 19” winter tire package. I don’t look forward to putting the summer 20’s back on.

P.S. I would have done a recording and RTA analysis (with Audacity) for a base line measurement. SPL meters are useless for this stuff. The loudest peak is not always the worst offender.

P.P.S. The sunscreen did help a lot on Model 3. Cut down noise reflection above your head. Model X sunscreen does not work out so well. But it may help Model S just as much as it did the 3. I’ve seen some folks put thinsulate above the sunscreen on Model 3.